Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Problems sending swords - help! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Problems sending swords - help!         Reply with quote

I am having some trouble finding a courier or freight forwarding company that is willing to deliver sharp swords from New Zealand to the US and UK. To summarise my problem:
Blunt sword = prop = OK
Sharp sword = weapon = no way
The last time I sent a sharp sword was two years ago, and after many hours of chasing leads I found a company to transport the sword to the US but at great cost.

so my question for knife and sword makers or collectors who shift their items across borders, especially if you are based in New Zealand, is how do you it without tearing your hair out, and who do you use? If you have particular contacts who are helpful and understanding, and are willing to share with me, I would really appreciate it.
I would really like to hear solutions to my particular problem, before this topic diversifies into a general "delivery issues" thread.
PM me if you prefer.
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

PM sent,

Jean
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The best, least inquisitive shipping world-wide is Fed-Ex. Also, very expensive. I have used it many times to ship katanas to Macau.

I have shipped to Australia and England (viking sword and a rapier) through US Mail. Neither shipping had any problems.

Good luck,

Jeff

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar
Jim S.

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also having this problem. I now live in Guatemala. I have never have any problem receiving swords here - sharp or blunt - from the United States. But, when I have tried to send swords back to the U.S., NO one with accept them, including DHL. The explanation has been that the swords cannot be sent to the U.S. because U.S. Customs will not allow them into the country. This makes no sense to me as many people who live in the United States import swords everyday from outside the U.S. I am about to consult with an attorney here to find out what is going on. I tend to think that the people here just do not understand U.S. customs laws.
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and PMs everyone, I am getting some good ideas here. I have one ace up my sleeve which I have resisted using (you might be able to guess, knowing my background), but I am getting, not desperate, more like annoyed by the attitudes I am meeting with courier companies.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim S. wrote:
I am also having this problem. I now live in Guatemala. I have never have any problem receiving swords here - sharp or blunt - from the United States. But, when I have tried to send swords back to the U.S., NO one with accept them, including DHL. The explanation has been that the swords cannot be sent to the U.S. because U.S. Customs will not allow them into the country. This makes no sense to me as many people who live in the United States import swords everyday from outside the U.S. I am about to consult with an attorney here to find out what is going on. I tend to think that the people here just do not understand U.S. customs laws.

Import laws and restrictions can be keyed to specific countries. So it might be that a US citizen can't receive swords from Guatemala, but can receive swords from for an example England. But yeah, checking with an attorney is probably the easiest route in any case.

Johan Schubert Moen
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

generally I have no problem even if you tell the courier what it is they are carrying, however it seems that individuals within the company seem to take it on themselves to interpret whatever guides they have in a looser or tighter fashion depending on how they see they subjext, their mood or some other whim and sometimes I have been refused by carriers that have previously been fine - in a nutshell I can't enlighten you specifically as I have certainly shipped with Fed Ex, DHL and another biggie that escapes me.

However I now use the catchall of 'theatrical prop'. Many people use many different levesl of sword as props, so I think it covers pretty much anything. I sold sharp swords to The Globe and thats a theatre.................

good luck

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Problems sending swords - help!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic