Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > myArmoury.com Bookstore Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: myArmoury.com Bookstore         Reply with quote

myArmoury's Bookstore has been around now for over two years. It's proven to be a great resource for people interested in arms and armour books, as well as history titles.

We now have almost 250 reading lists assembled by our readers, containing over 1,100 different titles. There are also well over 700 reviews submitted by our readers, giving members of this site and the general public a chance to compare our reader's reviews with those submitted by Amazon.com members.

For those of you that have created lists and reviews or have purchased items through the Bookstore: thank you. I'd encourage everyone to take a moment to let others in the community know what titles are important to you and why. And please also remember that every purchase made through the bookstore or when you use the Bookstore link to travel to Amazon earns referral credits for myArmoury.

Let's continue to expand this unique resource for our community. Happy Thanks for your help!

P.S. - I recently used my Reading List as the basis for an inventory I needed to do for insurances purposes. Having a reading list online can help act as a reminder of what you own should you (God forbid) have to deal with loss due to theft, fire, etc.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope this isn't asking a "bridge too far", but is there anyway to push my Amazon lists into the pile/queue here at myArmoury so that the site gets credit for purchases, or do I have to undo my current lists and redo everything from here?
Maybe it's a peculiarity of my shopping habit/personality that I usually put something onto a list and mull over the purchase for a few days.
Got any thoughts on setting up "wish lists" though myArmoury?
Thanks
Tom
(posted as a public post as I can't be the only person who has wondered this)

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Thomas,

I don't know about migrating existing Amazon lists over, but myArmoury already does have a "wish list" feature of its own. For instance, here's mine (hint, hint Wink). When you add a book in myArmoury, there is an option to add it to your wish list; when you've bought it, you'll have to manually go into your wish list and choose "move to your reading list." I don't know how much more powerful Amazon's lists are, but I am not aware of any plans to further develop myArmoury's system (which has already had a lot of time and effort put into it on Nathan's part).

Regards,
-Gabriel L.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Watt wrote:
Got any thoughts on setting up "wish lists" though myArmoury?
Thanks
Tom
(posted as a public post as I can't be the only person who has wondered this)

As Gabriel said, we have a wish list function already.

To get myArmoury referral credit you can either use myArmoury's wishlist and click from an item or your myArmoury shopping cart through to Amazon to make your purchase. Or, you can go to the Bookstore page, and click on the link where it says:

Quote:
Our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com allows us to earn referral credit on each purchase made from this bookstore.

That takes you to Amazon. Anything you buy during that session at Amazon, whether or someone's Amazon wishlist or not, should earn myArmoury referral credit.

So before doing any shopping, use our link to get there. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, Now we're talking!
Thanks.
I suppose that solution should have been obvious, but then it wasn't clear to me, so I figured I wasn't alone in being "Internet-hampered".

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad to see this resource still growing. I just had the pleasure of submitting the 801st book review. Happy

I think it's safe to see this is a unique resource in this community and I hope it continues to grow and be valuable to our readers.

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

801 reviews! Wow. Now that so much time has passed since developing it and I can take a step back and look at it: it is one hell of a resource, if I say so myself.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty cool, huh? Happy

I was hoping to be the 800th review, but Jack W. Englund evidently types faster than I do. Happy He ended up as #800.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just started creating my reading list but there is obviously something that I didn't understand...
I picked some books from "our reading list" and others, when I could found them, from other member's reading lists.
But there are many other books in my library that I couldn't add this way. Am I supposed to browse thousands of pages (more than 118000 for "general history") to find them ?

Anyway, how to add books that are not sold by Amazon ?

For example:
Early Medieval Swords from Central and Eastern Europe, by Lech Marek, published by Wroclaw University (Poland)
The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, by Angela Care Evans, published by The British Museum Press

Do you think interesting to add books in french (or other foreign langages)?

Thank you for reading,
Jean
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Le-Palud wrote:
I just started creating my reading list but there is obviously something that I didn't understand...
I picked some books from "our reading list" and others, when I could found them, from other member's reading lists.
But there are many other books in my library that I couldn't add this way. Am I supposed to browse thousands of pages (more than 118000 for "general history") to find them ?

Anyway, how to add books that are not sold by Amazon ?

For example:
Early Medieval Swords from Central and Eastern Europe, by Lech Marek, published by Wroclaw University (Poland)
The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial, by Angela Care Evans, published by The British Museum Press

Thank you for reading,
Jean

Many books not in Amazon's listings are in our Bibliography, accessible from the Bookstore pages and from our Features Page. The Bookstore Search page also says:

Quote:
If you are having trouble finding a specific book, try searching The Bibliography.

More books can be added to the Bibliography (and therefore to reading lists), but have to be done manually by Nathan. I know this if far down his priority list as I've asked him to add a number of books in the last few months and he hasn't had time yet.

There are foreign language books in Amazon's listings and in the Bibliography. They're certainly welcome if they apply to arms and armour.

The Lech Marek book is in the Bibliography. It's a nice book. Happy

Hope this helps. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jean Le-Palud

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks alot Chad,

I had already browsed through the bibliography but I missed the Lech Marek's book. My mistake Wink

The kind of book I was speaking of are mainly published either by Universities or Archaelogical societies, for instance:
"Sheaths and Scabbards in England AD 400-1100" by Esther A. Cameron, published by Archaeopress, Publishers of British Archaeological Reports, and several others.

I intend to send a list to Nathan so that he can add them to the bibliography if he wishes when he has some time Big Grin

Jean
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Le-Palud wrote:

I intend to send a list to Nathan so that he can add them to the bibliography if he wishes when he has some time Big Grin

Jean

Cool.

This is what I would need:

ISBN#
Title
Author
Binding (paperback, hardcover, etc.)
Publisher
Publication Date
Number of Pages

Additionally, a scan of the cover would help. 800px min.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Le-Palud

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Additionally, a scan of the cover would help. 800px min.

I started scanning the covers and hope this finished in a few days...
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

The Bookstore and bibliography is a great feature. I personally do not collect weapons or armour as such, but I do collect literature on the subject and am always looking for new titles and books to add to my ever expanding library. Unfortunately, those items that I have tried to buy via the bookstore are among the rarer titles, and I have alas so far been unlucky in obtaining any of them Sad ...but we keep trying, that is the fun of collecting! Laughing Out Loud

Jean Le-Palud wrote:

Quote:

Absolutely !! Happy In my own library I have books in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German, French, Italian and Japanese. They all have something to offer, plus they often feature unusual items that are not in most of the English language works.

Thanks for a great feature, and thankyou to everybody who has added reviews of books.

Regards,

Russ

PS. Nathan, if it is ok, I will forward to you details of a couple of books for inclusion.

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > myArmoury.com Bookstore
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic