Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Port and other nectars of the gods... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Port and other nectars of the gods...         Reply with quote

There was a thread a while ago where Eric from Albion and Craig from A&A mentioned a couple of ports. One of the ones mentioned was Optima and I was wondering what exactly this was. You see, there is a winery up here in BC called Quail's Gate that has a ice or late-harvest wine called Optima and I was wondering if this what was being talked about as unlikely as that may seem. So Eric or Craig, can you guys help me out here?
James Ogle

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If they were talking about Port it was probably Port wine. Port wine is wine that has been fortified by adding grape brandy to it during the fermentation. Port wine originated in trade between England and Portugal when the British were cut off from the French reds they so enjoyed. The brandy was initially added during the 18th or 19th century to make the wine store and ship better. I think Optima refers to a label of 10 year Port from the Ware's (sp?) house or vineyard.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Ogle wrote:
I think Optima refers to a label of 10 year Port from the Ware's (sp?) house or vineyard.

Yes, what he said!

I think you're right James, I believe Optima is a Warre's Port. To tell you the truth, when I buy it, it doesn't stay around very long; and if you have Craig at your home, it stays an even shorter time. Laughing Out Loud So, I don't have a lot of time to read the label.

I think Optima is a little bit of heaven. For a 10 year Tawny, it is mighty fine indeed! I've had older Tawnys that didn't even come close to Optima. If you can get it, try it...you won't be sorry. The hard part is to find it...it goes very fast. Happy

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, I'll have to keep an eye peeled for that. The only Tawny I've had the pleasure of sipping is Taylor Fladgate's 20 year old. It was excellent. If you're ever up here in BC there's another winery you should visit. It's Sumac Ridge, and they make a very nice port style wine they call Pipe. The '98 is especially nice.

I'll make a note to self that should I ever have the pleasure to have either Craig or Eric in my home I had better hide the vintage ports. Wink
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:
Okay, I'll have to keep an eye peeled for that. The only Tawny I've had the pleasure of sipping is Taylor Fladgate's 20 year old. It was excellent. If you're ever up here in BC there's another winery you should visit. It's Sumac Ridge, and they make a very nice port style wine they call Pipe. The '98 is especially nice.

I'll make a note to self that should I ever have the pleasure to have either Craig or Eric in my home I had better hide the vintage ports. Wink

Geee...thanks Wink

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Port         Reply with quote

Ahh I thought I sniffed a good thread around here. Optima is an excellent choice I have had a few bottles around ever since Eric introduced me. I have actually had a glass of the Sumac Ridge. A friend had some a couple years ago he picked it up in Canada. I think port is an excellent hobby for any man of daring do who is looking for something to edify spirit and body, as well as it goes well with British Comedies does it not Eric?

Craig
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: MMM Port Wine         Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a port for ya!!!! Benjamin its made in Australia. It is smooth and packs a great buzz to boot! I have tried the others but Benjamin Port does it for me. Nothing better to wind down from a hard day.

Regards,
John
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How does Optima compare to Graham's Six Grapes?
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:

Funny you should mention the Graham's as Eric, Kevin Iseli, and I finished off a bottle of their 10 yr/old last night. Eric introduced me to Tawny Ports last year, and I've become a big fan.

It's funny, the discussions that happen around here are usually based around ourselves and guest sitting together over a nice vintage, whether it be Port, Single Malt, or beer.

Jason Dingledine
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andy Bain wrote:

I'm not a big fan of the Six Grapes. I mean it is an alright Port, but I think there are better...the Graham's Tawny is a good choice, but with that said, I think Optima is liquid silk. It is a young Tawny (although that is not such a big thing with Tawny's) but it is oooh sooo smooth. A nice cigar or a good pipe a sniffer of Optima and good friends...well, it hardly gets much better... Happy

John mentioned an Australian Port...they are doing some amazing things down under both in wine and port. Leif and Rebekah turned me onto a nice everyday Port from Australia that is quite good: Galway Pipe...very good everyday port...won't kill the pocket book and it doesn't disappoint on taste either.

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Port         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
I think port is an excellent hobby for any man of daring do who is looking for something to edify spirit and body, as well as it goes well with British Comedies does it not Eric?

Craig

I would have to agree, a more suited pair cannot be found...why for us Anglophiles (sp?) heaven involves Port, Ale, and Monty Python. Happy

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will have to check out Optima port at our liquor board store to see if they stock it.

In Quebec the "State run Liquor board" decides what we can drink: If they don't import it you can't get it unless you go abroad to buy it (And then pay large customs duty.)

As an example: They only stock 2 kinds of Saki, it is possible for a restaurant to special order (From the Liquor Board) something not normally stocked but the size of the order usually makes this TOO expensive, so most affordable restaurants won't bother!

THE JOY OF STATE RUN MONOPOLIES! ( Sarcasm)
At least there isn't a state run Sword Commission ! (Joke)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Josh Aldous

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's not only Canada either, Jean! The state of Pennsylvania weilds an almost identical control over liquor, determining what can be sold, where, and when.
That can be annoying.

Port. . . I've had Six Grapes, I know, and there was another that I actually enjoyed more. . . Sandeman's, maybe?
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay one word and then you guys can go back to talking about Ports . ABSYNTHE!
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A number of good Australian tawny ports have been showing up here in Idaho lately. I'm fond of Whiskers Blake right now. Clocktower, on the other hand.....not so good. I take it from the conversation so far that nobody's too enthusiastic about ruby ports?
Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Okay one word and then you guys can go back to talking about Ports . ABSYNTHE!

Hey Allen, Do you know any internet sites where you can import Absinthe from? I had an article on it once, but I misplaced it Eek!
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: I found it!         Reply with quote

Here are 3: absinth.com, laboheme.uk.com, and eabsinthe.com

along with some reviews:
Czech Strong ($65)
Effect: This is definitely IT—and it tastes like it. We became heavily animated after a glass and discussed the torturous contradiction: The most powerful absinthe has the worst flavor, by far.
Taste: More foul than piss from a leprous cat. Dose it with plenty of sugar.
Overall rating: four hacked-off ears Eek! Eek! Eek! Eek!

Mari Mayans ($16)
Effect: None. The green fairy stood us up! The distiller boasts this stuff is all- natural and additive-free. Perhaps that’s the problem.
Taste: Subtle hints of fennel and dried coriander, sorta like…ah, who really cares if you can’t get hopped up on the stuff?
Overall rating: one hacked-off ear

Pernod ($45)
Effect: Released a torrent of free-flowing lyrical thoughts and deepened colors to the point where everything almost looked CGI.
Taste: Spicy to start, but finishes smooth, like sweetened iced tea. Careful or it’ll taste like candied digestive fluid on the way back up.
Overall rating: five hacked-off ears Eek! Eek! Eek! Eek! Eek!

Deva ($21)
Effect: No great poetic insights, but this Spanish absinthe was perfect for two hourlong conversations about our favorite floor wax. Sadly, no Penelope Cruz–inspired fairies.
Taste: A wonderful, earthy licorice flavor, almost good enough to drink without the alcohol high.
Overall rating: three hacked-off ears

La Fèe ($53)
Effect: A light and airy high, full of promise, but it faded too quickly, like the hot girl who leaves the party early. Our pathetic existences crashed back on us.
Taste: Sweet aromas balanced by a slight bitterness. The bottle was dry in three hours, so it must have been good.
Overall rating: two hacked-off ears
[url][/url]
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't tried a Ruby port myself. Whenever I go looking a Tawny or Vintage usually catches my eye. There is an Australian one I've been curious about for some time but haven't gotten around to tasting yet. Has anyone tried Penfold's Grandfather? I believe it's a Tawny, but I'm not sure how accurate my memory is.

When the 2000 vintages were released I did the math and realized they would be about twenty years old when I retire, so I've socked several of those away. I'm looking forward to retirement much more than the avergae person would expect now. Happy
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck , can't recollect the name of the czech company we're getting it from off the top of my head but it runs about the same as a good bottle of scotch( $40-45 for Glenmorangie) and gets cheaper the more you buy . Takes around three
weeks to clear customes and get to you . Its great stuff and the whole fire and water thing is fun to do to .
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another joyful thimble, while not a Port, is Sandeman Character Amontillado.
Nicely dry/sweet, it has kind of a nutty finish. Try it with Tillamook aged white
cheddar and prosciutto on Carrs' Water Biscuits. If you're going for the strong
stuff, this one is nice and a couple of bottles won't compromise the house payment.

Best,
Doug

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Port and other nectars of the gods...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: