Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New A&A Henry V sword with custom hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: New A&A Henry V sword with custom hilt         Reply with quote

I posted this at the end of this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=13128
but thought it deserved its own as well.

Almost a year ago, I asked Craig Johnson at Arms & Armor to make me as accurate a copy of the Henry V sword as possible. A&A had recently started doing a production hollow ground blade to match the original, but the pommel of the hollow ground model is still a one piece solid disc. Oakeshott describes the historic pommel this way:

Quote:
...very massive, but not so heavy as its size would suggest, for each of the circular rims which enclose the recess is made, hollow, of very thin metal, brazed onto a massive iron disc"

I wanted something as close as I could get to the original, so I asked A&A to produce such a pommel (and to add a custom red grip to make it a bit more distinctive as well).

You can see the result below, and I have included a picture of the pommel side as well as a scan from Records of the Medieval Sword for comparison.

The sword feels great, and weighs just under 2.5 pounds.(A&A says that the hollow pommel actually subtracts only about an ounce).
Gordon

Attachment: 49.28 KB
FullLength2.JPG

Attachment: 51.71 KB
PommelSide.JPG

Attachment: 40.09 KB
ActualPommel.jpg

Attachment: 120.43 KB
HiltInside2.JPG

Attachment: 110.46 KB
FulLengthWithScabbard.JPG

Last edited by Gordon Clark on Sun 31 Aug, 2008 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely done, I believe you have owned their regular version as well in some shape form or fashion, is it recent enough to comment on any handling differences between your new version and the "stock" model?

Good work Craig!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike -

I did own, and recently sold, an older version with bronze hilt furniture (pic below). It was a much more massive sword - almost 3 lbs. They both balance pretty close to the blade and move well, but this one feels like a sword to fence with, while the other was a real little brute. The older version cut really well - have not tried with this one yet.

Gordon

Attachment: 112.55 KB
FromEnd_opp.JPG

Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

Very nice. I particularly like the matching red scabbard. Could you post a pic of the top of the rivet block? Also maybe a close up of the tip. From the pic it looks like it is uneven but I'm assuming that is a trick of the light?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
Gordon,

Very nice. I particularly like the matching red scabbard. Could you post a pic of the top of the rivet block? Also maybe a close up of the tip. From the pic it looks like it is uneven but I'm assuming that is a trick of the light?

Nathan -

Here is a pic of the pommel close up - I don't have one from the very top, but you can see it pretty much here. I'll get the tip the next time I take pics - it looks pretty even to me.

Attachment: 69.31 KB
Pommel.JPG

Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gordon. I didn't think the tip was uneven it's just something I noticed when you posted the photos in the other topic. I assumed it was the shadow from the hollow grinding. I have the Albion Kingmaker so I'm interested in how they resolved the tip in comparison.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

You have quite a nice collection of medieval weapons. This only adds to it.

I know everyone else will probably focus on the sword but can you also post more picks of the scabbard? I've never seen an A&A wood core scabbard before and am very curious as to not only your impressions of the quality of the scabbard but also the thickness of the wooden cross section.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, thanks for sharing. The custom work is very well done, and it looks like a great addition. I would also be interested in seeing some pictures of the tip just to see how reinforced it may be.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice one Gordon. I'm a big fan of this sword myself, as I got one of the first Hollow-ground versions not long after A&A announced that they were available, and it is still probably the best balanced sword I've ever held. Just a little bit annoyed about one thing though as, funnily enough, I asked if I could have the sword with a red grip, and I was told that the grip could only be done in black or brown, they seem to have changed their minds pretty soon after.

Seeing yours makes me even more resolved to have the grip on mine changed, when I eventually get around to having a scabbard made, as that is beautiful.

Cheers,
Darrin.

btw, mine weighs 2lbs, 8oz with the solid pommel, but given that A&A do all their shaping by hand, rather than using a machine to cut out the shape, it would be quite easy to understand a couple of ounces difference one way or the other.
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:
Nice one Gordon. I'm a big fan of this sword myself, as I got one of the first Hollow-ground versions not long after A&A announced that they were available, and it is still probably the best balanced sword I've ever held. Just a little bit annoyed about one thing though as, funnily enough, I asked if I could have the sword with a red grip, and I was told that the grip could only be done in black or brown, they seem to have changed their minds pretty soon after.

Seeing yours makes me even more resolved to have the grip on mine changed, when I eventually get around to having a scabbard made, as that is beautiful.

Cheers,
Darrin.

btw, mine weighs 2lbs, 8oz with the solid pommel, but given that A&A do all their shaping by hand, rather than using a machine to cut out the shape, it would be quite easy to understand a couple of ounces difference one way or the other.

I think they do custom colors now, but they do charge a bit extra.
Mine is just under 2.5 pounds - maybe 2 lbs 7 oz, so that is right on their estimate and your swords weight.
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
Thanks Gordon. I didn't think the tip was uneven it's just something I noticed when you posted the photos in the other topic. I assumed it was the shadow from the hollow grinding. I have the Albion Kingmaker so I'm interested in how they resolved the tip in comparison.

Pictures of the tip, as well as a comparison with the tip of an A&A English Longsword.

The tip is not reinforced (to me, that means thet the tip actually gets thicker as you move toward the point). It comes to pretty close to a needele like point, and the hollow grinding gives way to more of a diamond section closer to the point.

Attachment: 58.73 KB
SwordTip.JPG

Attachment: 28.25 KB
SwordTip3.JPG

Attachment: 84.12 KB
SwordTipCompare.JPG

Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Gordon,

You have quite a nice collection of medieval weapons. This only adds to it.

I know everyone else will probably focus on the sword but can you also post more picks of the scabbard? I've never seen an A&A wood core scabbard before and am very curious as to not only your impressions of the quality of the scabbard but also the thickness of the wooden cross section.

Here you go Jason - the black one is an A&A scabbard from a couplle of years ago for my English Longsword.

In my experience, A&A scabbards are generally a bit more rectangular and blocky in cross section that the ones I have seen from Albion and Patrick Barta. They are sturdy, functional and attractive, but not really elegant, in my estimation. The buckle work and chappe are very nice. They are also pretty affordable - although anyone interested should contact A&A for a current quote. Note that I am not complaining - I knew exactly what I was getting, and in some ways, I like this style better. I don't worry nearly as much about breaking it accidentaly, as the more elegant slimmer scabbards can seem fragile to me.

Gordon

Attachment: 64.48 KB
ScabbardsFull.JPG

Attachment: 114.22 KB
Scabbards3.JPG

Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done. An excellent display, so thank you very much.

Congrats on a wonderful looking piece. I must say, I envy it.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New A&A Henry V sword with custom hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic