Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword smiths Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mark Wilkie

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Sword smiths         Reply with quote

I just wanted to ask if anyone could tell me about any sword smiths that do good Re-enactment swords. or any good live blades that are also reasonably priced. i know of Paul Binns and Mark Vickers.

Any thought people.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go with Mark, you won't be disappointed.

His swords are accurate to their construction unlike Paul Binns who makes crowbars.
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I rather like Pauls swords. They are always very well balanced. What do you mean by crowbars?

Thomas Jason wrote:

His swords are accurate to their construction unlike Paul Binns who makes crowbars.

www.viking-shield.com
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim Adelsen wrote:
I rather like Pauls swords. They are always very well balanced. What do you mean by crowbars?

Thomas Jason wrote:

On the contrary, the ones I've felt (Sharp and Blunts) have all been very dead in the hand.
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's extremely odd. I have a sharp that is my most alive sword. Feels like it wants to swing itself. I have a blunt that weights 4 pounds but is so well balanced you'd guess it to be more like 2.5. Are you sure they were real Binns? I've never heard anyone complain about the performance.

Thomas Jason wrote:
Jim Adelsen wrote:

Thomas Jason wrote:

On the contrary, the ones I've felt (Sharp and Blunts) have all been very dead in the hand.

www.viking-shield.com
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't own any of Paul's myself, but I've played around with 3.

One was a Tea Cozy that I think was purchased from you or second hand from someone who purchased it from you. The other 2: 1 came from Jelling Dragon (gaddhjalt) and 1 directly from Paul (Mileham).

They just felt very poorly balanced to me. Very slow to recover and like

I really like his axes and spears though.
James King

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've owned a Paul Binns sharp (viking) that was very "lively" and well balanced.I gave it to my brother as a gift several years ago.
Adam R

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have never heard a bad thing about Paul's swords before - but I haven't handled any - Mark's I have - nearly all I have handled - sharp, blunt and re-enactor have felt beutifully weighted and keen. The longsword I have of his at present is also the most amazingly durable blade I have ever encountered - and I have encountered plenty TYVM Wink
Mark Wilkie

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me of any other smiths that do re-enactment blades ?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Viktor Berbekutz of Hungary. Supposedly good, durable, historical swords, but I haven't seen one in person yet.
http://www.berbekuczviktor.hu/
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could have a look at Tim Noyes' stuff at www.heronarmoury.co.uk. I've heard people speak highly of these and have spoken to him myself about the possibility of having a sharp made in the not too distant future. He does offer quite a few options for pommels, guards and the like.

Also I would add my name to those backing Paul's swords. I don't own any of Paul's re-enactment swords, but I have had the chance to handle a few in-progress and finished pieces when I went to pick up a sharp earlier this year, and they seemed fine to me. The sharp is really good as well.

D.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Afew more guys doing reenactment blades would be,
Armour class,
Rob Miller @Castlekeep,
Paul Macdonald,Macdonald armoury,
i think Todd from Todds stuff would be able to supply one too,
to be honest most of the makers can produce the swords if you ask,

i have experience with marks swords and own three or four,all really nice,but sharps,
seen a pair of swords one blunt trainer and the same but sharp,excellent overall,
Robs swords are excellent,only complaint i've heard about his reenactment swords is they tend to chew up the opponents a little quick,lol,
I've seen a couple of Tim Noyes swords through the years,ranging from munition grade bangers to under the counter custom delivery sharps,the sharps were very nicely made,the bangers nice enough and on par with the likes of Paul binns and armour class etc,
personally i'd lean towards mark vickers in the fit and overall finish in the affordable category,although i've never spoken to Rob on the pricing of his reenactment blades,so have no base to compare with the others,
also white rose armoury make ren blades,worth a look too,

if your in the UK,
there is the fair at Coventry connexion the 14-15-16 of november this year,a very good chance to see alot of thepeople mentioned with their wares firsthand and also maybe in stock for sale,and even better,orders that are being collected,so you get to see quite a varied amount,
if you are on a tight budget i would start with Armour Class,they've had some nice ren swords at the show starting from as low as £100.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul MacDonald does not heat treat his blades. A few WMA instructors I know in the UK use his baskets and hilts, but switch out the blades for this very reason.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arms & Armor, Albion, Armour Class, Lutel, and many other makers make items suitable for re-enactment and/or sparring. It really depends on your specific needs.

Without knowing the original poster's needs, I could not begin to make a recommendation.

To some, "re-enactment" means scripted fighting, while others use it to describe ren faire, others mean living history, and others mean sparring/bouting. Even knowing this, one would need to know a person's specifics to go further. What criteria is important? Historical accuracy? Durability? Swords that look like 'real swords'? Swords that handle like real swords but can be trainers? What period of interest does he have? Some makers might do very well with one period, but not so well (or at all) for others. Hard to know without asking...

Further, what's reasonable in terms of cost? It's a relative term. I know many people that would think that paying $300 for a sword is completely unimaginable and others who would classify such swords as bargain basement weapons.

Really hard to make informed recommendations without asking more questions.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Paul MacDonald does not heat treat his blades. A few WMA instructors I know in the UK use his baskets and hilts, but switch out the blades for this very reason.

Neither does Mark,alot of makers heat treat via proffesional treaters,same as Gus Trim,Tinker,
at least in sword length,
knives and such,most do their own,
of the mentioned names,Paul Binns treats his own, Rob does some dependant on the project,
armour class at last check have their own salt pot set up,the rest i have no idea,
i dont see an issue with it Thom ?
maybe Paul has had issues in the past with whoever he uses?
i know Mark has sent more than one batch back as he hasnt been happy,
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Neither does Mark,alot of makers heat treat via proffesional treaters,same as Gus Trim,Tinker,
at least in sword length knives and such,most do their own, of the mentioned names,Paul Binns treats his own, Rob does some dependant on the project, armour class at last check have their own salt pot set up,the rest i have no idea,
i dont see an issue with it Thom ? maybe Paul has had issues in the past with whoever he uses?
i know Mark has sent more than one batch back as he hasnt been happy,

That's not what I mean...

Paul Macdonald's blades are not heat treated at all... Either by him or by a third party. He cuts and grinds them and then welds a 8mm rod tang on them.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Apologies Thom,
i misundertood you,
on reading what you've just written i wouldnt personally purchase a blade like that either,
is that still his current practice,?,it seems a shame as he looks-is a very fine cutler-maker.
i appreciate the information, Cool
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
My Apologies Thom,
i misundertood you,
on reading what you've just written i wouldnt personally purchase a blade like that either,
is that still his current practice,?,it seems a shame as he looks-is a very fine cutler-maker.
i appreciate the information, Cool

From what I understand that's his standard operating procedure.

Like I said many people send him blades made by other people to attach to his hilts.

Tim Noyes' blades are popular for this.
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are going for viking blunts suitable for reenacment combat you should definitely go for Paul Binns. Binns is well known here in europe as a great (if not the best) supplier of viking blunts. His sword has become the standard over here. I myself own several of his swords and everyone in my group uses them.

If you hear someone say Pauls swords are not well balanced or not suitable for reenacment combat, then they have most likely never held one. Many people say that they prefer lighter swords (like Lutel and polish arma) but these swords do often not meet the hard rules of blunt combat as used in viking reenacment europe. Another plus is that Paul Binns swords as far as I know are almost indestructible. I have never heard of one of his swords break and he has made many hundreds of blades.

Viktor Berbekucz swords are good quality steel and have nice round blunt edges, but are unfortunately a bit unbalanced and overweight. On the other hand they are very cheap for the price.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I stand by my remarks.

Note I did not say they weren't suitable for reenactment. Just that they are not in my opinion what a sword should be.

Most reenactors have 0 clue when it comes to proper use of a sword, they bang them together edge on edge and without any understanding of proper technique. Pauls's Blunts are crowbars, just as you describe Ville and they do well for that.

However that is not what one wants in a real sword..

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword smiths
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: