Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Arms and Armour from the Movies" at RA Leeds Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: "Arms and Armour from the Movies" at RA Leeds         Reply with quote

Apologies if this seems a little off-topic, but I would like to take this chance to let everyone here know about the exhibition at Leeds, which is already on and going until November.

Details here: http://www.wonderfulworldofweta.co.uk/index.html

I also have an ulterior motive; as part of the exhibition I will be doing talks and workshops at the Armouries for the first three weekends in September, and during the days between I will be travelling around with my wife, Helen. This is our first trip to the UK so we don't know much about the geography, touring etc, but we are looking forward to the whole experience. We plan to hire a small car and visit Glasgow, Edinburgh, York and London during our time there, especially museums for me, and general touring and soaking up the history (in New Zealand, European settlement only dates back to 1780ish and Maori settlement to 1280ish, so the New Zealand concept of "history" is quite different from European concepts!).

We are hoping that we might be able to stay with people with an interest in history and films in each of our stops; if this idea interests you, please PM me about it. We can support ourselves and pay our way so we won't be a burden, and we can offer stories of our experiences in return.

Also, I hope to get some access to stuff behind the scenes at several armouries, including the Glasgow Museums, Wallace Collection, RA Leeds, and the Met on our return trip via New York. If there are particular pieces that you think I should be looking at (swords, especially medieval European swords, are my speciality, but I have an interest in pre-17th century arms in general) please post the details. If there are pieces that you would particularly like me to post photos and other details of, ask away and I will see what I can do.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds fun Peter Wink
If you could possibly get photos (and maybe if you could use your influence to get measurements .....(long shot I know but I had to ask) of this sword I would be extremely grateful.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=leeds

Thanks so much in advance,
Dan
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter...

Thanks for the link. I have been waiting to see some close ups of the hero swords. Something other than the freeze frames from the movie and the bonus features.

To my eye they appear at that time is the life of a well used, and well cared for, weapon. The prime of its life, so to speak.

Truly amazing work.

Have fun touring! Big Grin

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

If you're going to be in England during August at all, you should come to the RA early to see the Queen's Golden Jubilee Trophy tournament August 22-25. I'll be competing and it would be good to see you again.

One recommendation I can make about driving in England is-- buy a map the moment you hire the car. You can get the spiral bound inexpensive "all England" maps in any services or petrol station for just a few quid.

Whichever of you isn't driving should navigate using the map. The roads in England are so busy and often narrow, that you won't have time to drive, navigate and make turning choices all yourself as driver. While polite, English drivers are pretty impatient, and since most junctions are roundabouts rather than stoplights, you don't have any "downtime" to review where you're going if you're driving.

Oh, and sometimes on the motorways, you can't always go the direction you want onto another road.

Allow plenty of time to get where you need to go, be flexible, don't let your tank go below 1/4 full, and you'll be fine. Enjoy the UK, it's busy, but beautiful.

One more thing, if you haven't yet booked your lodging while at the RA, try the Holiday Inn express right across from the tiltyard. Or if that's booked, try the Jury's Inn, just up the river. Both quite decent convenient and affordable.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Historic Enterprises, Inc.
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Sammy Jackson

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Peter! thanks for posting this. im actully going to be in the UK at this time and am now planning on checking this out.

is it at the Royal Armouris in Leeds?

thanks mate. and maybe ill see you there!

sammy the man
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hedgecock wrote:
Hi Peter,

If you're going to be in England during August at all, you should come to the RA early to see the Queen's Golden Jubilee Trophy tournament August 22-25. I'll be competing and it would be good to see you again.

One recommendation I can make about driving in England is-- buy a map the moment you hire the car. You can get the spiral bound inexpensive "all England" maps in any services or petrol station for just a few quid.

Whichever of you isn't driving should navigate using the map. The roads in England are so busy and often narrow, that you won't have time to drive, navigate and make turning choices all yourself as driver. While polite, English drivers are pretty impatient, and since most junctions are roundabouts rather than stoplights, you don't have any "downtime" to review where you're going if you're driving.

Oh, and sometimes on the motorways, you can't always go the direction you want onto another road.

Allow plenty of time to get where you need to go, be flexible, don't let your tank go below 1/4 full, and you'll be fine. Enjoy the UK, it's busy, but beautiful.

One more thing, if you haven't yet booked your lodging while at the RA, try the Holiday Inn express right across from the tiltyard. Or if that's booked, try the Jury's Inn, just up the river. Both quite decent convenient and affordable.

Thanks for that Jeffrey, driving is the biggest concern I have there, I expect traffic levels I've never experienced before. We already planned that I drive while Helen navigates. Unfortunately we are leaving the UK on the 22nd of September so will miss the tournament. I would love to stay several months, but we realised early on that we have to balance that against the need to make a living still. Next time maybe.
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps you didn't catch the dates of the tournament,

it's AUGUST 22-25, not September.

I thought if you were arriving in advance of your talks at the RA, you might be able to catch the event, but if you're only arriving just prior to your talks, I guess you won't make it. Worth a try though.

J
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been to the RA at Leeds a couple of times and it is a must-see for any arms and armour enthusiast I think. Those guys have a great facility and really put on a heck of a show. The exhibits are second to none in my opinion.
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hedgecock wrote:
Perhaps you didn't catch the dates of the tournament,

it's AUGUST 22-25, not September.

I thought if you were arriving in advance of your talks at the RA, you might be able to catch the event, but if you're only arriving just prior to your talks, I guess you won't make it. Worth a try though.

J

OK, brain working now. But it still won't work out, we only land in the UK September 3rd.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Arms and Armour from the Movies" at RA Leeds
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic