Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is a good Viking Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: What is a good Viking Sword         Reply with quote

I am looking for a nice quality for the price viking sword. I am not sure
which style I would like, but donot want to buy a POS sword.

Is there any particular low end ($200-300) sword out there that will
first pass historical construction and second quality like an original?

I am rather fond of the simpler designs.

I hope this is not too general a question.

S
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic has been addressed before. A consideration is that the sky is the limit for quality and historical accuracy - where along the spectrum you fall regarding minimum required standards is something you will have to determine for yourself. Personally, I think that $300 is just about the minimum entry price for a "real" sword (i.e., not a completely ahistorical repro, but functional and reasonably historical in basic appearance).

Since viking swords are not my strong suit I'll leave it to you to browse our reviews and forum search features. Consider Del Tin and Vladimir Cervenka as possibilities, for example. Albion's "squire line" is nice but prices keep going up...

I'm sure others will be along to throw in their 2 cents,
Cheers,
-GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New Hanwei / Tinker Viking sword ordered with peened construction might be the way to go.
Sammy Jackson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you Want the Best, id Do Tinkers stuff; he does exellent Vikings and top Quality work:

Im Actully Selling Mine, What a Coincidence =) Hes by far one of the best makers buy many opinions; (check him out)
http://www.tinkerswords.com/Page2.html
although im Selling it For 700. Maybe we could work out a trade or something.

ill be back from Europe in a few days.

Good luck on your Quest

Cheers

sammy the man
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd suggest scouring the planet for a used Albion Squire Line Viking. Those are $430 new, so you might be able to find one around $350. Otherwise, look around for the simplest new and used Windlass Viking swords. A little bit of work on grip and finish can dramatically improve Windlass products.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

If it has to be historical in construction you have to go higher in price, viking swords were pattern-welded which means twisting rods of iron and steel together and hamering them out to make a sword blade and then welding on the edges. To get this done properly you are talking at LEAST $2000. If you want historical looks then there are some damascuss or etched blades that give the appearance of pattern-welding that are for sale in the price range you are discussing, or you could get a "regular" blade but they are not historically constructed. There are three swords from Museum Replicas that are damascuss and are around $300 but I think they are all discontinued.

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Jim S.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Nathan, The Windlass Steelcrafts Leuterit Viking Sword may be a sword that you might consider. It is said to be based on a historical sword and the cost is within your price range. I am considering purchasing one after reading a review which indicated that it is a good buy in this price range. Good luck.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a Paul Chen damascus Viking sword for sale in the Marketplace section of this site.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As noted, you will not be able to find a " low end ($200-300) sword out there that will
first pass historical construction". However, you can find some very good quality swords in that price range....

Kris Cutlery has a Viking sword that seems to be well liked by it's owners. It's priced at $295, right at your top end (and, the pommel is made in two pieces, similar to a historical Viking sword). http://kriscutlery.com/documents/medieval.html

Imperial Weapons/ Generation 2's River Witham sword is based on a historical example and also has recieved good reviews. It's also right at the top of your scale at $299.... http://imperialweapons.com/swords/Reinhardt/IP-702.html

The new Hanwei/Tinker collaboration will likely be excellent. Price is yet unknown. See the bottom of this page: http://tinkerswords.com/CASpage.html

And there are other good makers, Del Tin, Windlass, Armour Class, and probably some I forgot about....

Some other good places to get affordable but decent quality Viking-type swords:
http://viking-shield.com/
http://www.kultofathena.com/viking.htm

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Someone mentioned Vladimir Cervenka's work.
I'd advise lookiing at his line. there is a bit of a waiting list, but mine were worth it. Hand forged, very nice steel and finish......and they Look right.

Price was about 300 Eu, but that was a year or so ago. He'll e-mail you a current price list if interested.

If you don't get a reply right away, it's because he's moving house at the moment. It worries him, but it had to be done.

Cheers,
Richard.

Attachment: 107.47 KB
DSCN3230.JPG

Attachment: 121.2 KB
DSCN3226.JPG

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a good Viking Sword         Reply with quote

Nathan Spence wrote:
Is there any particular low end ($200-300) sword out there that will

At the risk of over-simplifying the issue and essentially echoing all that was said here already...

In a word, the answer to your question is: no.

You will not get a Viking-styled sword with something close to historical construction and quality like an original for anywhere near $200-$300.

For that price, you may perhaps get a sword that is attractive to you, fairly durable, and has relatively good dynamic qualities. Please note that these three things are going to be filled with concessions, as any sword in that price point will have a ton of compromises.

Having said that, I'd suggest throwing out the expectation of historical construction and quality found on original Viking swords and instead search for a sword that meets your aesthetic needs that also has good reviews for its durability and dynamics at its price point. This is likely going to make you very happy, but if it isn't possible then a very, very large jump in budget will need to happen.

There are some good suggestions in this topic especially those from David Wilson. To try to stay near your budget, I'd personally lean towards the Kris Cutlery option or a second-hand Albion squire line Viking sword. But know that even these have many compromises when compared to originals, of course.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to second Sean's advice in recomending the Albion Squire Line Viking. It is solidly made if somewhat plain. You could probably get a deal on a used one (as I did). I would rather have a good plain workhorse sword than a highly decorated POS that falls apart when you hit something.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all who have given some input. I will start looking for a used Albion then.

Does anyone know where else I can check for one from time to time. If anyone has an idea I would greatly appreciate it.

Spence
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can put up a "wanted" post in the marketplace here. I've done that with good success a few times. Occasionally an Albion crops up on ebay.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:
If it has to be historical in construction you have to go higher in price, viking swords were pattern-welded which means twisting rods of iron and steel together and hamering them out to make a sword blade and then welding on the edges.

Chase,
A quick look through Ian Peirce's "Swords of the Viking Age" shows that not all were pattern-welded. Many, even most, were pattern-welded depending on which part of the Viking Age you look at, but I think your statement is too sweeping.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Many, even most, were pattern-welded depending on which part of the Viking Age you look at, but I think your statement is too sweeping.

Yes it is, I hate this talk of the viking age as though it was one year, no talks about the middle ages as though it was a single year. Most were patternwelded so I was merely pointing this out... Happy

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Binns does a cheaper version of his swords for £140... or he Did.. you'd need to contact him as hes recently changed his site. Every binns blade Ive handled has been great and well balanced.

If you are in the mood for a little sword project get the Paul Chen practical and customise it. A nice strong blade and with few ajustments can become one hell of a sword: http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/practical-viking-sword.html

Good luck with your quest! Happy

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And forgot to add: http://www.swords.pl/index.php5?page=Product&...mp;lang=en

Really nice range of budget swords, I highly recommend them!

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.
Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to once again thank everyone here who answered my question.
A while back I found a very nice Albion Vinland sword and purchased it.

I am very pleased.

Now to just find the best way to make a scabbard for it!

Thanks

Spence
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, I would suggest Russ Ellis at Tritonworks Custom Scabbards or Brian at DBK Custom Swords. Their work is excellent, and priced right for your Albion (my first Albion was a Vinland, and I liked it very much - wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, come to think of it). Good luck deciding! Big Grin
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What is a good Viking Sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: