Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 1612 Russian epic Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Hanna

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: 1612 Russian epic         Reply with quote

This movie looks awsome, can't wait until it makes it to the US. One of the best looking films I've seen in a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKkc1CVSAc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CYC_XC5PA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7iQPyThoZ0&feature=related

Watch all three, great action

Mark
Mark Hanna

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These guys are planning a battle of Konopop 1659 reenactment the 2nd weekend in Oct at the Ukrainian homestead, PA. Cossacks vs Muskovites with lots of western mercinaries. Start making gear now!

the organizers with lots of links

http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm

Mark
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good clips. I have to put a plug in for "Altriste" staring Viggo Mortensen. There's been a thread on the pike combat scenes here if you want to look for them. The film is entertaining and as far as I can tell, historically accurate. My wife really enjoyed it, too, and she isn't one for these types of movies. Must be the love stuff. It is subtitled (are you Arn folks reading this, I hope?), but is easy to follow. I ordered a copy from Amazon but it can probably be googled, too. Great stuff!
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Mark Hanna

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool maybe this will breath some life back into 17th century reenacting. Here is a sinopsis of the battle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Konotop

Mark
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: 1612 - Russian epic         Reply with quote

After watching 1612's trailer I noticed that there is a unicorn.
I have no idea why would the filmmakers add a fabled creature into events that do occur in 1612.
Mark Hanna

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apparently this movie is already out in russian but in PAL format. I think you can watch it on a PC. I was told to fast forward when you see a unicorn. probably a fable connected with the storyline.

Mark
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just caught this film this evening. They had a copy of it down at the local souq here, so I picked it up for $2.00:

I was really suprised at the amount of historical accuracy in the film. There were some inconsistancies, naturally - but all in all, I found it to be a pleasant suprise. Though I am not an expert in the period, the Hussar armor looked spot on to what I have seen in historical literature. It's nice to see this realized in film on some level. At least they tried, there were not vikings in leather scale armor and fur, no Gatling gun matchlocks, and no magical glowing swords, etc...

The film is fairly gorey, not something you'd want to share with the kids - or in my case, the wife. It's got a hefty bit of really up close and personal weapon work, including some pretty wicked decapitations achieved by firing linked chain out of cannon. I don't mind, but some people might, so I will mention it...

The unicorn is simply an allegorical vision featured in the film, like a prophetic dream sequence. So, to me, its not bothersome. Actually, as far as unicorns go, I'd suppose its a pretty well-rendered one. Laughing Out Loud

I'd recommend this, if you can find it. It's really not a bad film...

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 1612 Russian epic
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic