Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to dye a grip? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: How to dye a grip?         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I received my AT1563 today from fellow Forumite Justin Kirck and, although I'm very happy with it, would like to make the grip a more uniform color to match the scabbard. It has been customized by ASA Swordworks to appear battle-worn.(and done very well if fact). My question is, would it be feasible to simply utilize some leather dye judiciously to even out the color or would what I would like to do be more involved? Justin, I hope you don't mind if I borrow one of your pics Big Grin
Any advise is much appreciated! My apologies to our Mods if this is in the wrong place.

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just recently used proper leather dye on a strap and was amazed at how easy it was. Why wasn't I using this all along? As long as your grip isn't sealed with wax and the dye is darker than the current color, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to dye it in situ. I got my dye at Trilogy Leather in Homewood, so you might want to see what colors they have in stock before you order any. Might save you some shipping charges.

If the grip is waxed, the simplest solution might be to just remove the wrap and make a new one the exact color you want.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I just recently used proper leather dye on a strap and was amazed at how easy it was. Why wasn't I using this all along? As long as your grip isn't sealed with wax and the dye is darker than the current color, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to dye it in situ. I got my dye at Trilogy Leather in Homewood, so you might want to see what colors they have in stock before you order any. Might save you some shipping charges.

If the grip is waxed, the simplest solution might be to just remove the wrap and make a new one the exact color you want.

Thanks Sean! I belive the grip is waxed/sealed as it appears a bit 'shiny'. Unfortunately, as I am totally useless in that area, I think making a new on is quite beyond me! LOL.. I got a great suggestion on removing the sealant with alchohol from another Forumite,,but I am a bit hesitant as I wouldn't want to destroy anything. I may try ASA Swordworks to see if they might redo it.. As I recall though, I tried to contact them some time ago about a project and they never responded to me....

Thanks again!

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The grip was probably sealed with a Carnuba type cream wax.
You may be able to remove it with a very lightly moistened cloth (saddle soap and moderately hot water), alcohol/ brush. Too much of this and you will de-laminate the glue. I am not sure, because I have not tried to remove it before. It normally lasts for years with minimal maintenance unless you get it soaked several times.

For re-dyeing, the Fiebings alcohol/ analine based leather dyes (institutional/jail grade dyes are water based) work great if you are willing to buff lightly with a dye moistened rag, wait several days for drying between coats to judge color, etc.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
J.G. Grubbs

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
The grip was probably sealed with a Carnuba type cream wax.
You may be able to remove it with a very lightly moistened cloth (saddle soap and moderately hot water), alcohol/ brush. Too much of this and you will de-laminate the glue. I am not sure, because I have not tried to remove it before. It normally lasts for years with minimal maintenance unless you get it soaked several times.

For re-dyeing, the Fiebings alcohol/ analine based leather dyes (institutional/jail grade dyes are water based) work great if you are willing to buff lightly with a dye moistened rag, wait several days for drying between coats to judge color, etc.

Thanks so much for the advice. I have an email out to ASA at present so we'll see how that goes!

Many thanks

Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to dye a grip?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic