Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > NJ Moves to Regulate (ban) Martial Arts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: NJ Moves to Regulate (ban) Martial Arts         Reply with quote

NJ has moved to regulate all martial arts classes in the state, requiring licensing of all instructors and regulatory oversight of martial arts schools. The way they are written, they would in effect amount to a ban on martial arts schools due to insane requirements and costs. This would effect everyone who teaches any martial arts class including leaders of WMA/HEMA study groups, requiring them to go through 150-300 hours of classroom courses and a rigid licensing process.

And for those of you that don't live in New Jersey, if this act manages to get passed- even in part- and starts pulling money from the state's fitness oriented businesses, it won't be long before other states get the same idea. The impact that this bill would have on martial artists cannot be understated.

A facebook group has been started to promote opposition to these bills: http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46106899456

More info & what you can do:

Current bills in both the NJ State Assembly A3356 and the NJ State Senate S2164, (known as the “Fitness Professional Licensing Act”) that will potentially eliminate many martial arts schools in New Jersey (as well as a number of other fitness related professions such as health clubs, fitness centers, Yoga and Pilates studios, etc.). This legislation seeks to impose unreasonable regulations and licensing requirements as well as significantly increasing the fees associated with running certain fitness related businesses. This could force many of these small businesses to close their doors while the surviving ones will be have to increase the overall cost of their services.

We urge you to contact your state legislators and tell them that you oppose the “Fitness Professionals Licensing Act”. We would also suggest registering your opposition directly with the sponsors of these bills as well.

• Assemblyman Joseph J. Roberts, Jr.
District 5 (Camden and Gloucester)
(856)742-7600
Sponsor of A3356

• Senator Paul A. Sarlo
District 36 (Bergen, Essex and Passaic)
(201)804-8118
Sponsor of S2164

To find your legislator(s), you can go to http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/ and click on the “Find your Legislator” link on the left hand side of the screen (under the “Members” heading).

Being concerned voters, we feel this bill infringes upon our constitutional freedom as citizens. We view the martial arts not as mere physical fitness, but as a way of life and as a means of artistic self-expression.

By imposing additional regulations and license requirements and fees, especially in such a difficult economic environment will place undue burden on these small business owners. Please work with us to remove this proposed act.

You can read both bills in their entirety at:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A3500/3356_I1.HTM

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/S2500/2164_I1.HTM

You can also write the Governor here:

http://www.state.nj.us/governor/govmail.html

Following it up with a postal mail letter is also suggested.

Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-292-6000
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The elections over but seemingly theres no end to the political headline grabbing. This looks to be pretty important, not just to practicioners and teachers but also to makers who supply the tools of the trade. If this foolishness get ahold and gets legs in other states it sure won't help the arms and armour economy. I believe i'll be doing some engaging of politicians tommorow.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan, anything you and anyone else can do to help fight this would be appreciated.
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This looks awful. I read through the first one and it says you would need an associate's degree or a bachelor's degree in some form of physical education to continue, plus passing the other "classroom hours" and various tests. That seems extreme. The entire thing is absurd, what do they hope to gain anyway? Money?
Nathan.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It excludes Not For Profit groups. At least SCA and most WMA groups are under the radar. Its really silly to require gyms and fitness centers to get licenses. Its just adding more red-tape to an already over bloated bureaucratic system. It is completely absurd because fitness comes in some many forms that there can be no standards for licensing. Unfortunate, more government in you pants seems to be what the American people voted for and want. Good luck, to everyone.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
excludes Not For Profit groups. At least SCA and most WMA groups are under the radar.

I read that, but if they find they can actually make money off this I can't say i'm sure that won't change to skim so more cash to fund overspending.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We are likely to see more of this, perhaps even on a national level. The almost overwhelming majority of Democrats in Congress will enable passage, or at least allow more attempts at passage, of legislation designed to protect us from ourselves, protection that we have not needed before and do not need now.

Right now the new administration must handle the economic situation first. Once it is felt that the economy is under control they will turn to other things. I would say we will see this begin in about twelve months.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To All:

Speculation and knee-jerk reactions do not help us. Please moderate yourselves.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Jason and Mr. Senefelder,

I recommend that you get dance instructors involved as well. The way that they conduct business is very similar to the way in which martial arts instructors do so. To a greater or lesser degree, this is also true of sports clubs offering instruction in, for example, modern fencing, racket sports, or golf, which are often divorced from other forms of exercise and physical training. And given the provisions of the law, it's not unreasonable to make the point that dance (fencing, tennis, golf, etc.) instructors could well be next--or that the proposed law very easily could be extended to cover them. My guess is that the number of people who take dance lessons or who send their children to dance schools is significantly greater than that of people who study martial arts or who send their kids to martial-arts schools.

I hope that this proves a useful suggestion.

Best,

Mark Millman
Ted Parolari

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone have a clue about why these Assemblymen think these bills are necessary? In order to fight such legislation, we must know the reason behind it.
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty much ...well surprised. Like the above post, other than potential revenue, what benefit does this provide to citizens of the state? Are there numerous deadly assaults by martial arts practicioners in New Jersey? Are they committing a large number of crimes where their martial abilities and training give thnm an advantage? Absurd.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ted Parolari wrote:
Does anyone have a clue about why these Assemblymen think these bills are necessary? In order to fight such legislation, we must know the reason behind it.

Unfortunately legislatures only seem to get credit for how many new laws they can get passed. That is what they hype when up for reelection and people buy it. The way it should work is that they get credit for how many stupid laws they can get repealed.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Stark,

On Thursday 6 November 2008, you wrote:
I'm pretty much ...well surprised. Like the above post, other than potential revenue, what benefit does this provide to citizens of the state? Are there numerous deadly assaults by martial arts practicioners in New Jersey? Are they committing a large number of crimes where their martial abilities and training give thnm an advantage? Absurd.

Do keep in mind that this measure is not specifically targeted at martial-arts schools. They're included in the greater context of gyms, fitness centers, and sports-training facilities.

While I disagree with the proposed rule, I don't find it incomprehensible that somebody might genuinely see a need to regulate fitness instructors and personal trainers in much the same way that, for example, accountants, physical therapists, daycare workers, and architects are regulated.

Best,

Mark Millman

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > NJ Moves to Regulate (ban) Martial Arts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic