German Sword
I noticed this for the first time at the Wallace Collection site this morning and wanted to share. This is Wallace #A552, a North German sword of 1550-1580.

From the WC:

Sword
* North Germany
* c. 1560 - c. 1580
* Iron or steel, linen and blued hilt
* Length: 106.3 cm
Width: 2.6 cm
Weight: 1.6 kg
* Stamp: '·RR RRR RR·'
Maker's mark: Orb and cross Stamped twice
* A552
* European Armoury I

Catalogues

* Mann, Sir J. G., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Volume II, London: The Trustees of the Wallace Collection, 1962
Norman, A. V. B., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Supplement, London: The Trustees of the Wallace Collection, 1986

--------

Linen? For the grip wrap, I assume. Very interesting. Overall, an absolutely stunning sword!

Attachment: 79.39 KB
A552Ngerman1560-80.jpg

Re: German Sword
Sean Flynt wrote:

* Stamp: '·RR RRR RR·'

Apparently, the owner was a German Shepherd.
Hmmm, I like it... does anyone have some information about blade thickness? I'm guessing about 6-7 mm at the ricasso.
A sword wielding German Shepherd is a quite disturbing image in my mind... :D
Not being able to see the rest I can't say for sure, but at least the ricasso and forte appear very similar to A&A's Saxon military sword blade.
Dan
Adam Bodorics wrote:
Hmmm, I like it... does anyone have some information about blade thickness? I'm guessing about 6-7 mm at the ricasso.
A sword wielding German Shepherd is a quite disturbing image in my mind... :D

Naaaaah...
German Sword
Sounds funny for a dog to own a sword.
By the way, Sean, do you have a full photo of this sword?
I don't have face-on or full-length views, unfortunately. However, Tobias Capwell is planning a DVD with the complete Wallace arms and armour collection, with multiple views of each item.

Photography is now allowed at the WC, so one of our English friends might be able to oblige. Those wishing to commission a reproduction of the sword might be able to get other images directly from the WC.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: