Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > what kind of sword would it be... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: what kind of sword would it be...         Reply with quote

hi all! i would like to discuss about measurements of bastard swords.

here's some measurements i've got but i don't know if they're correct :

overall lenght: 45 1/3 ''
Blade length: 27'' (maybe a little short tough)
Blade width:2'' at base, tapering to 1 1/8''
Grip length: 8''
Guard width: 8 1/4''
Point of Balance: aproximately 2'' from guard

i would maybe add 4,4'' to the blade but i don't know if it's ok to make a nice balanced sword...

the measurements here are from the sword of the mother of my girlfriend.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something is wrong if the blade is 27", grip 8" and you say overall length is 45. And 2" PoB is too close to guard, with longer blade it would be ok.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

so if i add a 4.4'' to the blade it would be ok or i would need to put more lenght than that?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a completely backwards way of making a sword. You have to look at it as a whole. Even if you're not basing it off of an original, or originals (a mistake, in my opinion), you have to design the thing out before even considering measurements. If you did this, you'd realize your measurements simply don't add up at all. As indicated in the previous post, your measurements would require your hilt/pommel elements (sans grip) to measure nearly 10 1/2 inches. That would be an awful thick guard and a giant pommel that was as long or longer than your grip. Those stats don't make sense.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i guess we're all a lil confuse today because i forgot to write other things for the sword
Here:
guard thickness: 3/4 ''
pommel: diameter 2 1/2'' thickness 1''
the thickness of the blade is nearly 3/16'' or a little more.
so i guess a blade of 32'' long would be better for balance and the overall would be of 43 1/4''

and the sword will be for training
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh! and if i knew the density of the steel in general it would be easier to determine the POB.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html
http://www.albion-swords.com/

Look through Oakeshott's typology and through Albion's website, especially Next Generation swords, to get a vision of what you would like and what the measurements should be like... I think that on a sword which has 8" grip length plus pommel you should have a blade min. 34"...
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
Oh! and if i knew the density of the steel in general it would be easier to determine the POB.

The point of balance is also very dependent on the blade's profile taper, which is determined by the blade's overall geometry. The other variables will then fall into place, such as the overall length and width of the blade. Even something as minor as a ricasso can alter the point of balance. Even more so if a fuller is added.

The PoB on a Type XII or XIII blade, for instance, will not be in the same area as on, say, a Type XV. On the latter, it may be closer to the hilt. As Luka said, there's a chart of Oakeshott's typology on Albion's website which should yield some ideas on where to start. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Bren O

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm of the belief that a 32" blade is ample in most circumstances. 34" or more is getting into longsword territory.

An 8" grip is as long as I would go with a wheel pommel, and even that is getting pretty long for a bastar, again gettin into bihander sizes. If we're talking scentstopper or other grippable styles of pommel I'd go 6.5-7". As a wheel 7-8" should be heaps, unless you've got real meaty hands.

As far as POB - anything from 3-7" will be acceptable, depending on the style of blade. a 2.5" x 1" pommel will be pushing 10-11oz, which will be quite the counter weight. Just profile the blade to suit your needs, and remember to instill some distal tape, and you'll go fine.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may be interested in the measurements of Albion's NG Mercenary, Castellan, or Constable. The blade length and overall length seem to be pretty close to what you're shooting for.

Also, 3/4" for the thickness of the guard sounds a bit bulky to me - looking at my Mercenary I'd guess that the guard is about 1/2" in the center where it meets the handle. The total width (perpendicular to the blade) is about 3/4" and tapering from there though, if that's what you meant. The handle is about 6" long, with the scent-stopper pommel adding another 2 1/4".

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ry-xva.htm

In my opinion, the Mercenary is on the shorter end of the spectrum for longswords, but then again I am 6' 4" so my judgment of scale may be a bit skewed towards slightly longer blades Laughing Out Loud

Hope this helps a bit.

www.addisondelisle.com
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone it's very helpful but the sword i would make would not be a real sword at all (no big budget Mad )

here's a link for the kind of sword i would make and it is the website of the place i want to study too: http://www.cercledeslames.com/ in the photo et video section (Fête de la St-Jean Baptiste - Drummondville)

it's in french only tough

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > what kind of sword would it be...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic