Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New axe by Manning Imperial Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: New axe by Manning Imperial         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just thought I'd show you my new two-handed axe made by Manning Imperial. The attached pictures were taken earlier today and shows the axe head unhafted. By now, it is hafted, but unfortunately I don't have access to the camera anymore. For you to see the haft, I would have to take the pictures with a cell phone, which I will try later, and if they turn out all right, I will post them here.

It's a Dane axe (listed as 'Norwegian axe' on Manning Imperial's website), made in mild steel and with a carbon steel edge at around 10"/25.5 cm. The haft is ash and 5' 0.6"/154 cm long. I don't know if they used any specific historical piece for inspiration, but I think that you can clearly see the resemblance to the piece below.

Description of the piece above, taken from www.museumoflondonprints.com:
Quote:
This triangular iron axe blade has its edge curved downward. The lower part of the socket has an eared projection and there are traces of wood in the socket. This blade is part of a group of axes, axe blades and spears that were found during building works at the north end of London Bridge in the 1920s. They may have been lost in battle or thrown into the river by the victors in celebration. In the late 900s and early 1000s Scandinavian rulers like Swein Forkbeard of Denmark and Olaf Tryggvason of Norway tried to gain control of the Danelaw and of the rest of England, and eventually Swein’s son Cnut won the English throne. There were a number of battles along the Thames and around London Bridge.

Regards,

Sonni
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As promised, here's some pictures of it hafted. They actually turned out better than I imagined, but I scaled them down so you don't have to download them to see them.

What do you think? Personally I'm very happy with it, and I think Craig of Manning Imperial did a very great job making it.

Regards,

Sonni
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that the haft has been treated with some tung oil, I thought I'd just show you yet another picture of it.
Regards,

Sonni
Daniel Michaelsson

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jun, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice axe, very close to the original and the pits in the metal of the reproduction give it a great battle-worn aesthetic. I've seen examples of this type before, and I wonder what would be the difference in performance/purpose of this in comparison to the more familiar Dane-axe design? Perhaps more of a slicing cut than a chop?

I'd love to hear hear how it handles aswell.
Bryson Cadle

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking of ordering one of these and would be interested how it handled as well? Good chopper? Their "Thames Axe" looks nice as well.
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love these big axes and that is a very nice example.

Just out of interest, have you fitted the head from the top of the haft down, or from the bottom up. I only ask because there doesn't seem to be much of a flair at the top of the shaft to keep the head on when it's being swung.

Cheers,
D.
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryson Cadle wrote:
I was thinking of ordering one of these and would be interested how it handled as well? Good chopper? Their "Thames Axe" looks nice as well.

I haven't handled many axes, but due to the thin, light head and the long haft I would say it's the ideal chopper. The angle probably has something to do with it as well. Wink

Darrin Hughes wrote:

Just out of interest, have you fitted the head from the top of the haft down, or from the bottom up. I only ask because there doesn't seem to be much of a flair at the top of the shaft to keep the head on when it's being swung.

Cheers,
D.

It is indeed hafted from the top down, but the head was hammered on and the wedges are glued in place, so I'm pretty sure it won't go anywhere. Happy

Regards,

Sonni
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are they hafted or sold as heads? Looking through your site it seems they're only "heads".

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Are they hafted or sold as heads? Looking through your site it seems they're only "heads".

M.

You would have to order it hafted I think. But then again, I'm not sure if they ship polearms overseas because of shipping prices. Worth a try though, isn't it?

Regards,

Sonni
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:

Cheers,
D.

fitting from the bottom up is a real pain.. but really worth it for the added strength and piece of mind. You know it won't go anywhere no matter how much you swing it. Here's mine, I planed it by hand for a good hour so I could attach head from bottom up.

Attachment: 61.92 KB
axe.jpg

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New axe by Manning Imperial
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic