Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Meyer's Dusack Footwork Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Meyer's Dusack Footwork         Reply with quote

I've just been reading Meyer's section on Dusack; am i right in understanding that the footwork for the Dusack is essentially what would be described in longsword work as "gathering steps" - always leading with the same foot rather than the "passing steps" used in Lichtenauer based longsword footwork? Am i reading this right or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Chris
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
Meyer's Dussack definately uses passing steps. For example, his very first drill in teaching you how to do the four cuts instructs you to do passing steps when cutting. Meyer even goes to say that dussack combat is based on the longsword techniques. Though it is correct that there tend to be more lunging-type actions with the dussack due to the one handed nature of the weapon, and leading with the right foot is more common because of this.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Hi Chris,
Meyer's Dussack definately uses passing steps. For example, his very first drill in teaching you how to do the four cuts instructs you to do passing steps when cutting. Meyer even goes to say that dussack combat is based on the longsword techniques. Though it is correct that there tend to be more lunging-type actions with the dussack due to the one handed nature of the weapon, and leading with the right foot is more common because of this.

Thanks for that, yep, truly had the wrong end of the stick on that one; i was having trouble interpreting the somewhat convoluted language that he used to describe the stepping.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris,

The step you mentioned in your first post is definitely in there, at least in the cutting drills. I call it the Chasing Step, as that is a relatively close definition of the Italian verbage the Bolognese texts use. The Dussack definitely uses the passing step; however, the Chasing Step is also quite useful as it allows you to travel the same distance as a Passing Step while keeping your same foot forward (but remember that the timing between the two is a little different). The Bolognese school makes extensive use of the Chasing Step, as do some other 1500s Italian (i.e. contemporary to Meyer) texts including Altoni, Agrippa, and Di Grassi.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Meyer's Dusack Footwork
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic