Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Three new custom swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ralph Rudolph wrote:
Gordon,

I have seen the original XVIII.8 of Records in the Wallace Collection two years ago and fell in love with it. I sketched it, as they did not have a printed catalogue available (later the extremely friendly curator provided me with a large high resolution picture they took for preparing a catalogue).
You cannot imagine my surprise when I saw your Peter Lyon sword here, which resembles the original so much (it has no hollow grinding though).
Congratulations to this beauty and outstanding acquisition (which I no doubt would love to add to my own collection ... )

Ralph

Thanks Ralph. At one point I had some detailed meausements of the sword, kindly sent from another forum member, but I lost them in a move. From those, I remembered that the blade was quite thick near the grip (was that your impression from seeing it in person?). Peter and I decided on hollow grinding to allow a thicker blade spine without adding too much weight. The Records picture also gives a bit of that impression.

While I love the detailed reproduction like Peter Johnsson does, where he studies a sword carefully and makes an exact as possible replica, neither of these could be that, since neither sword was available to either Patrick or Peter. Basically, my input was that I loved those swords, and they went from there, with some discussion (the hollow griding, the fancy carved grip from Barta, and how to interpret the Type XX blade from the not so good pic in Records). It is a testament to their skill that both swords came ou so well, I think.

The A&A Henry V sword that should be finished in the next few weeks, is another story. Craig has at least seen the detailed Oakeshott notes and sketches, and I was going for something as close to the original as I could get. They are making a pommel in the same manner as the original, with the hollow ground blade. With that one, I was infatuated more by Oakeshott's description and obvious love for the sword, than by the appearance.

Gordon
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword from Peter Lyon arrived last week. It exceeded expectations (which were high!).

The horn grip is lovely, esp in the way it blends into the pommel.

The sword is VERY sharp, and quick, even though it is quite long for a one hander.

Some quick pics (sorry for the quality - it is raining outside)

Attachment: 49.58 KB
FullLength.JPG

Attachment: 105.9 KB
HiltOpposite.JPG

Attachment: 110.7 KB
Hilt.JPG

Attachment: 120.01 KB
HiltEnd2.JPG

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That one looks to be excellent as well.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WooHoo! Couple of good pick ups there! I really like the look of the Lyon sword. The Barta is, well, a Barta! How does the Lyon sword feel? I imagine it has a lot of weight towards the grip with combination of the rather solid furniture and the hollow grinding. It must have a quick tip as a result!
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gordon,

Those are both gorgeous. I love the grip on the Barta sword. Do you know what forms the raised scrolls under the leather?

I, too, have a 6-odd year old commission with Peter Lyon that will shortly be started and I don't regret the wait one little bit. It will be my first custom sword and it ended up being more of a "here is exactly what I want" job than a "here's approximately what I'm after, go for it" but I'm local to Peter and it was hard to let go given that it was so easy to discuss things with him. I got to see some close-ups of your Lyon sword at various stages of production when I was discussing options with Peter for mine. That was Peter's first fishtail, mine will be his second though of a slightly different style.

Peter has been so tied up in working for Weta for a few years that he hasn't done a lot of (any?) custom work for quite a long time so there's not a lot of his recent stuff out there. It is very nice work though. I had the opportunity to see some other pieces of Peter's work in the course of talking to him about my sword, including a beautiful longsword trainer with 3mm edges that only weighed 3lbs and still had a good stiff blade.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,
All these look really nice. Happy On the Lyon sword, is there some kind of thickened area of the blade/faux ricasso where it meets the guard? If not, the lighting is playing tricks on my eyes.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Gordon,
All these look really nice. Happy On the Lyon sword, is there some kind of thickened area of the blade/faux ricasso where it meets the guard? If not, the lighting is playing tricks on my eyes.

Chad - No ricasso. That area on the 3rd photograph is a reflection from the sharp slope of the blade as it transitions from full thickenss inside the cross to the hollow grind. The second photo is more accurate, the third one has some strange light thing going on. I'll try to take some shots outside with good light this week. The actual edge begins a half inch or so down the blade, If you you look edge on, you see a triangle os steel maybe 1/4 inch long where the edge narrows to become thin, then sharp another inch down.
Gordon
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Hi Gordon,

Those are both gorgeous. I love the grip on the Barta sword. Do you know what forms the raised scrolls under the leather?

I, too, have a 6-odd year old commission with Peter Lyon that will shortly be started and I don't regret the wait one little bit. It will be my first custom sword and it ended up being more of a "here is exactly what I want" job than a "here's approximately what I'm after, go for it" but I'm local to Peter and it was hard to let go given that it was so easy to discuss things with him. I got to see some close-ups of your Lyon sword at various stages of production when I was discussing options with Peter for mine. That was Peter's first fishtail, mine will be his second though of a slightly different style.

Peter has been so tied up in working for Weta for a few years that he hasn't done a lot of (any?) custom work for quite a long time so there's not a lot of his recent stuff out there. It is very nice work though. I had the opportunity to see some other pieces of Peter's work in the course of talking to him about my sword, including a beautiful longsword trainer with 3mm edges that only weighed 3lbs and still had a good stiff blade.

Al,
The Barta sword grip is engraved wood - that is the scrolls are not raised, but made by removing wood from the grip...

Very interesting that you got to see the sord early on! The pommel is really nice, esp given that it was his first fishtail. One of my favorite details on the sword. I agree that Peter was really easy to work with - and very fast once he had the time to begin the sword. It wasd a long wait for him to get a chunck of time though...

Gordon
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe, Tim - Thanks.

The POB is about 3 inches in, and the sword is only about 2.75 pounds, with much of the weight in the hilt and the thick/wide portion of the blade. Yes - it is very fast - esp for so long a sword.(~34 inch blade).

My next project is to get full stats and handling impressions up for both swords (all 3 actually, as the "as accurate as possible" Henry from A&A should be here soon. Now that one should be a quick sword!

Gordon
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I look forward to hearing your impressions of the difference in handling between the regular Henry V and the hollow pommel one. I sold my Henry V about a year ago, but loved the way it felt. Any idea how much weight the hollow pommel will remove?
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm floored by that Peter Lyon XVIII is stunning, simply amazing.... I would love to have something of that caliber...
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: A&A Custom Henry V         Reply with quote

Well the final sword of the three is now in my hands. This is their hollow ground Henry V with one change - the pommel is constructed as a solid disk with the shaped sides attached, as per the original (as described by Oakeshott in his Records of the Medieval Sword). You can see the pommel detail, and the hollow ground blade in the pics below. Also the nice red grip and matching scabbard.

The sword feels amazing in my hand. I have not weighed it, but it feels not much over 2 pounds.

Gordon

Attachment: 67.7 KB
FullLength.JPG

Attachment: 78.97 KB
HiltFromEnd.JPG

Attachment: 68.35 KB
HiltInScabbard.JPG

Attachment: 89.14 KB
HiltInside.JPG

Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some shots of all three together!

Attachment: 88.05 KB
GroupShotFullLength.JPG

Attachment: 113.74 KB
GroupShot1.JPG

Attachment: 126.36 KB
GroupShot2.JPG

Attachment: 125.71 KB
GroupShot3.JPG

Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Someone asked for the measurements of these, so I thought I would post for all to see
Best
Gordon

Peter Lyon Sword
Total Length: 41”
Blade Length: 34”
Blade Width: 1.63 “
Crossguard Width: 6.4 “
Grip Length: 3.75 “
Weight: 2 lbs 11 oz

Patrick Barta Sword
Total Length: 48.5
Blade Length: 35.75