Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Barta sword in classifieds Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Barta sword in classifieds         Reply with quote

Oh man... what a time to be short of funds. A Barta sword comes up... sheesh.

If it would have been an earlier period sword I would have said "Sold" regardless and figured out the money later... Happy

Oh and assuming that piece is in good conditon, that is a ridiculously cheap price for what you are getting in my opinion...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes - that is pretty. A Barta sword with no wait is the big thing.
I have a sword on order from Patrick - it has been 3 years now, but he will start on it soon!

Gordon
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Barta sword         Reply with quote

It does look as though the blade is rather banged up, as if it were used in rapier combat training. The post does mention the sword has been "used". I suppose it could be sanded down?

It is an incredibly beautiful piece, nonetheless! Happy

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I though the same but with a different conclusion as I am looking for a sword right now.
I have made an offer that hopefully is as obvious to the seller as to me Wink

petrus
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is nice, and I have a Barta on order myself, but if it's as badly damaged as it appears to be I don't think it can be filed out and used again as a sword at all. You should be able to get it to a wonderful display condition but that much damage would change the dynamics of the blade in my opinion.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
It is nice, and I have a Barta on order myself, but if it's as badly damaged as it appears to be I don't think it can be filed out and used again as a sword at all. You should be able to get it to a wonderful display condition but that much damage would change the dynamics of the blade in my opinion.

You may be right as the damage already shows appearant on photo but this to me also has the advantage that I will not be the one damaging the sword first Laughing Out Loud Wink

The sword was produced between '92 and '97 and has served a purpose during it's life which is only logical I guess.
This also means it is not as fine as the present products by Barta as he now has >10 years of gained experience which again is only logical.
The price has to reflect this, as simple as that.

Peter
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:

Sadly, it seems that it is in fact that beat up. What a shame, it does go a long way towards explaining the pricing however. I do not feel as badly about the lack of funds now... Happy Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I think at this point that it's probably a reasonable deal, but not the bargain that it would have been were the blade pristine.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot realy determain from these pictures how bad the damage is. It is not pristine. If you want more you will need better fotos.
That is has been used would save some from the effort of ' aging' it. To me it seems that it will impress the odd feral dog even as is Laughing Out Loud

I think it is impressive enough to have as a screen backgrond and it looks quite ' genuin' up there.

Btw. As there appear to be several Barta enthusiasts on this forum perhaps we can expect one or two more reviews?

peter

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Barta sword in classifieds
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic