Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fighting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Keith Harrell-Steward

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Fighting         Reply with quote

I have been fighting with various groups for some time, I would like to expand my skills. Does anyone know of documents that are translated into modern English for us easily confused by language or terms 500 years old?

Any help or leads is appreciated.

D.Keith
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think your question is clear. Are you asking if we are aware of what mistakes have been made in translating fighting manuals? I would think we would not be otherwise we would have corrected them.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fighting         Reply with quote

Keith Harrell-Steward wrote:
I have been fighting with various groups for some time, I would like to expand my skills. Does anyone know of documents that are translated into modern English for us easily confused by language or terms 500 years old?

Any help or leads is appreciated.

Well we'll need a bit more information to answer your question. First off when you say fighting, what do you mean? Longsowrd? Sword and Buckler? Dagger? Historic? SCA? Boffer? LARP? And then are you looking for a translation, or a better term would be , of the German system, Italian system? or another perhaps? what period are we talking about here? In order to answer you we would need to start with these questions first and most likely a few I've left out.

Winter is coming
Keith Harrell-Steward

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Clarification         Reply with quote

What I have been doing is full contact sparring. With many different groups, SCA, Schola St George (One of my good Friends trains with them in Lewisville, TX) etc.
Forgive the spelling. I have tried studying I:33, Fiore, Talhoffer, and some Iaido. I do not have a single special weapon as I am building a "toolbox" of skills. There is no "best" weapon. My issue is time, I spend an enormous amount working and then training and cross training.

I realize that many people have dedicated enormous amounts to enterpreting and translating many text.
What I am looking for is the benefit of people more patient and scholarly than myself.

So if there is any translations that are in modern english I would be very appreciative!

My apologies if my post was clear.

D.Keith
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No apologies needed, just needed some more info to help you out is all. PM sent sir.
Winter is coming
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://thearma.org/manuals.htm ARMA actually has group that practices in Arlington, TX. PM me if you would like more contact information for them.
http://www.schielhau.org/
Enjoy.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarification         Reply with quote

Keith Harrell-Steward wrote:
My issue is time, I spend an enormous amount working and then training and cross training.

I realize that many people have dedicated enormous amounts to enterpreting and translating many text.
What I am looking for is the benefit of people more patient and scholarly than myself.

So if there is any translations that are in modern english I would be very appreciative!

What I think you really want is interpretations. Every 15th century translation is hard to read and understand because understanding it is more then translating the words but also a matter of knowing the way people spoke. People who translate bible from ancient Greek and Hebrew read as many contemporary works as possible so they can understand the the context in which things are said.

I highly recommend Christian Toblers books for his excellent interpretations.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows any good articles or manuals for spear fighting
I read a good one by Lynn C. Thompson that was published in the Spring 2000
Cold Steel catalog that covered the 3 basic attacks and 3 basic defence defensive
methods in a step by step process with picturse as well as the correct technique
for throwing spears

I've used these as a basis for developing a fighting style but, as i'm not living close
to any reinactment socioty I havent been able to try it out. So I'd really like to get my hands
on more material to continue to learn
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recommend Fighting With The Quarterstaff by David Lindholm with emphasis towards Swetnam's thrusting oriented system. You could also take a look at Joachim Meyer. And there is a new book, POLEARMS OF PAULUS HECTOR MAIR by David James Knight & Brian Hunt. These are renaissance era texts. I generally think of spear fighting during this period as an extension of the system of fighting found in these traditions. That is, while Swetnam may be talking about the staff, fighting with the spear or any like length weapon would be comparable. The masters don't cover every possible weapon. Instead they lay down the foundations.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Darren Tully

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much Greg I checked out Swetnam's manual on line
Thompson's basics are very similar to Swetnam's aproach so I'll
definitly check out Lindholm's book

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fighting
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic