Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Customized Albion Bastard Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Customized Albion Bastard Sword         Reply with quote

I just wanted to share with you guys my latest customization. The basis for this one was Albion's 15th Century Bastard sword from their Squire Line. It is a very nice sword to begin with, but after a few upgrades, i think it is a very nice little sword indeed.
I upgraded the wrap, sharpened the blade and did a little polishing.
Let me know what you guys think,
Dan

Last edited by Dan Dickinson on Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice Dan.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to upgrade the leather handle? It looks like it was done at Albion.
Also what did you use to polish the blade?
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the big compliment Happy !
The wrap was done the same way Albion does them with leather, glue, cord etc.
The polish was done with various grades of sandpaper and scotchbrite.
Dan
Allen Foster

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now it looks like one of the high end Albions. I'd like to upgrade by Angus Trim like that. How much time did it take?
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again for the kind words Allen, PM sent.
If anyone would like to have something similar done, whether it be to Albions, Atrims, Windlass, etc....or has any questions about what I do send me a PM ,
Dan

Last edited by Dan Dickinson on Tue 15 Jul, 2008 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great job! I thought about getting one of those used and doing the same thing but decided it's a bit too early in the 15th c. for my interests. I'm keeping an eye on the Squire line--wish they'd expand it.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree Sean, i think adding models would be a good idea as with the downturn of the economy and the necessary price increase, those models would be even more attractive to people.
Dan
Luka Borscak

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A nice longsword in squire line would be great. Something like Crecy, Sempach or Talhoffer. :-)
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the riser on the grip. It seems to be the most noticeable upgrade. I had to go look at the Albion web site Squire line model to try to compare. The photos probably don't do justice to the before and after polishing improvements.

I had wondered if anyone ever tried powdered machinists' polishing rouge in conjunction with the Scotchbrite buffing?

A really ambitious idea would be to strip the original wood grip off, and replace it with a waisted one. I figure you were tempted to do so, and could have easily pulled it off from the looks of your work! Nice job!

Jared

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's very nicely done Dan. And I second the comment about your wraps. They seem indistinguishable from the ones on the Albion Next Gen swords. Great job!
Björn Kronisch

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, my preciousss... Big Grin This will add a real treasure to my collection... just have to be patient a little longer. The grip is what I call a major upgrade, very aesthetically pleasing already on the photos. I'm eager to test the handling. And you even did some polishing without raising the price, Dan? Wow, thank you, that's a service! Happy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:

I had wondered if anyone ever tried powdered machinists' polishing rouge in conjunction with the Scotchbrite buffing?

Jared

That would be yes, I have this little bit of it left from a " bar " of the stuff I bought around 1975 and I have only a tiny lump of it left. ( never tried to find where I could get more ? If someone knows it would be nice to know ).

One way to use this for polishing that works for me is to use a piece of ordinary note paper and wet the paper with a drop of gun oil, rub the paper on the rouge to pick up some abrasive and then hand rub the paper on the metal surface to polish.

Doing this with the Scotchbrite at the same time wouldn't be useful if the rouge is added to the Scotchbrite as it is already much coarser grit, but using the paper and rouge after the Scotchbrite in the same direction does seem to give a smoother satin finish.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

Try Lee Valley, I know that they have the green bar (chromium oxide/0.5 micron abrasive) for next to nothing.

'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
Richard Eskite

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Doing this with the Scotchbrite at the same time wouldn't be useful if the rouge is added to the Scotchbrite as it is already much coarser grit, but using the paper and rouge after the Scotchbrite in the same direction does seem to give a smoother satin finish.

You might try this with White Scotchbrite, which is the finest grade of the material I know of. It's about the same as a BuffPuff, which is a facial product. I typically use White Scotchbrite for wood finishing, but loaded with some buffing compound might give it a little more bite on metal. I usually end up with Burgundy Scotchbrite for my metalwork. It makes for a nice, easily touched up finish.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could be mistaken, but thought the red (iron oxide) rouge was the finest in micron size. I would expect the rouges to do some good with the even the grey Scotchbrite (based on experience with wet stones and slurry of abraded stone improving the coarser intact stone surface's performance.) One could mount a cloth buffing wheel on a gear reduced speed drill mandrel and just touch the buffing wheel to the rouge, then buff the blade. Alternatively, I thought about just grinding some up with a mortar or with pliers, and coating the Scotchbrite with the crushed powder while rubbing an oiled blade.

My local hardware store (Lowes, but also would expect Home Depot and other major brands) carries these machinists' rouges in the tools section. A bar (roughly 20 mm diameter by 125 mm long) costs a little less than $10, and has lasted me over 15 years in polishing carving gouges (at drill speed the green or yellow rouges can go to mirror finish very quickly), pinewood derby "nail axles", etc. I figure the green rouge would be adequate for satin/ low gloss sheen on sword blades. I have not had a need to try it yet since the Albions all came in with a pretty balanced compromise between satin - gloss as originally produced.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared: We used to have a traditional hardware store where one could buy anything from sponges to plumbing supplies to bars of tool steel and heavy machinery but the place closed down a couple of decades ago.

Most of the hardware store today seem more Walmart or Home depot types and are fine for finding window blinds but the more weird nuts and bolts widget/gizmo/supplies are not in their stock.

I haven't had to find more rouge since the small 6" long bar of it lasted until now: This stuff can be used up real fast if one is loading up a power buffing wheel but just smeared on a piece of paper a small bar of the stuff will last forever.

The white stuff seemed much harder and difficult to load up the paper with it and wasn't as fine in grit: Liked the red stuff more.

On a shammy the red is great for light polishing where some gentle abrasion is wanted.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Customized Albion Bastard Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic