Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > new sword design Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: new sword design         Reply with quote

Hi all! jean thibodeau and me were in collaboration for a new sword design that will be a custom shop project for myself.

It doesn't have a name yet so if anyone have an idea for a name or wants to comment about it, go for it Laughing Out Loud .

I wanted the pommel to look like a tornado but im not very good to explain things so take a look at my baby Big Grin .

Attachment: 65.88 KB
mon design.jpg
my sword design drawn by jean thibodeau
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Salut Etienne,
the "tornado' twist pommel is very similar to pommels Michal Dabek used to make. The difference is that Michal would continue the twist right to the top. I have a rapier with that type of pommel, it ends winds a small button on top. Michal favored the screw-on type, no peened tang. I don't know how far you are from the greater Montreal area, but you are welcome to drop in and see for yourself. Also please tell Jean Thibodeau I will be in touch soon for the donation to the site. He does paypal, I don't.
A une prochaine.
Jean-Carle

Bon coeur et bon bras
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilt components are also reminiscents of the A&A Schloss Erbach and Bohemian Broadsword. I suspect the rounded pommel will probably be more comfortable to hold bare-handed, if you like to grap the pommel.
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the handle is 10'' long so it is a two handed sword (overall 50'')
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What are the overall dimensions for the sword going to be Etienne? With a 10 inch handle I can imagine it will be a large sword. I like the design concept and look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Scott
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
The hilt components are also reminiscents of the A&A Schloss Erbach and Bohemian Broadsword. I suspect the rounded pommel will probably be more comfortable to hold bare-handed, if you like to grap the pommel.

Good guess but actually I saved some time in making the drawing by using the hilt and pommel of the A & A Bohemian broadsword and modifying them to correspond to what Étienne was describing.

The blade is a type XIIa which is a bit old for the type of guard for the type of guard and pommel but makes sense if a good old blade was rehilted with a later type of hilt furniture.

Now, I'm assuming that the design is partially a " fantasy " project so strict historical accuracy isn't a design priority.

I also assume that some details might change and that the pommel " spiral twist " could end up fading into the rounded end either more abruptly or more gradually faded into the end or the spirals continuing to the peen: These are thing Étienne should think about and make clear to the maker when he is sure what he wants or let the maker decide if he has confidence in the maker and not want to micromanage the design.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi scott, the overall would be 50'' long (nice large sword) and i need a name for it (at least it deserve one). and it will be long for me to buy it because i'm really short on money plus i'm not working for now but i promise myself that i will have my creation soon.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: New Sword Design         Reply with quote

Étienne,
When your sword is finished would you mind posting its photo? I would like to have a look on it.

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Fri 22 Aug, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem, but it will take long because i have no money for now... Mad
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
hi scott, the overall would be 50'' long (nice large sword) and i need a name for it (at least it deserve one). and it will be long for me to buy it because i'm really short on money plus i'm not working for now but i promise myself that i will have my creation soon.

That is a decent sized sword Etienne. Are you trying to make Jean jealous by going with a bigger sword? All kidding aside it sounds like it will be a great sword when finished.

Scott

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > new sword design
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic