Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your favorite military firearm Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Your favorite military firearm         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Id really like to see some of your favorite Military firearms in your collection. I dont mind what period they are, originals and very nice reproductions would be nice to see.

I have a thing for Lee Enfields....But I have also ordered a matchlock cavalier to suit my 17thc Polish impression. I am also going to try and get my hands on a Radom made Mauser from Poland. Hard to find in Australia.

Anyway, later today I will post 2-3 of my favorites in my collection.

Thanks

Nick
Michael Ahrens

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I can say is Rifle Caliber .30 M1. The M1 Garand. Like George Patton once said " the M1 is the greatest battle implement ever created".
Mike Ahrens
http://www.selohaar.org/

Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
Ken Berry

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats a hard question to answer. I own a P17 Enfield that I used for WW1 reenacting and I am partial to it. It is sturdy and very accurate (yes I fired it live a few times on the range). I believe its what Alvin York used to earn his MOH on the Argonne Forest. I carried an M16 a1 and an a2 version while in the service and really liked the a2. M1 is a nice one too, although I have never fired one, I have talked to many that have including WW2 and Korean War vets and none of them had a complaint all sang its praises.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh darn, it has to be in my collection? I was going to say the MK-19, it's my baby. I wept when my uncle Sam took mine back Cry Laughing Out Loud
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool!

Anyway here are 4 favorites...lol, but I like others I have too!

1 Savage, No4 MkI*
2 P1917 ....Yes I agree, lovely rifle
3 Lithgow, No1 MkIII with volley sights, 1916 date.
4 RSAF, Long Lee Enfield MkI*

Cheers

N

Attachment: 93.19 KB
[ Download ]
Li Jin

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Guns         Reply with quote

I don't have any gun collections. The Avtomat Kalashnikova obraztsa 1947 aka AK47, and German Sturmgewehr 44.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The M-1 Garand. The first semi-automatic military firearm in general use, it is accurate, sturdy and hard-hitting. It was handicapped primarily by its eight round en bloc clip. However, an experienced soldier could reload very quickly. Its accuracy means that it is still a favorite with high power shooters today. I have one, and have enjoyed shooting it. I will post a photo later this weekend.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of contenders;
-the Mg34-Mg42-Mg3 family machine guns, for revolutionizing infantry sqaud firepower. And, oh.. the sound :P
-StG44-for combining automatic fire, large magazine capacity and decent range for the first time.
-16th c wheelock pistols! Because they are so pretty.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Allen W

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The M-14 has always been my favorite service rifle. Had we kept it I believe it would have evolved into the M-1A Bush Rifle in short order.
Kimon Andreou

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

since we're talking firearms in general and not only long arms, I will say that my #1 favorite is the venerable M1911
It also happens to be my every day carry Happy
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've only used the G3 and M2 .50 so far (not counting the 155mm M109 howitzer). I'm quite fond of the G3, despite the weigth and recoil.
My Home Guard unit is schedueled to recieve the HK416 first quarter 2009, but I haven't tried it yet. However, people that have say its very neat in deed. Though, compared to the G3, its someting of a toy gun :P

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Like every one in Aussie land will know....Unless you are in the armed forces or law enforcement, farmer or armourer, The average collector/shooter can not own semi auto or automatic firearms Mad Anyway we can own semi automatic pistols and revolvers on a collectors license as long as they have historical value and adhere to the theme of your collection. So I can own a Webley in .455 or a colt 1911.

Pistol licenses are available too for sport shooting.

I have fired a Bren...God was that fun!!!

I love the M1 Garand, but unless gun laws change, I doubt I will ever hold one!!!

Anyway would love to own the following ( yes Im dreaming)

.303 Vickers
.303 Lewis LMG
.303 Bren LMG
M1 Garand
L1A1 SLR by Lithgow.

Anyway, Im not up too speed on some of the modern military firearms you guys have mentioned.....apart from the SLR my interest stops with allied weapons of ww2.

So post pics if you like.

Cheers

N
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always been fond of the 1903 Springfield. I had a 1903-A1 for a couple of years, but it was not nearly as "pretty" as the original 1903s. And I have maintained a close personal relationship with various 1911 derivatives for the last 25 years, and set back a nice pair manufactured in 1932 and 1934. Big Grin

Moderns that I have a lot of experience with and am fond of are: various M16 configurations, Thompsons, Uzis, and H&K MP5s of all types. Also, Browning Hi-Powers and Glocks. Not a big fan of the Kalashnikov family though.
Bill Love

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Handguns

Revolvers: The S&W M&P/Model 10/Victory Model, etc. Not pretty, but basic and reliable. My favorite bullet launcher of all time.

Semi-Auto: The Beretta 92/M9. I have a Centurion in DAO and it simply doesn't jam, ever. Also the Browning Hi-Power in MKIII configuration, with external extractor and fixed sights.

Long Guns

Browning BAR-Need I say more?

SMLE MkIII-See above.

"History is a set of lies agreed upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favorite long arm weapons that I have fired:

MG3 Medium Machinegun
M2 Browning Heavy Machinegun
M1AM14 Rifle
M16A2 Rifle

For hanguns:

SIG/Sauer Model 229
SIG/Sauer Model 220
Glock Model 35
Glock Model 22

I've fired many others, but the above are ones I own or like the best.
Ted Parolari

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had a love affair with the M-14 for many years. I'm in the process of getting another as I type this. Need to sell another rifle before I can complete the deal though. I also have a Isaphore 2A (Indian Manufactured version of the Lee-Enfield MK III) in 7.62x51mm (.308 Win) that is fun to shoot as well. My other favorite rifle in an old Remington Model 513 .22lr. It's my squrriel gun and super accurate!

My favorite handguns are a Springfield 1911a1, an Old .38spl Colt Agent and a Ruger MKII .22lr Target Pistol.

Interesting observation is that a lot of us love those old Enfields. They are great old rifles! You still see a lot of them here in the states.

For general plinking and target shooting, it's really hard to beat a .22!!!

Curt Cummins

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an Uberti reproduction of a Smith and Wesson Schofield in .45lc. The gun is treat to shoot and to my mind an advanced design for its day.

My funnest gun is a Bushmaster AR 15 - what it will do to milkjugs full of water.

Most fun shooting trick - but not at a public range. Get 30-06 tracers at the gun show and shoot at ballons filled with acetylene.

Curt

Ye braggarts and awe be a'skeered and awa, frae Brandoch Daha
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Acetylene lol.....yes, we have a few tricks with that stuff too!!! WASN'T ME THOUGH!!

Anyway, Im waiting for my matchlock, and here is a pic.

And a great gunsmith who specializes in such weapons. Hes nice to talk too, and sent me a catalogue. His works are fantastic.

http://www.engerisser.de/Bewaffnung/weapons/Firearms.html

Attachment: 22.95 KB
(527).2.gif

R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, in my collection, my favorite is my M1 Garand. Next favorite is my Mauser K-98. The guns I've had the most fun shooting are the 105mm main gun on an M-60 tank, it's coaxially mounted 7.62mm machine gun, the M-2 .50 cal. heavy machine gun (that one will reach out and touch someone), and the M-16 A1. I have to include the old colt .45 as a part of my collection and one that was fun to shoot, too.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your favorite military firearm
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic