Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Announcing SwordWiki Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Announcing SwordWiki         Reply with quote

www.swordwiki.org is now online.

This started on Sword Forum due to people wanting a database of Angus Trim's out of production swords, but we managed to turn it into a full fledged wiki.

If you have any articles to add on specific production swords, makers, sword topics (harmonic balence), swordsmen, or anything, please do... I would love to see this become something very useful, since I think is has the potential to do so.

PS: Mods, I think this is the proper section for this, but if not, feel free toss it to wherever.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm quite excited about this. I hope my server holds up... Happy

We've already started putting together a framework with basic index and sections, and a few sword models. It's my hope that collectors will be wiling to contribute photos, stats, descriptions, reviews, and general info to help flesh out the data.

But we also need information to be added in a lot of other areas as well.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So is any sort of sword-related information welcome there?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, all sword-related information is welcome, as long as it's factual information and not story-telling. Happy
-Ed T. Toton III
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put up an article entitled "SwordWiki Guidelines" that should give a general idea of what we are looking for, if you have any suggestions for the guidleines just email myself or Mr. Toton.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if we could get Chad's approval to transplant the Typology stuff over?

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

Do you mean me? Happy If you would like to inquire about using any of myArmoury's content (text, images, etc.) please first refer to our Copyright Information Page for general info. Any specific requests to use myArmoury content need to be addressed to Nathan Robinson.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

You could always just put up a link to the already existing article, rather than copying it. Seems easier that way to me. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ctrl C, Ctrl V for the win Razz

I'll give the Copyright stuff a read through; I had thought the articles where by Chad but they're by someone else; his profile page had no contact info, however. :|

M.

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Ctrl C, Ctrl V for the win Razz

But why bother? If someone has gone through the hard effort of writing and publishing an article for free on one website, why bother copying it on another?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for this SwordWiki... I've even already started contributing with it. But it makes a lot more sense to write new content, while linking to outside sources, then it does to just copy and paste other people's work (even with their permission).

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, in some of these cases it may make sense to have a general overview or summary, and link to myArmoury articles as "further reading" (and articles on other sites such as wikipedia for that matter). Sometimes having an index to a variety of resources is just as useful as having an in-depth article.
-Ed T. Toton III
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We should have our own articles, which should link to myArmoury, since it is a fantastic site. I see SwordWiki filling a slightly different niche than myArmoury in that sword Wiki should be straight information, whereas in a published article an auther can present his/her opinion. Some articles on both websites should be redundant, but I think it would be worthless to copy paste them, since that would bring nothing new to the community, and problably against copyright.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stirling Matheson wrote:
We should have our own articles, which should link to myArmoury, since it is a fantastic site. I see SwordWiki filling a slightly different niche than myArmoury in that sword Wiki should be straight information, whereas in a published article an auther can present his/her opinion. Some articles on both websites should be redundant, but I think it would be worthless to copy paste them, since that would bring nothing new to the community, and problably against copyright.

I might disagree that our stuff is opinion-based while yours wouldn't be. Any product review (here or elsewhere) will have a level of subjectivity no matter what you do. Stats, though, yours or ours, are "straight information." Our non-review articles are not editorials, they're researched presentations of published facts.

Further, we have an editorial process that ensures a consistent focus, look, and feel, holding all articles to the same standards. As we have seen by controversies on the big Wikipedia, you don't always have factual information presented when there is not a process in place to vet what's being posted.

Just my two cents of opinion vs. fact....

Also, copying and pasting our articles would be both redundant and in violation of copyright. Happy

I'm all for people creating new resources, though, and wish you guys success in your endeavors. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not saying your articles are completely subjective, but there is more room here for opinion than I think is proper in a Wiki. myArmoury is clearly based on facts and knowledge of the topic at hand, but there is room for an author's personal opinion in an article. That's all I mean to say.

Wikis of course have nice amounts of drivel posted on them... but that's what moderation is for. Big Grin

I'm nice and familiar with everything on this site, so if I see anything that has been ctrl-v ctrl-p I'll delete it immediatly.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stirling Matheson wrote:
I'm not saying your articles are completely subjective, but there is more room here for opinion than I think is proper in a Wiki. myArmoury is clearly based on facts and knowledge of the topic at hand, but there is room for an author's personal opinion in an article. That's all I mean to say.

In looking at your articles on some swordmakers, I'd say there is indeed opinion presented. I think the opinions are helpful and valid, actually, but call them what they are. Happy

To try to be helpful, I signed up and corrected two makers' pages and added two more. Happy I also corrected a couple of other articles where myArmoury was listed as "myArmoury." It's a little thing, I know, but it's nice to have our name correctly spelled.

Happy

ChadA

Ed Toton

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent, yes I see some of your contributions. Thanks for lending a hand!

I've also gone in and removed a few opinions, though they're certainly going to creep in. I think you're right, some of it will certainly be valid, but we should be careful about how it's presented.

Wikipedia has the term "weasel words" for another concept I'm trying to steer clear of-- making statements along the lines of "many feel that" or "most agree", etc. If it can't be quantified, it should probably be reworded.

One thing I've also been doing is adding an indicator of some kind to the sword model names if they don't have model numbers already. We'll quickly run into name collisions otherwise (for instance, A&A "smallsword" vs Cold Steel "smallsword" vs the generic smallsword article/definition). Of course, we could always do what wikipedia does, and have disambiguation pages and so forth on a case by case basis, but I figured that would be more work for everyone. Thoughts?

-Ed T. Toton III
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was kidding about copypasta, of course; I am considering writing up an article after class tomorrow, citing our articles here as well as a few books I possess.

M.

Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. That could be pretty damn awesome if it grows and gets enough articles... Happy
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that having "A&A Smallsword" vs. "Smallsword" should work pretty well without the need to add disambiguations.

On a side note, how tough should we be on citations? We havn't really been watching this too much, and I wouldn't want this is degenerate into craziness. I'm probably going to go in and add citation neededs to a few articles. However, this would severely limit our ability to provide statistics on swords, since most of them have been measured by the submitter.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Announcing SwordWiki
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: