Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ? for Albion folks... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: ? for Albion folks...         Reply with quote

I'm kinda curious as to how you folks picked the name "Albion" for both the kitty and the company. I recall the series "Robin Hood" which was on cable TV (Cinemax? Showtime?) back in the '80's. "Albion" was the name of the sword given to Robin of Locksley by Hern the Hunter, a powerful spirit inhabiting Sherwood Forest. Is there a correlation between the kitty's name (and, subsequently, the corporate name) and that TV show, by any chance?
"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion (I believe) is one of many names for the main island of England (in the same sense that Hibernia/Hyberia is one of many names for Ireland)
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Albion as a name         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremiah,

Howy can answer this better than I, as he has the knowledge of history behind him, but he's going to be down in Production all day. So I'll give it a go - it'll just be an answer in more general terms.

Howy adopted Albion in Maryland, during the snowstorm of 1996. The first thing he noticed about him, other than the fact that he was frighteningly thin, was that the brown and black spot on his back was the same shape as England. As Felix explains, Albion was a name used for England, and Howy, being a history fanatic, liked it as a historical term. And so it became the cat's name.

Howy had a business called Avalon Armorers before we started this company. We didn't want to resurrect that name (plus the name Avalon is used so frequently now, it wouldn't have much originality), and really liked how Albion Armorers sounded. Albion was our spokescat and Chairman of the Board for a long time - much to the envy of our other cats... Sadly, Albion was driven away (or so we're told) in the back of a truck full of straw. It is believed he fell asleep in the straw one warm October day in 2001, and wound up on a dairy farm. We haven't yet found out which one, but we still keep our eyes open. As many know, Wisconsin is all about dairy farms, so it's like finding a needle in a haystack, as they say.

Admittedly, the tie-in to the TV series is a nice one -- Howy's always loved the British Robin Hood series that does feature the sword Albion. It's circumstantial however. Otherwise, we'd probably be paying royalties... Razz

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin of sherwood as it was called in the UK was my all time favourite series.even to this day i dream of a replica of the 2nd season version of the albion sword.

"Nothing's forgotten....nothing's ever forgotten"

http://ce.et.tudelft.nl/~tirza/RoS/ for the robin of sherwood official site
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:
Robin of sherwood as it was called in the UK was my all time favourite series.even to this day i dream of a replica of the 2nd season version of the albion sword.

I heard it's finally coming out on DVD pretty soon...

My personal favorite episode is "Kromm-Kruac". I thought it was delightfully creepy. Big Grin

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

James Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Great Series         Reply with quote

That was a great series. I sure hope they bring it out on DVD. BTW, am I the only one who noticed a certain resemblance between the Saracen in the series and one Drizzt Do'Urden of R.A. Salvatore fame?
"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anybody remember an earlier Robin Hood series of 1950s staring Richard Green? This series is one of my favorite chilhood memories.

Does anybody remenber the Ivanhoe series staring Roger Moore, this was before his The Saint series.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Sat 22 May, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Lee Watts wrote:

I heard it's finally coming out on DVD pretty soon...

My personal favorite episode is "Kromm-Kruac". I thought it was delightfully creepy. Big Grin

hey Jeremiah and James its allready out in nice double dvd box sets on region 2, handy if u have a multi region player
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How very well I remember the Robin Hood series with Michael Praed and, later, Jason Connery. It's definitely been one of my favorite series of all time and I loved the incidental and theme music of Clannad ... I always thought the Albion sword in the first season was pretty cheesy, but the second season Albion sword was definitely a winner and I flipped over the full length episode "The Swords of Wayland" which featured all of the Seven Swords of Wayland of which the sword Albion is one ... there were Murax, Elidor, Solas, Balef, Flaurus, Orias and Albion. I've often wished that someone (hopefully Albion Armorers, someday, hint hint) would replicate the Seven Swords of Wayland ... what a set those would be! Big Grin But, I would definitely be pleased with the sword Albion itself if it were the only one replicated. Wink
"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*blush* By the way, by saying "I always thought the Albion sword in the first season was pretty cheesy" I'm meaning (of course) the sword of Robin Hood called Albion and not a sword made by Albion. I just read my own post and thought "oh my gosh, that could easily be taken the wrong way". Eek!
"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Series         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
That was a great series. I sure hope they bring it out on DVD. BTW, am I the only one who noticed a certain resemblance between the Saracen in the series and one Drizzt Do'Urden of R.A. Salvatore fame?

Yeah. Nasir kicked butt!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: You are my Hero         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:

Lee,

You are my hero! For years I've only been able to watch the 4 playhouse videos that were release for region 1. I'd given up hope of ever being able to find a good copy of the complete program and now to find out that it's on DVD is the best news of the week. Cool

THANK YOU!!
Ian Chin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Robin Of Sherwood swords (swords Of wayland)         Reply with quote

Hi there all. I'm a massive fan of Robin Of Sherwood . In my opinion It was defineatley the most difinitive of all Robin Hood tv series/ films. I am also fortuneate in knowing several people connected to the series and one of my friends is the proud owner of the sword Orias which features for several minutes in the the beginning of ' The Swords Of Wayland' series.

For the record. The majority of these swords were auctioned off at a Robin Of Sherwood convention held by my friend, several years ago. Phil Rose (Friar Tuck) was originally the keeper of the swords once the series was over. Phil was the auctioneer at the ' Silver Arrow' convention. These were purchased by those lucky to enough to attend the convention and it was there that my mate Dan, had the opportunity to purchase one of the swords, Orias.

Other than Albion the other six swords were one off specials for the series ' The Swords Of Wayland' . They are more rarer than Robin's sword Albion. Around 12 versions of Albion were made for the series. Some were for close up shots, fighting etc. Nine of these broke throughout the series and there are only three of these in exsistance today. One being on display at 'The Tales Of Robin Hood' in Nottingham. I had the privilage of holding one the fighting Albion's and upon close inspection, the blade is quite badly jarred and jagged from its used in the show. Still, it is nicely balanced and well made. I believe Michael (Praed), owns one of the series 1 Albions. But I defineatley prefer series 2 and three Albion versions. If you watch the series carefully, you'll notice that Albion changes versions between series2 & 3 versions.

It would be my dream to own one of these swords. I very much doubt that these would be reproduced by a sword manufacturer. However, I have a friend who has made a replica of Albion. The pics of his replica can be found through this link. His website is currently in redevelopement:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.thorpe-willett/swords/swords.htm
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Anybody remember an earlier Robin Hood series of 1950s staring Richard Green? This series is one of my favorite chilhood memories.

I loved the Robin of Sherwood series. Not sure who I liked better, Connery or Praed as Robin.

I also remember the Richard Greene version. For some strange reason the chorus of one of its theme songs is still in my head:

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men
Feared by the Bad, Loved by the Good
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood

Which brings up the question - If you couldn't have both, which would you rather be -- feared by the bad or loved by the good?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Anybody remember an earlier Robin Hood series of 1950s staring Richard Green? This series is one of my favourite childhood memories.

I loved the Robin of Sherwood series. Not sure who I liked better, Connery or Praed as Robin.

I also remember the Richard Greene version. For some strange reason the chorus of one of its theme songs is still in my head:

Which brings up the question - If you couldn't have both, which would you rather be -- feared by the bad or loved by the good?

Nice to see this Topic brought back from way back when: It good that people look up some of the older Topics and pick up the conversation from where it stopped ....... years later ..... Cool Laughing Out Loud

As to the song I remember it also and the DVDs of that first series are available and worth seeing I think: Might seem very dated today but if I remember the story telling was very good.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Robin Of Sherwood swords (swords Of wayland)         Reply with quote

Ian Chin wrote:
Hi there all. I'm a massive fan of Robin Of Sherwood . In my opinion It was defineatley the most difinitive of all Robin Hood tv series/ films. I am also fortuneate in knowing several people connected to the series and one of my friends is the proud owner of the sword Orias which features for several minutes in the the beginning of ' The Swords Of Wayland' series.

For the record. The majority of these swords were auctioned off at a Robin Of Sherwood convention held by my friend, several years ago. Phil Rose (Friar Tuck) was originally the keeper of the swords once the series was over. Phil was the auctioneer at the ' Silver Arrow' convention. These were purchased by those lucky to enough to attend the convention and it was there that my mate Dan, had the opportunity to purchase one of the swords, Orias.

Other than Albion the other six swords were one off specials for the series ' The Swords Of Wayland' . They are more rarer than Robin's sword Albion. Around 12 versions of Albion were made for the series. Some were for close up shots, fighting etc. Nine of these broke throughout the series and there are only three of these in exsistance today. One being on display at 'The Tales Of Robin Hood' in Nottingham. I had the privilage of holding one the fighting Albion's and upon close inspection, the blade is quite badly jarred and jagged from its used in the show. Still, it is nicely balanced and well made. I believe Michael (Praed), owns one of the series 1 Albions. But I defineatley prefer series 2 and three Albion versions. If you watch the series carefully, you'll notice that Albion changes versions between series2 & 3 versions.

It would be my dream to own one of these swords. I very much doubt that these would be reproduced by a sword manufacturer. However, I have a friend who has made a replica of Albion. The pics of his replica can be found through this link. His website is currently in redevelopement:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.thorpe-willett/swords/swords.htm

Hi Ian!

If anyone you know could loan us an original and any source material on the inscriptions, we'd love to recreate these swords at Albion (I'd love to have one as well). If I had enough good material to ensure an accurate recreation, I'd pursue getting the rights to make them.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My elder sister was a huge fan as well. I grew up with the series on in the background most of my youth. I, in turn, have a fondness for it, but I can't claim to be a huge fan. I would hazard a guess that a replica of herns arrow (silver arow) would be a low cost/high return marketable prop to sell. Way eaisier to make and import/export than a whole sword.... just a thought. Wink
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just bought the entire Robin Of Sherwood series on DVD!!! WooHoo!!! I loved that show as a kid, and I'm already falling in love with it again. Big Grin
Ian Chin

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Robin Of Sherwood swords (swords Of wayland)         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Ian Chin wrote:

Hi Ian!

If anyone you know could loan us an original and any source material on the inscriptions, we'd love to recreate these swords at Albion (I'd love to have one as well). If I had enough good material to ensure an accurate recreation, I'd pursue getting the rights to make them.

Best,

Howy

Hi Howy

Thanks for your reply. I very much doubt if my friend would be prepared to loan his Orias for inspection. But if you like. I could supply you with some source material etc regarding the swords. That may be of some help to you.

Regards

Ian
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Feared by the bad would be my choice. We old farts are betraying our ages - I was also a big fan of Richard Greene and the 1950's The Adventures of Robin Hood series. And thanks for bringing up that chorus - now it is rolling around my head, too!

I also enjoyed the Robin of Sherwood series. Fortunately, I have some of the music from that show (by Clannad) and I can use that as an antidote to that old 1950's chorus.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ? for Albion folks...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: