Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Kern Axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Albion Kern Axe         Reply with quote

I just ordered one of Albion's Kern Axe heads (and a Roman Dolabra for my Roman Archaeologist wife-we have an anniversary coming up, you know)! I'm very excited and eager to get to work on this piece. I'll be hafting it myself and antiquing the entire weapon. Albion sells this head mounted with an OA weapon length of around 7', judging by the length of the head. The Dürer print and "Celtic Warriors" illustration depict a shorter weapon-standing perhaps around shoulder height. Notice that the weapon in the Dürer print doesn't reach to the ground, and is partially concealed by the Kern's clothing. Historically, would the same style head be mounted on hafts of varying lengths, dictated by the individual's preferred useage, or were heads intended to be used ONLY on a short haft or ONLY on a long haft? Is the short-haft kern axe a poleaxe, while a long-haft kern axe is a glaive? Can it ever be considered a poleaxe without a backspike?I know the haft length makes a significant difference in the way the weapon is used, so this isn't JUST semantics. I tend to favor the shorter version...

Attachment: 52.08 KB
gallowglass.jpg

Attachment: 56.7 KB
shaneoneill.jpg

Attachment: 20.35 KB
kernpole.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've really considered getting one myself. It appears to be quite a handy weapon Big Grin

Let us know how you like yours.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: picture question         Reply with quote

sorry i'm not as up on my celtic history as i should be, but could you give me a time period for the two illustrations posted? also a little more information on the sources would be great as i would like to investigate further.

thanks!
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Picture one is a print by Albrect Durer of I believe early 16th century Irish warriors done in the early 16th c.
Pic two is an Angus McBride painting of an Irish Kern and his retainers in the first half of the 16th century .
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry! I should have posted the refs. The top image is by Albrecht Dürer, 1521, and depicts Gallowglass (transplanted Scottish mercenaries) with their Kern attendants. The second image, depicting a Gallowglass and Kern attendants ca. 1562, is from the book "Celtic Warriors," which has outstanding color plates and ridiculous Victorian B&W illustrations. Here are two good websites for information about the Gallowglass/Kern.

http://www.geocities.com/na_degadmedieval_ire...-Equipment

http://www.cisl.ie/mars/rory/gallowglass.htm

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: thanks!         Reply with quote

thanks again, gentlemen Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Kern Axe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic