Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pommel decoration question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Pommel decoration question         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm afraid my search-fu is weak tonight! I wondered if anyone had experience with placing a coin or other decorative iten in the pommel recess of a sword? I realize it would best be done during the actual making of the piece, but how would one do this after the fact..say placing a coin or similar object in the recess of aa A&A Durer, for example? All input is much appreciated!

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few threads that might be helpful.
Dan

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...reign+coin
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ommel+coin
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Here are a few threads that might be helpful.
Dan

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...reign+coin
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ommel+coin

Thanks for the links, Dan! I'm planning on ordring up a Durer tomorrow and thought this might be a fun thing to try to do..

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Adding items to pommels         Reply with quote

There are several ways they were added in period. The most common being a physical constraint or glue. There also could be a friction fit, which I guess would be a physical constraint. Many additions to the pommel are painted or enamled in as well. The constaraint type can be jeweler quality type mounts or, much more common, a deformation of the outer ring to hold the item in. The Bayerisch Sword is an excellent example of this with three or four (I do not remember which it was) chisel cuts to hold the item in, this was a common technique.

Today most people go for an adhesive. There are many good ones out there. I recommend something that does not soften in the heat as sitting in the sun can sometimes affect these materials.

Best
Craig
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding items to pommels         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
There are several ways they were added in period. The most common being a physical constraint or glue. There also could be a friction fit, which I guess would be a physical constraint. Many additions to the pommel are painted or enamled in as well. The constaraint type can be jeweler quality type mounts or, much more common, a deformation of the outer ring to hold the item in. The Bayerisch Sword is an excellent example of this with three or four (I do not remember which it was) chisel cuts to hold the item in, this was a common technique.

Today most people go for an adhesive. There are many good ones out there. I recommend something that does not soften in the heat as sitting in the sun can sometimes affect these materials.

Best
Craig

Thanks Craig..sent you a pm..

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding items to pommels         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:

Best
Craig

Hey Craig, I also added a couple of coins to one of your Durer long swords in this post:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7677&highlight=

In this project I used JB Weld. It works better than glue for attaching two types of metal together. I since traded the sword, but the new owner likes the coins and they haven't moved an inch during all the period I and him have owned the sword.

Thanks,

Bryce

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pommel decoration question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic