Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Idea for Patrick Barta Commission Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Looking for Idea for Patrick Barta Commission         Reply with quote

I received an email from Patrick Barta and he will do one sword and the wait is around 3 years.

However, I am not quite sure how to best use his skills. My thoughts were originally getting him to do a Schiavona or the red/gold/silver inlay rapier.... I also asked him if there was anything that interested him. In any case, he says by my request that I must prefer rennaisance swords. He says he does not feel he is an expert for those swords... that he specializes the most in swords before 1000 AD. But he says he would make any sword I wish... Any thoughts on what to order from him?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Idea for Patrick Barta Commission         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I received an email from Patrick Barta and he will do one sword and the wait is around 3 years.

However, I am not quite sure how to best use his skills. My thoughts were originally getting him to do a Schiavona or the red/gold/silver inlay rapier.... I also asked him if there was anything that interested him. In any case, he says by my request that I must prefer rennaisance swords. He says he does not feel he is an expert for those swords... that he specializes the most in swords before 1000 AD. But he says he would make any sword I wish... Any thoughts on what to order from him?

I strongly urge you to not ask to have something he's already created. Not only would I think he'd not be all that interested (or have much passion for it), but I'd ask you why not get him to make a custom piece for you based on a historical example?

If, for example, you are interested in a schiavona, simply give him some historical inspiration and see if he's interested. He might be willing to do his version of it based on the photos you provide, or he might have a local museum he can travel to for more detailed research.

The bottom line is that you are not limited by his on-line catalog of previous creations. He' s a custom maker. Commission a piece based on an extend original that piques your interest.

The way I have approached these things with makers (including Mr. Barta, himself, who made that specific schiavona you are admiring), is that I throw out a very general idea or ideas out to him. From there, I see what piques his interest and then we have a dialog about that. The bottom line, for me, is that I believe i get a better product if the maker is passionate about creating it. I don't want just another "customer request" but something that a person has put his heart into based on his own interests as well as my own. To that end, I pick a maker whom I trust and then let go and let him do his work with only the most minimal amount of input from me.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second everything that Nathan said. Having Mr. Barta make you a custom sword is something that many collectors will wish for and some will never get to experience so I would make it something special, and look for an inspiration that is unique and truly worthy of the time and expense you will be putting yourself through. 3 years is a long wait, I have watched my own tastes change over periods this long, so I would choose carefully.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
so I would choose carefully.

Sounds like Indiana Jones and the Last crusade...

Thank-you both. I totally agree. The funny part is that P Barta's interest may also change... I should almost request a spot in his cue, and then decide when it comes close to my time.... I'll give it some thought...

I just sent him off an email and said that essentially, we should reserve a future spot in his cue, and that I am in no hurry... That we can pick a project that interests both of us when the time gets closer....

I have to say, that Schiavona is a beauty... hard to get that from someone else knowing it would not be as good as yours/Patrick's version... Sad Also, whoever owns that red, gold, and silver rapier is so lucky....)

Last edited by Chris Artman on Wed 04 Jun, 2008 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim May

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I (also) have to agree completely with Nathan. If I ever had such an opportunity I would definitely be tempted by the Sutton Hoo sword, but there are so many gorgeous examples of the type and general time (within a few hundred years) that it is a fantastic opportunity to have something that is truly *yours*, possibly a sword that has never been duplicated. That is really the mark of a great weapon. In the Icelandic sagas great blades are praised because they are unique, and I believe it is that opportunity more than anything else that is really what you purchase from a sword smith such as Mr. Barta.

For me, it'd be the viking sword out of Peirce's book that has gold (I believe) plates laid in the hilt of writhen animals, not only is the hilt incredible, but the profile of the blade is simply powerful. Just thought I'd give an example of what I'd do in your position Happy. Congrats and good luck no matter what you decide!
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, keep the ideas coming, I love it!! I will eventually pass all ideas in front of him, and I have already passed yours on to him...
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would definitely choose something pattern welded... Migration, viking, Anglo-Saxon... Hi's a real master of pattern welding...
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jun, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I heard back from Patrick Barta:

"In the viking time is using of gold on swords very ,very rare-for inlaying was used silver,cooper or brass,sometimes bronze. Although old sagas started in 9th and 10th century,they recite about older time-migration period(I have read Edda and Beowulf)Only in this time was using of gold common,the most on the "barbaric"swords from 5th. century, they are known as "gold- hilt spathas"-one from them is on my sites too (the Blucina sword).The making of some to today no-duplicated sword isnt a problem, is known many, many of those nice swords. The Sutton Hoo sword (cca 630AD)is from this view late-the using of gold is stoped in the second half of 7th. century.After 700 AD is used for hilts gilting of bronze or silver base(Vendel sword for example).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for Idea for Patrick Barta Commission
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic