Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard patterns of the First Crusades? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Scabbard patterns of the First Crusades?         Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Once I get some funds freed up, I am strongly considering commissioning a scabbard for my Albion Stamford.

Since the Poor Knights of the Temple of Jerusalem are one of my areas of interest, I am considering a scabbard pattern (and subsequent fittings) that would have been appropriate for the First Crusades. I realize that my Stamford's pattern is somewhat pre-Christian (but not by much), but I think it might have been close enough to the cruciform to be not entirely out of place. As the first Templars were somewhat lacking in funds, I figure that a slightly-out-of-fashion hilt pattern would be rather appropriate. If anyone sees a glaring mistake in my logic, please let me know.

Anyway, as there aren't many scabbard pictures from this era in The Sword in the Age of Chivalry, I would like to know what sort of details I should be looking for in terms of shape, decoration, mounting, and belt.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the reading I've done on the first crusade I cam across little descrption of scabbards used by the knights
what I have found suggests that their scabards were simple wooden ones probably leather coated with an
ornate metal tip like in this diagram http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mitchtanz/crusaderssx.jpg

many of the images I've seen for the later crusades show scabbards again wooden and leather coated
with a criss cross leather wrapping running down it again there that have metal tips ths reconstruction
gives the general idea of the design
http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00158/ima...rsword.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard patterns of the First Crusades?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic