Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > a gift for my father Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: a gift for my father         Reply with quote

I am considering getting my father a very special gift for either his birthday, which happens to land on 08/08/08 this year. As such, I feel he deserves something a little special and am looking to order an Albion sword for him.

I've poured over the reviews, (which are amazingly informative and helpful), but wanted some extra help.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to which sword I should consider?

The qualifications are:

1. One-handed (though I might possibly consider a hand and a half)

2. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye

Thank you!

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To give you an idea of the style that I might be looking for, I think that he'd really like the Sovereign, the Prince, the Knight, or the Jarl.

These are just some ideas as to the style, and I am more than open to other ideas!

Please help me out.

Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a suggestion...check with Albion on availability. They may be backed up on orders and not able to make a model you suggest in time. Also, you may check with them to see if they have gift certificates or store credit available so perhaps you dad could choose the sword he likes that way. Alternately, just happen to mention the Albion website and ask him which swords he thinks are the best on there as if you're planning on buying one from there. It's a ruse I've used successfully in the past myself. ;-)

As someone who is hard to please, and has experienced "giftee remorse" on occasion, I usually provide gift certificates for birthdays or events these days from the giftee's favorite store. Sure it doesn't have as much impact or surprise, but for an item that may cost up to $1000 is might be a good idea to find out what he would prefer rather than see that "you paid good money for this" look on a loved one's face.

Just a few thoughts...

Bryce
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan I second Bryce's advice re: availability. Albions standard production time is 16 weeks. Some are produced quicker. I myself have one on order that looks like it is going to not be finished until the 16 week deadline.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always love these kinds of questions! Connecting a purchase to some aspect of family history is probably a good way for non-collectors to make a meaningful purchase/gift. It's the difference between saying, "Dad, I got you this expensive and cool-looking sword" and saying "Dad, I got you this French/Scottish/German/Japanese, etc. sword to remind you and future generations of our family's heritage."

A very quick search revealed this about your family name:

First found in Midlothian (Gaelic: Meadhan Lodainn), the county which encompassed the city of Edinburgh, and is now the Scottish Council Area of Midlothian in Southeastern Scotland, where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

So, if I were in your shoes I'd be hard-pressed to think of something better than Albion's Laird:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...d-xii2.htm

Beautiful, unique sword and a nice family connection. If you don't like that one, consider the Caithness:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...s-xii3.htm

There are full reviews of both swords on the Reviews page of this site.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your suggestions! I'll probably contact Albion ASAP to see what their waiting schedule looks like.

Sean, a special thanks to you! I did admired those two swords myself when I looked, and it's an idea that I hadn't considered, tying it in with our family history.

Again, thanks so much!

Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could also look at Kult of Athena for what they have in stock for immediate delivery:
Albions, http://www.kultofathena.com/albion.htm

Also A & A, http://www.kultofathena.com/armsarmor.htm

KOA is a very fast and reliable vendor and when they say that something is in stock, it is. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second the vote for the Laird, I own one and it is one of my all-time favorites. I have not seen a better representative of this type short of full-custom work.
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry everybody. The people that were going to pool resources with me backed out. I'd still love to get him one, but I just don't have the resources by myself to afford one.

Thank you for all your help, time, recommendations, and comments.

If anything changes, I'll post it here.

Thank you again.

-Nathan

Truth before Honor,
God Before all

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > a gift for my father
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic