Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information on Albion Oakeshott? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Information on Albion Oakeshott?         Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering getting an Albion Oakeshott type Xa. Besides the inrtoductory thread and one running in early July 2008, there hasn't been that much talk about this model. Can anyone who owns or has wielded this sword please tell me what they think of it?
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Roger,

I own it. The hollow ground blade is the coolest part. The hilt is a bit plain in comparison. I lightly antiqued the hilt on mine to give it a little more character. The handling is very light and quick without a lot of blade presence. For some reason it reminds me of a light military dress saber. I haven't cut anything with it so I don't know it would perform in that regard. I may have gone with the Chevalier but I've only seen the concept art on it. I think one it's worthwhile to own one of them since this blade is not one you see reproduced ad nauseum.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Nathan.

I'm still trying to decide between this one and other models like the Knight, the Burgundian and the Steward - stimulated by the 25% off sale. But the Oakeshott seems like the Medieval sword at itsdeceptively simple best.[/i]
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hopefully the chevalier will be available soon so I can also make my decision between these two models. Don't forget that the Oakeshott is a museum caliber sword in the sense that it is near identical (within 1-2 mm I think) to the original museum piece from which it is based. Nonetheless, the concept art of the Chevalier caught my attention since the first day I saw Albion's website.

I don't know, maybe since I plan on going to the Blade show in Vegas, I will be able to see both models by then and make the most informed decison possible. I'm slightly leaning towards the oakeshott, it just depends on how the chevalier turns out...
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My recollection is that Peter Johnsson said the differences were that the fuller had a true radius instead of being flat as the original is and the Oakeshott is some 15 grams lighter. It is going to be the next single handed sword I order.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
My recollection is that Peter Johnsson said the differences were that the fuller had a true radius instead of being flat as the original is and the Oakeshott is some 15 grams lighter. It is going to be the next single handed sword I order.

That is my recollection as well. I would like them to do a sword with a flat fuller. I'm not sure if that is more difficult for them to render via the CNC.... Maybe they'll do a Museum Line version of the sword that the Oakeshott is based on. (Although that would annoy me since I already own the Oakeshott)

Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just ordered the Oakeshott, taking advantage of the 10 year Albion sale. I'll see it sometime between now and January.
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I just ordered the Oakeshott, taking advantage of the 10 year Albion sale. I'll see it sometime between now and January.

Congrats! You'll love it. Don't be suprised if it shows up sooner than later. They've been very quick lately from what I've seen. What grip color did you order btw?

Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, has anyone ordered the chevalier? Happy

I suspect both the oakeshott and the chevalier will be present at the Vegas blade show in Jan, so I may as well wait for the show to see both... I suspect I'll order the Oakeshott, but the Chevalier concept art is very intriguing, enough to warrant waiting to check out both first... more motivation to go to the Vegas show also....

Last edited by Chris Artman on Mon 20 Oct, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:

Congrats! You'll love it. Don't be suprised if it shows up sooner than later. They've been very quick lately from what I've seen. What grip color did you order btw?

I chose black . It doesn't seem like the type of sword that wants a colorful grip. Something somber seems right. Mike Sigman said that Campaign Brown also works well for this sword.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion Oakeshott that I ordered from the October sale has just arrived.

The original, of course is Xa.1 in Oakeshott's Records He described it as the finest Medieval sword ever made.

I've only had a few minutes with the sword, but so far this recreation lives up to what Oakeshott said about the original. It has a fine, austere beauty that is really brought out by the hollow ground, it is, and feels amazingly light (mine weighs 2.47 lbs.) and may be the liveliest of all my swords.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger, when I recently had the chance to handle an Oakeshott, I could hardly believe how it felt in hand. The fact is here is a sword that is an amost perfect replication of a significant historical example, so therfore authenticity is established which makes it more impressive than simply having a modern engineered sword that is as light as possible.

After handling the Oakeshott and picking up my Knight immediately afterwards, I noticed a significant difference between the two swords.

How about some photo's?

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:

After handling the Oakeshott and picking up my Knight immediately afterwards, I noticed a significant difference between the two swords.

Can you elaborate please mate?
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor I didn't want to type this but in my mind when I picked up my Knight after handling the Oakeshott I thought, wow this feels like a brick now. This is only an instantaneous reaction and has no real bearing on the performance of the sword, in fact it is irrelevant but in honesty that was my first thought based on simply holding the swords, not swinging them or anything like that. The Knight is an absolutely great sword and my favourite of those I own (Regent, Knight, Machiavelli & Sovereign), I haven't cut with the Oakeshott, so subject to cutting with it and thus far based on what I have experienced of it I would say I would prefer to have it over any of the other swords I have held.

I can't explain why the Oakeshott feels so good in hand. I have a sword of very simlar length and weight (the Machiavelli) but they feel noticeably different. I can only guess that due to the fuller on the Oakeshott being longer and deeper, and with significant hollow grinding it reduces the weight out towards the point, so even though length, weight and even POB are similar (the Machiavelli's is about 1 inch further out) it results in two very different swords. Also the Oakeshotts pommel is by far the most comfortable I have ever experienced. Nothing compares to how comfortable it feels when moving the sword.

Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
I can't explain why the Oakeshott feels so good in hand. I have a sword of very simlar length and weight (the Machiavelli) but they feel noticeably different. I can only guess that due to the fuller on the Oakeshott being longer and deeper, and with significant hollow grinding it reduces the weight out towards the point, so even though length, weight and even POB are similar (the Machiavelli's is about 1 inch further out) it results in two very different swords. Also the Oakeshotts pommel is by far the most comfortable I have ever experienced. Nothing compares to how comfortable it feels when moving the sword.

The Oakeshott also has a complex distal taper which strongly contributes to its both handling well and cutting well. See Peter Johnsson's comments in the introductory thread - http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...+oakeshott -

I wish I had a camera so that I could show you photos of this sword. The hollow grounding is amazing.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
Taylor I didn't want to type this but in my mind when I picked up my Knight after handling the Oakeshott I thought, wow this feels like a brick now. This is only an instantaneous reaction and has no real bearing on the performance of the sword, in fact it is irrelevant but in honesty that was my first thought based on simply holding the swords, not swinging them or anything like that. The Knight is an absolutely great sword and my favourite of those I own (Regent, Knight, Machiavelli & Sovereign), I haven't cut with the Oakeshott, so subject to cutting with it and thus far based on what I have experienced of it I would say I would prefer to have it over any of the other swords I have held.

Thanks for your feedback mate!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information on Albion Oakeshott?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic