Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Smallsword carriage. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Pav

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Smallsword carriage.         Reply with quote

I've searched the forum, and scoured the internet, but I can't find anything good.

A recent thread here had some terrific sketches of period belts and baldrics. But does anyone know any suppliers of such things?

I've checked GGGodwin, and liked the American Officer's baldric, but it only comes in white. Just not my color.

C&D Janagin Co has their "#7707 Shoulder Carriage (Baldric) for Bayonet Scabbard and Belt Axe Suspension" which should be perfect in "Brown(oil finish) rough out". There's a picture of the belt version, but not of the baldric version, so I'm pretty much making this my default in case I can't find anything else.

After these guys, I've got NOTHING. Searches for leather, baldric, and similar terms only dig up overpriced, "pirate" baldrics and leatherwork from tacky rennfaire dealers, and even sites that APPEAR to be leatherwork, but turn out to be a character's page for a damned online RPG...(now THAT is frustrating...)
I can't find anything with a simple, Colonial American feel to it. I even have a decent side of leather that would probably work quite well, but I just can't sew leather.

Reason being for all this is that I've decided to purchase the Hanwei Scottish Court Sword. The reviews I've read are pretty good. It's a little heavier then most would prefer, but within historical parameters. I like the overall design, and it's well within my budget of $400(which must be split between sword, carriage, and gloves). I've been wanting to get into historical fencing for quite some time, and I need something for dry-handling and possibly target-piercing later on.
I was originally considering the GGGodwin Colichemarde or Jaeger hunting sword, but can't find enough information on either.

So, if anyone managed to read through all that without falling asleep, does anyone know where decent historical representations of Colonial American(or European of the same time period) sword suspension can be had?
Since I'm here anyway, opinions/suggestions on my smallsword purchase is also welcome.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Smallsword carriage.         Reply with quote

J. Pav wrote:
II was originally considering the GGGodwin Colichemarde or Jaeger hunting sword, but can't find enough information on either.

I can't help you with carriage, but we do have a review of the Godwin Colichemarde smallsword: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_ggg_ss.html

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Smallsword baldrick         Reply with quote

J, I recently purchased a F & I era short sabre/hanger baldrick from Mike at Smokingironalterations.com, and I'm quite pleased with it. His prices are reasonable, and he can make up nearly anything you might wish. Mine is pretty simple, but I haven't seen anything quite like it elsewhere. Unfortunately, he doesn't have photos of his design on his web site, but I'll bet he could e-mail some to you. it's worth a try, anyway. Good luck! Happy
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
J. Pav

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad: Thanks. I saw that awhile ago. It's pretty much the only online mention of any of the GGGodwin line of swords, outside their own website. For awhile, I was honestly considering it, but am now leaning towards something more..."average" for lack of a better term.

Chris: Great site, thankyou. Though not much in the way of leatherwork, thats pretty much the kind of thing I'm looking for. I really want to shop around, and see if I can find something (afordable) that really jumps out at me.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Smallsword carriage.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic