Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do Kydex sheaths scratch blades? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Barna

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Do Kydex sheaths scratch blades?         Reply with quote

If anyone is using a Kydex sheath for any of their blades perhaps you might remember my question and next time you unsheath a blade please give it a quick inspection for linear scratch marks. Do you think that these scratches are about the same, better or worse than those associated with use of leather or wood core sheaths/scabbards?

Perhaps the question could be asked this way: "Do the particles of dust and dirt carried into the sheath embed themselves in the Kydex and cause scratches in the blade? Is this comparable to the same phenomenon with scabbards made of other materials?"

A respected scabbard maker I know does not use any thermoplastic for this reason.

Kind regards,

Mike

Rest assured...I did indeed use the SEARCH function!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would say yes that one will get wearmarks but how visible they will be will depend in finish: On a bead bladed knife finish the wear marks will become very visible, on a mirror finish or a sating finish it might look like a more or less well polished part of the blade where contact happens every time one pulls the blade out or puts it back in.

If grit does gets in a scabbard I would imagine to see deep scratches if the particles are big or coarse.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My ka-bar has a kydex sheath and haven't seen an issue with it yet - its the all black recon tanto. I don't have any complaints about my kydex pistol holsters either nor have I heard of issues with them.

Also not all thermoplastics are equal. while a don't see an issue with the kydex sheath i could see a problem with the plastic inserts in a Buck knife i own. Grit has gotten ground into the inserts before.

Any one out there have any real preference for sheath material. I like Kydex for my hunting knifes, the clean up and dry quickly. But could leather be better because if grit did get into the sheath it would be pushed all the way into the leather and not touch the blade? but on the same note would that mean wood inserts could cause problems with grit?

So remember to clean the blades before [putting them in the sheath.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just know that one of my custom knives has light wear marks on the blade: Not a problem for a using knife.

Grit might not get into the kydex but grit in between the blade and the kydex may scratch unless it is cleaned out.

Probably much easier to rinse the inside of a kydex scabbard and get it dry again than try to wash out a leather or wooden one ? Getting them to dry out inside being the biggest problem. The last thing one wants to do is to leave a blade inside a humid or wet scabbard !

Michael Barna

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The reason I ask is because I was thinking about sheathing up a new Angus Trim Tactical Longsword in Kydex.

Mike

Rest assured...I did indeed use the SEARCH function!
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not really noticed any wear on my Kydex sheathed knives (several).

Holster-wise my Glock 30 has somewhere in the THOUSANDS of draws from Kydex holsters over nearly ten years and has no noticeable slide wear. Granted Glock's Tenifer finish is much tougher than most blade finishes, but.......

Other guns (blued, etc) show the same amount. If you keep the weapon/blade clean and the holster/sheath fairly clean it should not be a problem.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Barna wrote:
The reason I ask is because I was thinking about sheathing up a new Angus Trim Tactical Longsword in Kydex.

Mike

When the wear marks are in the same direction as the satin finish the wear marks, if any, will be subtle.

If the finish is a mirror finish wear marks may be visible as they will be coarser than the finish.
My example has a dull bead blasted finish and the wear marks are more polished than the finish. ( To repeat from my first post ).

For a using sword it's just the sighns of use and should only be a problem for a knife collector who wants his knives to be " pristine " new or it loses value. ( Sort of no fun to me if a collection has to be kept under glass and only touched when wearing
white gloves. Wink Laughing Out Loud The sort of collections were Star Wars figurines have to be in their unopened bubble pack ! ).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do Kydex sheaths scratch blades?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic