Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museum Pics Request Thread, Jr. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Simon G.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Museum Pics Request Thread, Jr.         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Some time ago someone had the ingenious and generous idea to allow people here to request pics from museums he was going to. Well, I'll very probably be going to the Musée de l'Armée in Paris next week, and I just thought I'd copy the idea. I know it's nowhere near as interesting as the original thread, because back then many museums were to be visited, but there are quite a lot of things in the Musée de l'Armée, and, this forum's demographic being mainly North American, I figured that maybe someone would be interested, and have a specific request I could be able to help him with. At any rate, I'll be sure to shoot around the whole place and upload the good pics on the corresponding photo album here, because 10 pics really do not even begin to cover the huge and varied collection of this museum.

So, if I can be useful, please do not hesitate to ask. It can be any request, very general or very particular (e.g. "I'd be interested in photos of ricassos" or "I'd like a picture of helmet no.##### shot from the bottom right"). Especially, if the admins have guidelines for me to better add to the photo album, I'd be glad to hear from them. Hope I'll be able to serve this site and its forum members as they deserve ! Happy
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Salut Simon

Ok, a special request : I was in the Musée de l'Armée 2 weeks ago, but without a camera, and I don't think I'll be able to go there until September.

So if you could please take a pic (or even several) of the horseman's hammer they have in one of the displays in the room to the right (the renaissance room or whatever). As far as I can remember it's on the right side of the hall. I'd need details of the head, handle and as many different angles as possible (and I know how crap the light is up there).

Thanks

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Simon...

Thanks for the offer...

What I really like to see is photos of swords taken from the sides of the cases, if possible, to show how the form appears in side or oblique angles. I am usually amazed at how thin they are and how thick and "chunky" most replicas are, relative to originals, when viewed from the side.

thanks again.

take care

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to second Kirk's request. Usually, photos we see of swords are taken straight on and provide little knowledge about thickness. Above, under, and sideways would be VERY cool. Especially of their viking and early medieval stuff....
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid they will not have anything Viking. This is a French Army museum ; basically, what's left of the royal armouries of the French kings, kinda like the Tower of London. Apparently, they begin with St. Louis (XIIIth century). However, I'll be sure to try and take swords from unusual angles, if displays allow for it (I'm a bit skeptical about that, but who knows ?).

As per Fabrice's cavalry hammer, I'll be sure to put that on my list too !

To all others : please do not hesitate to ask. I cannot guarantee I'll manage to get good pics of what you ask for, but hey, it's free and it'll be my pleasure to try and satisfy you all. Plus, it's not like I hate taking pics of weapons and storing them on my hard drive... Cool
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well daggers would be nice if they have some early ones and early firearms: Wheelocks, flintlocks, pistols, muskets and even the big wall pieces that look like muskets on steroids.

Oh, if they have very early handgonnes and crossbows.

Artillery pieces if any are there ? Any would be interesting but the earlier the better ?

Well, that is just arms. Wink Armour: brigantines, bascinets, kettle hats ......... well I guess I could just say " EVERYTHING ". Wink Laughing Out Loud

The normal angles on stuff but the side shots of things that rarely shown or even the inside or back of things !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa there, Jean ! I'll have to camp inside that museum ! Wink

Just kidding. I'll put that on my list. I do like early firearms too. FYI, I will not be able to take pics of anything that's "from Louis XIV to Napoleon III" (mid-XVIIth - late XIXth), because that part is closed. But that hardly qualifies as "early firearms".

About "muskets on steroids" (called "pierriers" in French), I remember they do have some, and very impressive ones at that. I'll hunt them down.

I know there are mediaeval arty pieces in there. I had a very interesting shot of the inside of a Rhodian bombard, XVth century IIRC. Lost that in a hard drive crash. Cry Will try to make one again. It showed how the thing was not cast in one piece as latter cannons were, but instead made of many "rings" of metal welded together to form a tube. Also, it was impressive how the metal seemed thin as compared to the calibre of that monster !

As per armours, someone apparently took quite a bunch of pics of late mediaeval armours (Renaissance) - they're in the "user-submitted museum photos" album (looks like this one needs a serious sorting and cleanup !). So I'll not concentrate on these. I'll be sure to check on earlier armour, though.

I'll also be sure to try and shoot at "unusual angles". It shall be an interesting photographic and historical experience !
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simon, I'd like detail pic's of this harness, if you can find it. (please ignore the 'BritMus' tag; it's definitely in Paris)

Attachment: 97.7 KB
BritMus 014.jpg

Attachment: 55.11 KB
[ Download ]

jamesarlen.com
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Duly noted. Any particular details you would like ?
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simon G. wrote:
I'm afraid they will not have anything Viking. This is a French Army museum ; basically, what's left of the royal armouries of the French kings, kinda like the Tower of London. Apparently, they begin with St. Louis (XIIIth century).

There are some viking swords in this museum; see the attached picture, I hope you'll be able to do better Wink There is also a room for even earlier stuff, including bronze swords as in the second picture.

Just giving you some more work Big Grin I will not burden you with requests as I'm close enough to the museum to try and take pictures for myself (albeit with a limited success Worried )

Attachment: 63.49 KB
viking.jpg
Some viking swords

Attachment: 64.61 KB
bronze.jpg
Bronze blades

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Simon G.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Vincent for the rectification ! I did not remember these early swords and their website does not mention anything before st. Louis. I'll be sure to try and shoot these. I'm due to work on the VIkings next year for my mémoire, so this additional work won't go to waste Wink

PS : since you've been there before with a camera, do you remember if they allow use of flash (doubt it, French museums are pretty anal about that) or tripod stands for cameras ? I can't recall...
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The earlier stuff is curently removed.

The viking swords are really great, but they're in one of the sh*ttiest shelves when it comes to lighting conditions.

They don't mind the use of flash, but you'll see nothing but the reflection of your flashlight in the glass. Been there, trust me. Don't trust your camera's autofocus, better shift to manual for this visit, also.

As I haven't seen any tripods in, I couldn't tell if they are allowed, or if simply no one has tried so far.

HEMAC member
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fabrice Cognot wrote:
They don't mind the use of flash, but you'll see nothing but the reflection of your flashlight in the glass. Been there, trust me. Don't trust your camera's autofocus, better shift to manual for this visit, also.

As I haven't seen any tripods in, I couldn't tell if they are allowed, or if simply no one has tried so far.

Even without flash the glass is problematic because it reflects the rest of the room... Last time I had to ask a friend to stand at the right place to mask a window reflecting just over the sword. And then there is the blur that you get trying to shoot in low-light conditions. After some times standing perfectly still for each picture starts to get more difficult Wink

A tripod might help on this last problem, but I've read about several museums where this is not allowed (the Louvre I think?). Maybe a bit cumbersome to move around too. I considered buying a monopod at one point, there seems to be an exploitable confusion as to whether it is allowed or not... I don't know how practical it is or how much it helps, though.

Actually, if you have any talent for drawing things, be sure to take paper and pencil with you. Can be a good aid for memory, and this does not depend on the quality of displays and light...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Simon G.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Even without flash the glass is problematic because it reflects the rest of the room... Last time I had to ask a friend to stand at the right place to mask a window reflecting just over the sword.

The flash actually has an interesting effect as to that. It is so strong that it will negate all other reflects. So, what you get is a white "hole" in one place in the pic due to the flash, but, if there should normally be other reflects from the rest of the room, these will not appear and the rest of the pic will be better than without the flash. The trick is directing your flash and adapting the angle you shoot from to place the "flash hole" were there's nothing important. I usually do not like using the flash because it gives unnatural colours, but I think I will resort to it for this endeavour. Shooting from afar with heavy zoom use might also help with the flash effect (not sure about that one, gotta try). Also, I have a monopod, I will try to sneak it in...
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jul, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, Simon, the helm especially, and then the rolled edges on the armpits, the backplate, gauntlets, leg harness... This armour has certain affinities with some armours illustrated in the Thun Sketchbook, and I'm trying to figure out how strong the connection is.
jamesarlen.com
Simon G.

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All requests have been noted, listed and a list has been printed. I will try to satisfy you all as best I can. If there are any more requests, you can still post them, but I am not sure if I will see them in time (I will probably go there on tuesday evening).

See you in a week for the results !
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you could take pics of the Falchion with the edge on the "wrong" side from as many angles as possible I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dan

P.S. If it helps, it has a bronze or gilded pommel.
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Simon !

it's been well over a week ! Big Grin

HEMAC member
Simon G.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry everyone, I have bad news. Due to a lack of informations on the museum's website, I was unable to visit the "Arms & Armour" (that is, the mediaeval) section... I was going there with friends and we wanted to visit the museum on tuesday evening - according to the museum's website, it is open from 17:30 to 21:00. What they do not say on the website is that only part of the museum is open - that part changes every week and, as luck would have it, we arrived to find only the less interesting parts (Napoleon's tomb and de Gaulle's memorial) open. It was a big disappointment for us all, and especially for me, as I am twice sorry for not having been able to provide the pics you asked for.

All is not lost, however. I'm keeping the list of requests at hand and I will fulfill them next time I go to Paris - which will probably be in october.

Sorry again, I hope you're not too disappointed and will have the patience to bear with me and wait till october...

This museum may be well-supplied, but really, their management is sub-par, and prices are high, too. Evil
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to read that, Simon. Though I wouldn't say Nappy's tomb is the least interesting part (I however find Foch's even more impressive).

As for your comments on the management : I'll forward them your remarks next time I see them Wink

And the prices..Well, they're Parisian-grade prices, unfortunately. But there are discount tickets for students, the military, an the like (but not for 30+ years old PhD students of Arms and Armour, mind you...)

HEMAC member

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museum Pics Request Thread, Jr.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: