Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Sword Holder Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Custom Sword Holder         Reply with quote

I was hoping to get this to someone with some Celtic/ Viking swords to get some better pictures, but alas it just wasn't in the cards.
Allen Foster Made this fine accessory, and its my job to create a line of Targe's and Bucklers that fit the various needs of the community. This design is (Bronzed Copper) from the book of Kells 600-800 AD.
We are seeking some feedback from the forum on size.

This version is just over 13 inches wide. As shown it leaves plenty of blade visible and feels about the right size.
I do have some viking designs, and some Templar battle scenes I am looking at for future face designs. I would love to get some ideas from the folks here as well.

Price will be around $399 for a hand made limited edition.

We will be giving one of these away at some point in the near future, if there is interest in a contest or something.
Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Sam

Attachment: 82.57 KB
Picture 124small.JPG

Attachment: 86.52 KB
Picture 107small.JPG

Attachment: 89.31 KB
Picture 099small.JPG

Attachment: 28.3 KB
Display Hangingsmall.JPG

Last edited by Sam Haverkamp on Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh Wow!

That's Beautiful!
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that looks fantastic. A good size for displaying most swords, I think.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In addition to decorative designs, could a version be made that would allow someone to mount their own buckler or targe on the face?
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice work sam, might buy one when my custom barta arrives.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some other thoughts:

- A Buckler with the Wards from I.33 on the face
- Talhoffer Duelling Bucklers
- Scenes from Dante's Inferno
- Durer Woodcuts
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work Sam. I like the size too.

I can't wait to see what you do when you really put some effort into it! Wink

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is outstanding.

Maybe if I start now I can convince the Mrs. by Christmas.

I have designs from The Book of Kells tattooed on my right forearm. Wonder if she will go for something like " Honey, they match. What are the odds? It's fate I tell you "
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Custom Sword Display         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
Some other thoughts:

- Durer Woodcuts

Thomas,

Sam asked me to help answer your questions. Essentially, anything can be put on the display. However keep in mind that making the molds for the targes and/or bucklers are very time consuming and expensive for Sam. In order to try to keep the cost affordible and under control, Sam is trying to limit his line to around a dozen designs that will sell well so that he can recoup his costs. A design for Viking Swords; Saxon Swords; Celtic Swords; Medieval Swords; Matching Rapier/Dagger sets and so on.

Originally I helped Sam conceive and design the display to serve as a pallet for his metal art. We wanted to offer it to Albion or A&A as a marketing tool to help them sell more swords in a bad economy. The idea was to have the mfg. offer a plain display with the purchase of the buyers first sword with Sam offering a metal upgrade to the face of the display. I know that if I had recieved a display with my first Albion or A&A and it had two empty slots, it would'nt be able to rest until I had filled up the two slots and made my display complete. Sort of a way to make a single sword buyer into a multiple sword buyer. Well, they weren't that interested in the idea so here we are asking for suggestions for what you guys and gals would like to see. Here are some ideas if I can get them to attach:

Comments?
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Custom Sword Display         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:

What's got Sam and I questioning the display size is that I believe it should be sized in porpotion to the types and sizes of swords it will hold. If you'll notice that the display that is pictured is holding two handed swords not single hand swords. Do you folks think a 14 inch targe will overwhelm 3 single handed swords?
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just drew a 14" circle on some cardboard and arranged 2 36" and 1 37-1/2 swords. While it does cover a sizable portion of the blades I wouldn't say it overwhelms them.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think it would cause an issue depending on the type of single hander.

I think more of an issue would be pricing. While Sam's work is amazing and appears to be worth it, when ou start hitting that range you are getting into the price range for another decent sword.

You and sam may want to offer a mid-point option where the metal insert is more of a flat scene than a 3d shaped buckler or targe. May be easier to produce and could potentially sell more.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Sword Display         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
Brian K. wrote:

What's got Sam and I questioning the display size is that I believe it should be sized in porpotion to the types and sizes of swords it will hold. If you'll notice that the display that is pictured is holding two handed swords not single hand swords. Do you folks think a 14 inch targe will overwhelm 3 single handed swords?

I think if you're going to go with one size, this one works. It's so elegant that I actually would prefer it larger. Otherwise, what about offering two different sizes?

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Sword Display         Reply with quote

Quote:
I think if you're going to go with one size, this one works. It's so elegant that I actually would prefer it larger. Otherwise, what about offering two different sizes?

Brian,

I love your work. It is just awesome. I've tried to make a few scabbards and I know how difficult they can be.

I think what I'm trying to saying is that once Sam makes the mold, he can't change the size. Every book of Kells Targe he makes from here on out is going to be 13 inches (sorry not 14 that I said before).

So before he makes one for I33 swords or rapiers sets, we need to make sure we do those at the right size too. Other than that, what do the myArmoury folks want to see on a sword display? Thomas Jason has already given some good ideas.
Thanks,
Allen
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Sword Display         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
So before he makes one for I33 swords or rapiers sets, we need to make sure we do those at the right size too. Other than that, what do the myArmoury folks want to see on a sword display? Thomas Jason has already given some good ideas.

I'd love to see stuff based on the woodcuts from Albrecht Dürer.

I'd like to see raised and enameled plaques for the medieval pieces with an effect such that is found on the Black Prince Shield.

I'd suggest considering more generic decorative motifs such as those found on armours that are more geometric, floral, etc. in design rather than scenic. Consider, for example, this Rotella.

For scenic stuff, consider looking at The Romance of Alexander.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You May be also able to tap into the Japanese Sword Market by doing the Mons of famous samurai families.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Sword Display         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
Quote:

Brian,

I love your work. It is just awesome. I've tried to make a few scabbards and I know how difficult they can be.

I think what I'm trying to saying is that once Sam makes the mold, he can't change the size. Every book of Kells Targe he makes from here on out is going to be 13 inches (sorry not 14 that I said before).

Thanks,
Allen

Thank you Allen.

As said before, I presonally wouldn't want it any smaller. Though there will be those that prefer a smaller size so it wouldn't hide the blade so much.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Responses         Reply with quote

Wow,
Thanks for all the great responses. I sure appreciate all the positive comments and suggestions. I wanted to clarify
about the A&A reference. I didn't ask Craig about using these holders. As usual I did send him some pictures, and he was very gracious as always, something about a "Royal piece" all the way. I will at some point be working with A&A on some displays and shields and hopefully some other fun stuff.

So the consensus is that the size is pretty close, so thats good.

As Allen said, I am looking for avenues for my work and these holders are going to be a lot of fun hopefully. I know the price is on the steep end, but these are made by hand in America. I don't even know how many hours I have into the shield on this puppy, it goes into the hundreds. So luckily I am able to make a few more which takes some of the sting out of my time investment.

I am looking at the recommendations for future designs, some of these I know. I am knee deep in my day job, so I have to be kinda quick.

Brian, I will try harder next time, sheesh!

Thanks
Sam
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Responses         Reply with quote

Sam Haverkamp wrote:
Wow,
Thanks for all the great responses. I sure appreciate all the positive comments and suggestions. I wanted to clarify
about the A&A reference. I didn't ask Craig about using these holders. As usual I did send him some pictures, and he was very gracious as always, something about a "Royal piece" all the way. I will at some point be working with A&A on some displays and shields and hopefully some other fun stuff.

Sorry Sam. I thought you had talked to them. That's the problem with you being in Washington State and me being in Florida. My bad.

This would be an awesome marketing tool for them: A&A sells more swords, Sam sells more metal, Nathan gets more members, we all get a good excuse to buy more stuff. Its a lovely circle.

Allen
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen,
No worries, I know we have talked about so many different things its hard to keep track.

Quote:
Thomas Jason Posted

Some other thoughts:

- Durer Woodcuts

TJ, thanks for the feedback and suggestions, what Durer woodcuts would make sense. I have most of them saved on my hardrive, also what type of Dante's scene? I have visions of hell, yes? As Allen said he can put anything on there you want. If I was going for a functional display, A&A and Merc Tailor both have some sweet bucklers that would fit the bill.
I am looking at your others as well, thanks again!

Quote:
Stephen Curtin Posted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:49 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really nice work sam, might buy one when my custom barta arrives.

Stephen, I would be so honored to have a Barta Sword gracing something I made, thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
Nathan Robinson Posted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:53 pm Post subject: Re: Custom Sword Display

I'd love to see stuff based on the woodcuts from Albrecht Dürer.

I'd like to see raised and enameled plaques for the medieval pieces with an effect such that is found on the Black Prince Shield.

I'd suggest considering more generic decorative motifs such as those found on armours that are more geometric, floral, etc. in design rather than scenic. Consider, for example, this Rotella.

For scenic stuff, consider looking at The Romance of Alexander.

Nathan,
Thanks for the suggestions. I love the Durer woodcuts as well. I have often looked at them and thought they are great
material for me to practice with. I will do my best not to botch them up. What specifically would make sense? I will look into the Romance of Alexander and your other suggestions as well. That is a sweet Rotella! I like the floral motif, I would love to work on a reproduction of that.

Quote:
J. D. Carter Posted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008 12:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is outstanding.

Maybe if I start now I can convince the Mrs. by Christmas.

I have designs from The Book of Kells tattooed on my right forearm. Wonder if she will go for something like " Honey, they match. What are the odds? It's fate I tell you "

J.D, thanks alot. That is so cool you got this inked on yourself, a noble tattoo indeed. I agree you need one to make a matched set!

Allen likes this Viking/Norman design and wants me to make it for the next shield. Any thoughts on this one?

Attachment: 76.78 KB
036small.JPG

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom Sword Holder
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: