Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ISMAC 2009Event Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: ISMAC 2009         Reply with quote

Hello,

The International Swordfighting and Martial Arts Convention continues to grow as we celebrate our 10th anniversary workshop in 2009! For a decade we have brought together the finest instructors from around the world to teach the best classes in Western Martial Arts. In that time many participants have had their first exposure to WMA and many more continue to return and honed their skills at ISMAC. We have been thrilled to watch the exponential growth of Western Martial Arts, and are extremely proud to have been a small part of this growth. It's hard to believe it's already been ten years!

There are many celebratory plans in the works for this benchmark and the first is the date of the workshop. The very first ISMAC was in May and therefore we have decided to move back to May just for 2009. The convention dates this year are May 22nd - 25th, 2009. What better time for a group of like-minded individuals focused on keeping alive a martial heritage to paying respect to those who have come before than Memorial Day Weekend?

Once again the Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport (which is directly connected to the McNamara Terminal in DTW) is hosting the workshop. This is an absolutely beautiful venue with an incredibly supportive and helpful staff. As we found last year, it is very convenient and couldn't be any easier to get to. You can be in your hotel room 20 minutes after picking up your luggage. For images and services available go to http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property...rtyID=1415

This year, we are working on a way to let our participants 'build their favorite workshop'. Details on that, and a list of attending instructors will be online soon. Can't wait to see old faces and meet new ones as we celebrate a decade of training hard and fun times!

Sincerely,
Jared Kirby
http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/aocflyer.htm
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Attending Instructors         Reply with quote

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the attending instructors for ISMAC 2009 in Detroit, Michigan. You can find the list at http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/aocflyer.htm

Take care,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Two Scholarships for ISMAC 2009         Reply with quote

Hello,

We are excited to offer the fifth annual Col. Dwight McLemore Scholarship for ISMAC 2009. This scholarship will provide full registration to the event and a $150 travel/hotel reimbursement.

We hope to help those who have always wanted to attend but have not been able to afford it and we want to thank Dwight for his support in this endeavor. To be eligible you must not have attended ISMAC before and should show a need for the scholarship.

The competition is high for this scholarship and many deserving individuals are turned down each year. Anyone who has applied in the past and did not receive the scholarship is encouraged to reapply (as long as you still meet the requirements).

Please read the directions carefully. The deadline for completed applications is February 15th. If you have any questions you can contact me at jaredkirby@hotmail.com

We also have our second scholarship for ISMAC! The second annual Brad Waller Scholarship has been added to provide a deserving student of Stage Combat who is studying Western Martial Arts in an effort to augment their art. Thanks to Brad for this great opportunity.

If you would like to apply, the applications are available on the website at http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/aocflyer.htm

We’ll see you in May!

Sincerely,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: ISMAC Classes Online         Reply with quote

Hello and Happy Holidays,

For our 10th anniversary we are offering a new schedule format at ISMAC (similar to the 4W workshop model in Seattle, WA). This new structure offers participants greater focus on their specific areas of study instead of a selection of short and long classes scattered over the course of three days. When registering this year, you will now have the choice of four separate 6 hour main classes. Each class will be split up between two days (i.e. the class is 3hrs on Friday and 3 hrs Sat with one class in the morning & one in the afternoon). You will pick a different class for each Slot: A,B,C and D (See sample schedule at http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convent...ule1.htm).

But you may ask, "What classes will be offered?"

Every year the instructors offer me terrific classes and I have to decide which ones will be taught. Well, I am done deciding. We are very happy to offer YOU the opportunity to choose what classes are taught at ISMAC 2009. What do you want to focus on? Who do you want to study with? That's right, you get to decide!

There will be 6 classes offered simultaneously in each main class slot (A,B,C & D). We have listed possible classes for A, B, C & D (See class list at http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convent...ices.htm). For each main class slot you will register for a first and second choice. At the end of Feb. we will choose the classes with the most registrations and those will become the final class for each slot in 2009. In this way, ISMAC will cater to your particular interests. Of course with this list of exciting classes I don't envy you in the decision!

Fortunately, the remaining classes that you have expressed an interest in will become elective classes along with a few others. These 1.5 hour elective classes are open to everyone and you can choose a different one each day. You can break up your days with everything from Carpathian mountain axe to Bicycle Self Defense!

After dinner the fun continues. In the evening, there will be lectures, presentations, tournaments, free fencing and some more classes. We will bring you more details in the coming months.

ISMAC 2009 is a little over 5 months away, so mark your calendars now. Registration will be open soon. If you have any questions about the schedule, please let me know.

Take care,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Registration is Open!         Reply with quote

Hello,

Registration is now open for ISMAC 2009 in Detroit, MI and the classes are online! You can choose from more than 50 classes offered over the course of 4 days. For the list of classes please go to http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/classchoices.htm

This promises to be an amazing WMA event. You will find a description of the new format under "Class Format"
(http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/aocflyer.htm). This year features a new structure offering participants greater focus on their specific areas of study. If you have any questions please let me know.

The pre-registration is only $175 and give you the opportunity to decide which classes are taught at ISMAC this year. That's right, it completely up to you!

Don't forget to make your reservations at the Westin at the same time. The promotional rate is only available until the end of April.

Best wishes for a happy holiday and looking forward to seeing familiar faces and making new acquaintances in May!

Take care,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Believe it or not, ISMAC is a little over 3 months away. It’s coming up quick and there are a few deadlines approaching.

There are only a few more weeks for you to help decide the main classes this year! Registrations received before Feb 23rd will help determine the final schedule. Of course, if everyone signs up for the same classes then the remaining schedule will be decided as it has in past years. I encourage you to take this opportunity to pick classes and make ISMAC exactly what you want because after Feb 23rd this option will be gone.

I am confident that everyone will get the classes they want, but someone did ask what happens if your first and second choices are not part of the final schedule. There is no risk in registering before Feb 23rd and making your voice heard. We will be happy to refund your registration fee after the final schedule is posted if there are no classes you want to take.

For those that want to wait until the schedule is finalized, here is the plan. At the end of Feb. I will finalize the schedule. We will get it posted at the beginning of March, so you will know exactly what classes will be offered this year! This will be done before the pre-registration deadline of March 15th.

Register before March 15th and you’ll pay only $175. After that the fee goes up $75. Please also remember that class sizes are limited to approximately 20 participants. We have always found that smaller classes can cover more material and everyone gets much more out of them. When a class is full we will close it. Pre-registration means you get to help choose the final schedule and ensures that you get a spot in the classes of your choosing.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel to contact me at jaredkirby@hotmail.com Looking forward to seeing you at our 10th anniversary!

Take care,
Jared Kirby
www.theismac.org
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Just a quick reminder that if you haven't taken care of your ISMAC registration, now is the time to do it. Registrations received before Feb 23rd will help determine the final schedule. You can make ISMAC exactly what you want! After Feb. 23rd I will finalize the schedule which will be posted at the beginning of March.

Take care,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Scholarship Winners         Reply with quote

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the winners of the scholarships for ISMAC 2009.

The 5th annual Col. Dwight McLemore Scholarship goes to:
Peter Nelson

The 2nd annual Brad Waller Scholarship goes to:
Kevin Inouye

The committee wishes to thank the applicants for their efforts and extends a big congratulations to Peter and Kevin!

Sincerely,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: ISMAC Schedule Finalized         Reply with quote

Hello,

The ISMAC schedule is now finalized! Check it out at http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/demoschedule.htm

You will find 6 main classes offered in each of the four time slot. When registering you will just pick four main classes and your done. It's that easy.

We have also posted the elective classes that will be offered each day. These 1.5 hour classes are open to all participants and will give you a taste of some new and exciting material (I mean, where else can you throw a bike at someone and not get in trouble!)

We are approximately two weeks away from the early registration deadline, so you can still get over 30 hours of training for only $175 if registered before March 15th. After that the price will increase by $75. Each main class has limited enrollment and is on a first come, first serve basis. Some classes are already over half full!

With 48 classes to choose from, there is something for everyone, so come and celebrate our 10th anniversary!

Take care,
Jared Kirby

http://www.theismac.org
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: ISMAC and the Ides of March         Reply with quote

Hello,

For those that haven't registered yet, here a quick reminder. We are only a few days away from the early registration deadline (March 15th). After that the price will increase by $75. Also remember that each main class has limited enrollment and several classes are almost full! As these classes close the schedule will reflex it.

I recommend making your reservation at the Westin concurrently. You have to book a room about a month in advance to receive our discounted rate. http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/Hotels.htm

See you in May!

Take care,
Jared Kirby
http://www.theismac.org/
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: ISMAC Deadline Extended         Reply with quote

Hello,

I must send my apologies to all who tried to register this weekend. The registration page went down and we couldn't get it back up in time. Therefore we have extended the deadline till March 19th.

It is still down, so to register online you can go to http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/Registration.htm to take care of the class selection and payment. We will ask you to fill out the registration form when that is back online.

Thanks for your understanding and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Patri Pugliese Memorial Auction - ISMAC 2009         Reply with quote

Hello,

After the amazing sucess of the first Patri Pugliese Memorial Auction at ISMAC we are looking to do it again in 2009. To make this happen we will need the support of those who were touched by Patri while he was alive. I have received donations from a couple individuals, but we are nowhere near where we need to be in order to beat 2008.

If you are interested in donating something for the auction please let me know. The more creative the better; for those attending ISMAC 2008 I don't think anyone will forget Steaphen Fick's donation of allowing a tonsure to be shaved into his head!

The WMA community's support has really touched the Puglieses. When Janet Baker (who coordinates the funds for the girls) received the check from ISMAC for a little over $2,000 she said:

"Thank you so very much for your appreciation of Patri's contributions and for honoring him and his family by organizing and hosting the first Patri Pugliese Memorial Auction at ISMAC. Patri would have been very touched by your creative and meaningful way to 'give back a little that all Patri gave [Western Martial Artists]'. The tribute you and your colleagues have made to him is well appreciated, and will be well-utilized by his very deserving daughters."

Janet said Antonia is now at Harvard (following in her father's footsteps) and while she is getting some aid, it is only covering part of her education. Julia is still in high school and looking at Harvard along with several other schools to attend when she graduates.

Please let me know asap if you can help.

Thanks,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: 2nd Deadline Approaching         Reply with quote

Hello,

ISMAC 2009 is coming up quickly. I can't believe we are less than a month away! It's shaping up to be an amazing event with many familiar faces and a few new ones. There will be classes all day, free fencing, lectures and tournaments at night followed by social time downstairs. We even have an unconfirmed rumor that Bobo the Monkey will be back getting into trouble. This will be a wonderful way to celebrate our 10th anniversary so we hope to see all our old friends and make some new ones.

If you have any questions or concerns I can help with please let me know, otherwise you shouldn't miss the biggest and best ISMAC yet!

Take care,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Patri Auction absentee bidding         Reply with quote

Hello,

Donor support for the Patri Pugliese Memorial Auction at ISMAC 2009 has been Amazing! You can find an updated list of the items being auctioned at: http://artofcombat.org/Convention/patripuglie...ge2009.htm
Thank you to everyone who has pitched in.

Now it's time to sell everything! For those who can not attend the auction on Thursday night you have the opportunity to place an absentee bid. We have extended the absentee bidding till 10pm on Wednesday May 21st. To place a bid please email me at jaredkirby@hotmail.com with the item(s), your maximum bid and your contact details. Bidding will start at 1/2 the retail price and if no one bids against you then you'll get it for that. We will also arrange shipping (to be billed at cost) if you are not attending ISMAC.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Remember, the profits go to support the college fund set up for Patri's girls, so lets raise some money for a great cause!

Take care,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: ISMAC 2009 & Patri Auction         Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to send a big thank you to everyone at ISMAC 2009. You all made this the best one and it far exceeded my expectations for our 10th Anniversary. I had more fun, taught more and learned more than ever before and I could not have done that without the wonderful volunteer staff, amazing instructors and terrific participants.

There are so many stories to tell, but in particular I wanted to let everyone know that the second Patri Pugliese Memorial Auction was a great success. Thanks to the generous donors and bidders, we raised $1,835 to donate to Patri's Girls' college fund. Incredible! It was really touching to see the support from everyone which made it an incredible auction and a good time to boot.

I saw a lot of cameras out over the weekend but we only got pictures from several people. We need more so if you have some fun shots please contact me at jaredkirby@hotmail.com and we will get them on the ISMAC website.

Thank you,
Jared Kirby
Jared Kirby

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

We have launched the image gallery for ISMAC 2009! To see the galleries go to http://artofcombat.org/Convention/pics2009.htm

There are over 1000 professional pics taken by Shirley Chung of Absolutely Perilous in addition to the shots shared by participants. Both are on smugmug which has all kinds of great features, such as voting for your favorite images and adding comments. You can even order quality prints and other items.

Enjoy!
Jared Kirby

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ISMAC 2009Event
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic