Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European scale armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paulius B. Voss

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: European scale armour         Reply with quote

What do you think about the Europoean scale armour in 14th and 15th century?
Whether you saw something similar in museums, collections, etc. ?

Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Paulius, look up ; Scale armor, there is a thread there that might interest you already on this subject.
Don't know whether this is of interest or if you have seen these already; http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2834&start=80

Catch
Paulius B. Voss

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank You, Lawrence.
Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Paulius,

Do you have any more of these pictures they are really quite interesting?

This may be interesting to you as well, check out the link;

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

Lawrence
Kevin Rossignol

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have done some home work concerning scale armor. Even though the Turks were known in history for their development in this area steel was also done by the Germans, Saxons of England, and even some Scotts came across or won by battle of their foes, pieces of armor that would met the "field" of Scale armor. I have made a few pieces of this armor for the neck. Like a gorget or other this seems to fit most people who are fighting in "harness fechshen" or armored fighting and does well. I am including a picture of my first attempt at this but I have done better as of late with the research showing that the people in history wore the standard UNDER the cuirass NOT over it! Hollywood put it on the outside for the glamour not to history.
If you want me to send to you some details, just post or e-mail me and I will share my details with you.
It is time consuming and involved and not for the general market as far as selling it in a gross fashion.... this is for those that want a historical piece for their own harness. I have fought in this many times in full contact fighting and with a “trauma plate” under it it works great with excellent movement and flexibility and safe protection. Find attached the first of my efforts but the new one sits UNDER the Curass and is historically correct tothe plates of the 12th century..I will post then tomarrow for you to see and I am sure you will agree.... or tell me otherwise! Big Grin
Best to all and be well.
Happy

Attachment: 64.37 KB
[ Download ]

To the brave go all things
James Pullen Jr

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just recently came across a company known as The Ring Lord (http://theringlord.com/). They specialize in chainmaille supplies, but also make/sell some very interesting scales (http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproduc...cat=Scales). I don't know if these are based on an historical source, but they sure have the Chicks-Dig-It factor! It's a very simple idea (you'll know what I mean when you see it) that makes me think to myself, "Why the Hell didn't I think of that???"
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Ringlord scales are very pretty but not very accurate from a historical perspective. The construction method (i.e. jump ring "weave") is a new invention but you could, theoretically, take their scales and sew them onto a linen backing and have it be somewhat historical. The scale shape is different than what I've seen in historical examples but, as I said, they are quite pretty. :-)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kevin Rossignol

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I totally agree, Shawn, I did get the scales from the ring lord because I lack the skills and equipment to make such an item and I agree that as to historical accuracy the actual scales were made more in a rectangle or even a square fashion and not in a leaf or teardrop style but as to the "WOW" factor again I agree and for the protection I receive from it in defusing the strike (when it gets there) hahah I am comfortable with its capability. I will post my latest one that it true to being worn UNDER the cuirass....It turned out very well in my opinion.
Be well to you all
Kevin
SOMMA

To the brave go all things

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European scale armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic