Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your "most heroic" sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Your "most heroic" sword?         Reply with quote

Because I'm bored and felt like posting something fun. Wink

I ask thee this question: which type* of sword do you personally associate the most with heroism and adventure?

*Or types; you can have more then one.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me it's always been this sword.

I love it's line and looks. I wish I could afford this one.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's the Beastmaster's sword, right? Neat. Happy

For me, it depends a lot on what mood I'm in. Though, I do have a strong fondness for long, two-handed cutting swords. Odachi/nodachi, swiss sabers, that kind of thing. I blame too much anime. Wink

-Homer Simpson.
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Most Heroic Sword         Reply with quote

For me, there can be only one -

No, not the Highlander katana, it's got to be the Atlantean Sword from Conan the Barbarian! No sword sparked more imagery of conquest and adventure than Arnold's two-handed beast. Laughing Out Loud

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Most Heroic Sword         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
For me, there can be only one -

No, not the Highlander katana, it's got to be the Atlantean Sword from Conan the Barbarian! No sword sparked more imagery of conquest and adventure than Arnold's two-handed beast. Laughing Out Loud

Heh. You know, while the sword itself isn't anything special to me these days, I admit I can sit and watch that scene were Conan finds in the tomb it over and over and over and over...

They just got everything right. The mood, the music, Ah-nold's acting. Everything.

-Homer Simpson.
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Heroic sword         Reply with quote

Yeah, the mystique of "The riddle of steel" and all that. I will always remember the opening sequence when the Father's Sword is being "forged". I know it's incorrect, but what a cool scene! Cool
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Heroic sword         Reply with quote

Oh yes, that one too. And the scene directly after, with Conan and his dad on the mountain top.

But nothing beats the Atlantean tomb scene. That one is just very, very special to me.

-Homer Simpson.
Ransom Prestridge

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that I can watch that scene in the tomb over and over and everything from Basil's score to the details of the skeleton is perfect, but the one thing that always makes me cringe is when he slams the sword down on the stone floor to get the dust and the like off of it. I guess they did it to give the scene a sense of power and such, but does it bother anyone else as much as it does me??? Other than that one detail I think it's a perfect sequence in an excellent visionary film, but that always struck me as unnecessary and cruel. Eek!

But I will also throw my hat in with the Atlantean as the ultimate hero's sword! Shame I couldn't pick up an Albion version before they stopped making them.

All your Aquitaine are belong to us!
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll ditto all the above. You can't beat conan, and my vote is out on beastmaster. When I was a kid, I loved the show, but now that I'm older I can't quite feel the same about it. I think that would change if I could feel the way it handles.

Then I wonder what is the most noble sword you can think of? When I think of nobility and courage, or any virtuous qualities, I think about Excalibur from same named movie. Its almost what I think about when I think about adventure, but it has such a more noble feel. I'm about ready to go start the payment plan on a discerner before they cancel it as well.... Thou I'm flat busted, maybe I can at least get a place in line. Then I'd be ready to start saving for a beastmaster sword.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Arne Focke
Industry Professional

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The most heroic sword? Thats a tough question.

Hm, probably it is always the blade i am currently working on.
That may be the reason why it is so hard to let go of them and ship them to the customers. Laughing Out Loud

So schön und inhaltsreich der Beruf eines Archäologen ist, so hart ist auch seine Arbeit, die keinen Achtstundentag kennt! (Wolfgang Kimmig in: Die Heuneburg an der oberen Donau, Stuttgart 1983)
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:

Then I wonder what is the most noble sword you can think of? When I think of nobility and courage, or any virtuous qualities, I think about Excalibur from same named movie. Its almost what I think about when I think about adventure, but it has such a more noble feel. I'm about ready to go start the payment plan on a discerner before they cancel it as well.... Thou I'm flat busted, maybe I can at least get a place in line. Then I'd be ready to start saving for a beastmaster sword.

Heroic, adventurous, noble, romantic... The exact wording I'll leave to you guys. Wink

You don't need to bring up an actual example, though. I actually expected far less specific answers, like "rapiers" or "longswords", etc.

-Homer Simpson.
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What do you guys think of the "Arn" sword?
Is it too plain? Not fancy enuff?

Or Subotai's sword? Too much meat chopper?

Or Valeria sword?

Or how abot an out of this world sword?

Or am I just being picky? Razz

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Too picky!         Reply with quote

Y'know Gary,

I'd vote that if it's between anything Albion or Jody Samson made, picky isn't even a consideration! I'd take any of those into battle! Big Grin

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:

What do you guys think of the "Arn" sword?
Is it too plain? Not fancy enuff?

It's a good balance, I think.

Though, to be honest, that pommel disturbs me a bit. Somehow it keeps making me think of a wooden toy sword. I would have put a bevel angle on the two edges, I think that would give a better impression.

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Y'know Gary,

I'd vote that if it's between anything Albion or Jody Samson made, picky isn't even a consideration! I'd take any of those into battle! Big Grin

That's a whole lot less specific then what I was hoping for, though...

-Homer Simpson.
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Not picky enough?         Reply with quote

Then I'll just stick with the Atlantean Sword, and leave it at that! Razz Laughing Out Loud
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Jan H.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me, personally, the swords connected with heroic adventures, even legends, are the ones even our far-away ancestors used to speak highly of, e.g. in the viking sagas, the nibelungen sage, beowulf and so on.

The swords of the migration era and their offspring: the "classical" viking-sword are my favorite ones when it comes down to a nice evening by the fire and the telling of old stories.

The Arn-sword, of course tells of a typical knights story. For that reason I like it very much. It is probably the first sword a small boy would dream of.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From fiction, Hollywood-Conan's Atlantean blade - and John Carter's Martian longsword. Any blade in the service of the incomparable Princess of Helium is well worthy of a hero. (I can't help it, she's one of my more serious fictional crushes. Finding out they're considering a movie adaptation had me giddy for a whole month, only I couldn't think of anyone who could actually play the role and do her justice. Big Grin)

From history, I've always got that sort of heroic vibe from late Migration Era and Viking swords. And the Renaissance twohanders, used by bodyguards and landsknechte...

PS: Oh, and bridging fantasy and reality, Albion's Lady Vivamus. That sword is just pure dream come true, straight out of the adventure pulps we all loved as boys (and I still do).

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Dan P

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A short rapier, long dagger, and dark hooded cloak is what I'm taking!*

*Velvet mask, cool hat, and rich upper class lady infatuated with my roguish ways sold separately.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something about the scene where Conan knocks the rust off of the Atlantean sword has been permanently burned into my imagination. I'm not one for fantasy swords, but it just doesn't get much better than that.

Glamdring, Gandalf's sword, comes in a very close second. The image of Glamdring reflected in the terrified eyes of the goblin king is pretty darn cool.
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For me there is no question. Its Anduril, all the way.....the Flame of the West, the sword of Aragorn Elessar, reforged by the Elves of Imladris from the Shards of Elendil's ancient sword Narsil. Big Grin

And for a rather "anti-heroic" sword, I would pick Anglachel, 'Iron of the Flaming Star', the sword forged by Eöl the Dark Elf and borne by Beleg of Doriath. It was later reforged as Túrin's black sword, Gurthang.

Yes, I rather fancy blades with cool names that are forged anew and then given even cooler names. Especially if they are wielded by wood-savvy, wandering warrior-Men.. Wink

Wa bið þam þe sceal of langoþe leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your "most heroic" sword?
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: