Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Smithing Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Lewis

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Sword Smithing         Reply with quote

Were can a person learn Sword Smithing, I would love to be able to forge my own Swords and Knives.
Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Preferably, from a smith.

You could also check out books on the subject.

Look up the Armor Archive. Their forum could help.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

go to primitive ways on google then look at making your own steel knives they have the easiest explination i can think of
good luck Big Grin

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I learned it at a school, anyway. I don't know if that's very standard, though.
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Teaching myself some aspects of smithing, as far as the grinding process by improving blade mass distribution that is overly thick on some swords, started this by taking a big chance with a Del Tin Viking sword that I bought and it all worked out beautifully. Now working on a second sword, the Del Tin is finished and I am both surprised and very pleased with the outcome. This sword that I am working on now is a Type XII that was obviously meant for reenactors, by a small upstart company in India for which I do not know the name, but I took a lot of steel off the blade so as to turn it into as best a functional sword as can be made of it, though it is no Del Tin by quality standards. For one thing the fuller was not deep enough, it wavers, in that it is not perfectly straight and is wider in some areas and thinner in others. Additionally I do not think it was tempered correctly, however it is a lot lighter now and there is at least some life in the blade, whereas before it was as stiff as a baseball bat. Laughing Out Loud
I took it over to Kult of Athena today and showed it to Ryan, telling him it's only at the halfway point now and still looks like crud, but the next time he see's it, the sword will be all cleaned up.
What worked out for me therefore, was to take a sword that was already a finished sword and take it to a bench sander, mine has a 36 inch by 4 inch belt and learn to use the bench sander both the flat and the cylinder in grinding and then to the filing and hand sanding starting with about a 150 grit and work your way up. Well, this is what worked out for me but I've been told by others that what I was able to accomplish without any previous experience whatsoever is highly unusual. If that is so, then I consider myself to be Very Lucky and I am Most Grateful for the ability. It's been very humbling in a way!

Best of luck to you and your venture of smithing!

Bob

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Smithing
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic