Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > retractable dagger? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Meulemans wrote:
Dan P wrote:
Why does he wear it on the INSIDE of his arm, which severely limits how he can use that hand without cutting his fingers all the time?

I find it very interesting that, at least according to the Wikipedia entry, the game designers anticipated this question:

"Altaïr is also missing his left hand ring finger which was severed as part of the initiation ceremony when he received his mechanical dagger. When the blade is extended and the hand is balled into a fist the blade extends through the space left by the removed ring finger. A trailer showing the dagger being "unsheathed" shows a complex clockwork mechanism."

And apparently a reasonable approximation of the blade's mechanism can be crafted from LEGOs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIBoB_ErZCY

Game thinking here as far as I'm concerned ! Taking advantage of a lost finger might make sense but losing a digit to be able to use a specialized weapon that would have few if any advantages compared to just pulling an ordinary dagger, just doesn't seem useful or rational to me !

Now, as some sort of weird " initiation " it might make some sort of sense but only because " secret societies " can have all sorts of odd traditions.

Oh, and a little good design work would make the mechanism work safely without having the design being dependant on missing a finger if one still decided that the idea what worth it !

A very powerful ballistic opening could be used to power the thrust it self as opposed to just deploying the weapon and having the hand thrust forward: Could open and close faster than the blink of an eye ! So, as an assassination tool of surprise weapon it might still be worth the trouble.

Oh, and back to the loosing of a finger: Deliberately weakening one's grip for use with ordinary weapons is another reason to think that this is a bad idea in real life ! But in a game why not. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Y. Kuipers

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting discussion! One of my fellow training and performing partners linked me to this topic. Me and my group are doing an Assassin's Creed promotion performance for Ubisoft next month and we're planning to construct and use this weapon in the show.
So far I've designed a simple model using springs to "launch" the blade. For it's purpose of being a stunt weapon the mechanism won't have to lock while the blade is out (so you can safely "stab" someone), but a locking switch could be implemented. There is a lock to keep the blade inside, but it will have to be opened with the other hand. (In one of the game trailers, it is shown the dagger mechanism is activated by pressing a button with the other hand as well). In my design, it'll be more like pulling out a pin, but I realize there are more subtle ways to do it.

Here's a link to my "blueprint":
http://northernwind.arandoir.com/images/ACspringblade2.jpg

Anyhow, this is only a simple solution/imitation in which I'm only able to get a total outside blade length of 15 to 18 cm. One of the game trailers shows a complex mechanism with gears and stuff, but apart from giving a sophisticated and fancy look, I wouldn't know the purpose of these.

I'll start working on it by the end of this week. I'll keep you updated if you're interested. Suggestions are also welcome of course. Wink
Y. Kuipers

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm... looking at the reference picture in the first post, gave me an idea. Maybe the bladelength could be doubled by applying a "telescopic"-like deployment.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Y. Kuipers wrote:
Hmmm... looking at the reference picture in the first post, gave me an idea. Maybe the bladelength could be doubled by applying a "telescopic"-like deployment.

A fast forward shake combined with some mechanism needing the wrist to be bent back out of the way in an exaggerated way to free up some sort of safety mechanism for the blade to extend would be better than having to use the other hand to press some sort of release.

In other words doing both at the same time would free the blade: Doing only one or the other wouldn't do anything.
A secondary more positive safety could also be used and discretely released when expecting trouble.

Oh, a telescoping rear element with the blade as a forward " sharp & pointy " could double the reach of the weapon.

In any case for a game " real life " usage/practicality is not needed but in game it does help suspension of disbelief if the mechanism looks plausible.

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd agree with Jean that, in an open fight, the blade would have the significant disadvantage that it can't be easily transferred to an icepick grip or to the off hand, but it might work for a surprise attack where the assassin needs only to stab once against an unsuspecting opponent.

I keep wondering about the game's concept of the assassin, though. Most fantasy (and even historical) assassin games and stories nowadays tend to assume a single stealthy assassin, whereas the historical evidence tends to favor the employment of multiple assassins operating as a team--and in many cases these assassins were little better than thugs. I'm not saying that assassins can't be skilled, though. It's just like I wonder why the assassins can't use more teamwork in those games and stories.

Horribly off-topic, I know. But it fits the title of the board. ;P
Josh E

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

updates would be awsome. your design, does it have a spring or similar mechanism for retracting the blade or do you have to do that manually?
Y. Kuipers

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was delayed a bit by exams, but I got most of my materials now.

There's a slight modification in the plan. If it all works out, the blade will be launched by stretching the hand backwards (using a string connecting the unlock mechanism to a ring.

I haven't put much thought in ways to have the blade auto-retract. Though it would be really cool, I'm afraid it'll over complicate the model and I'll never finish it in time ; ) .
David Jung

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Wrist dagger         Reply with quote

I don't think this could be done with a spring mechanism. However, it could very simply be done with just a pressure fit. The blade is held in place by friction, then deployed with a sudden arm jerk. The blade would then lock. But, you would have to draw it back in manually.

Having on the underside of the arm is quite impractical. If you were going to make one, it would have to be on the top of the forearm, so the blade comes out on top of the wrist.

I am currently building this knife from sheet metal I got from Lowe's.
Josh E

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i don't think that practicality matters all that much. it's the design that is of import. if needed it can be modified to sit comfortably and safely else where.
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm... regarding a "retract-mechanism": I came upon this last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VLSMxlF5gY

This "pull back" type of action that also resets the spring looks like it could be done relatively easy. However, it wouldn't be really practical for use under clothing, unless there was a way to pull it back without undressing ( If the handle would not extend past your elbow and could be gripped through one or two layers of clothing it might be doable, though still a little impractical).
Josh E

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

watched the link and it's not a bad idea for a hand held, it gave me an idea (dunno if it would actually work). if the extending mechanism also charges a retraction mechanism that coud be activated with the other hand. just thought i would throw the idea out there.
Kenny Hibberds

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have been obsessed with this game from the day it was revealed to the day of completing it yesterday.

But you all have it wrong
you seem to believe that this is a historical weapon that needs to be taken extremely serious, if you have played the game you will know that he activates the blade two ways, closing his fist and pulling his hand back.

In a painting done by the artists at ubisoft, the mechanism has a piece of leather that comes out of the spring mechanism and attaches to a ring on his pinky.

Now in the game, he can send the blade out and somehow pull it back in without touching the blade or mechanism with his free hand, so if youre going for authenticity you would need to come up with some design that allows you to eject and also bring the blade back into your arm. Altair in assassins creed is able to use the dagger to counter attack enemy attacks by dodging and stabbing with the hidden blade, however when you try to use the hidden blade to front on attack and counter then you will get majorly damaged by your opponents. But thats why the hidden blade is not used for frontal attacking and defending. The Hidden blade is used for silently stabbing people as if you are whispering something in there ear and you thrust the blade into their stomach, the other way it is used is by jumping up and stabbing into the throat or the spine of your victim, wich you would think defeats the point of using it when you could just use a dagger. However thats why this is a game weapon, when he does the jumping strike with the hidden blade, its meant to be done for example from a large crowd and you suddenly run out and jump and strike your victim.

So I think if you were to make a real one(wich is how I stumbled apon this forum) then you would make it so that the blade only shoots out with a a ring around your finger attached to a strong piece of leather or string, or metal bar of some sort. That would make it so that you can eject the blade without slicing into your fingers on accident. So when you pull the string it would release the spring and fire the blade out, then once the blade is extended the locking mechanism is activated as seen the in the video posted a couple posts above, then just like in that video you have to pull the blade back in using a method similar to the one in the video.

Obviously this is not an effective weapon in todays world in most of your opinions, but thats because you seem to think its for front on fighting. If you were to use this mixed with a long sleeve baggy sweat shirt you would be able to stab someone in the back in a large crowd if done properly maybe without anyone noticing, and you would be surprised with how stupid people really can be when it comes to noticing or caring about things done in public.

I am only 17, so I may not be the most creditable person here, but I have thought and studied this. If you look on google images for "hidden blade" you can find the drawing of how the blade looks and should in theory work.

PS Sorry for lack of grammar, im in a hurry.
Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Game thinking here as far as I'm concerned ! Taking advantage of a lost finger might make sense but losing a digit to be able to use a specialized weapon that would have few if any advantages compared to just pulling an ordinary dagger, just doesn't seem useful or rational to me !

Now, as some sort of weird " initiation " it might make some sort of sense but only because " secret societies " can have all sorts of odd traditions.

Oh, and a little good design work would make the mechanism work safely without having the design being dependant on missing a finger if one still decided that the idea what worth it !

A very powerful ballistic opening could be used to power the thrust it self as opposed to just deploying the weapon and having the hand thrust forward: Could open and close faster than the blink of an eye ! So, as an assassination tool of surprise weapon it might still be worth the trouble.

Oh, and back to the loosing of a finger: Deliberately weakening one's grip for use with ordinary weapons is another reason to think that this is a bad idea in real life ! But in a game why not. "

Jean youve got some interesting stuff in all your posts, and this post is really quite interesting in the sense that it has touched on so many aspects of certain attributes of this weapon!
I was playing Assassins Creed just the other day and find it a fascinating game in its own right, the initiation you mention, the loss of this particular finger may act as a sort of reminder or a permanent state of service to the Assassins Creed by losing this finger to attach the mechanised dagger.
The fighting in the game I think is also quite realistic in the sense that you can do nearly anything to disadvantage your attackers or pursuers the dagger in the game is used for stealth assassinations which is probarbly one of the most important parts of the game.
You mention the loss of grip and strength in the left hand for other weapons? He doesnt use any other weapons in his left hand apart from the throwing of knives from pockets on his belt and shoulder so I guess it doesnt prove much of a disadvantage, there is a grapple move you can use which simply throws your enemy back making them stumble and fall to the ground, this is done with the left hand, you can still do this with three fingers and a thumb. Big Grin

I hope I havent gone too far into the content of the game rather than the weapon in contrast.
P.S in relation to the LEGO dagger, its most likely that it doesnt have any mechanism at all or so it seems to me as he has to lift his arm into a verticle position to retract the dagger, this may lead to the conclusion that he has some sort of simple harness that stop the blade falling too far, but he has to flick up or down to retract and bring out the blade.
Big Grin IF ANYONE HASNT PLAYED ASSASSINS CREED I GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL ENJOY IT, YOU SHOULD GO AND TRY IT OUT HOWEVER YOU CAN! Its also very historically correct, in the interviews with the producers, they say that the cities and weapons were deesigned and produced on the game with historians to ensure historical correctness.

Humans trail a path of light, all land and space that hasnt been trodden by man is dark, all dark must be trodden to bring illumination, so that all others can follow the light that we bring.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas Huxtable wrote:
Jean youve got some interesting stuff in all your posts, and this post is really quite interesting in the sense that it has touched on so many aspects of certain attributes of this weapon!

Thanks for the compliment. Big Grin Cool

I did try to do justice to the real world possibilities and limitations of such a weapon but also look at it in the context of a game and game play: To me a well designed strategic/first person/fighting game is more interesting if the game play is made as realistic as possible. The exception would be going in the other direction with a very fantasy based game world. Internal self consistency is important for the game play to feel that one is acting in a real world: Too many contradictions make the suspension of disbelief and immersion into the game difficult.

The game does sound good if the controls permit some semi realistic use of real sword techniques or at least give enough options of guards and attacks that real world knowledge can be used.

Dustin D

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Signed up just to post this for ya'll, this is the official art for the dagger mechanism, it's a 3-part blade, double spring loaded(for retractability) and the pinky controls if it's in or out(extended pinky = out) (retracted pinky = in)
Jon Guevara

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"official art"

that is just an early concept sketch, but pretty "to the point." quite literally too, around these forums. either way, it's fictional, so anyone could make it look as though it were able to do anything. notice how in the picture above there seems to be no real locking mechanism for the 3 parts of the blade. oh well. again, one of my favorite pics from the game's concept art (i too found this website because of Assassin's Creed recently), but not really official. if i came off as a douche or anything, deal. i won't argue.
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Y. Kuipers is probably still asleep so I'll post this for him (sorry Youval):

This is the blade he made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy0TqtvAwjw

Though here it isn't finished yet.

And here is a registration of the Assassins Creed promo-show we did with this blade last weekend on a computer game convention in Utrecht (NL):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oleIAOaFvOA

Finally, here's a picture (phone quality unfortunately) that I just have to show off:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/RedfangBB/DSC00080.jpg

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Y. Kuipers

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Reinier Wink

I will soon upload a vid of the final version. It is SWEET, but probably can't even cut through butter. :P

Kenny Hibberds wrote:

So I think if you were to make a real one(wich is how I stumbled apon this forum) then you would make it so that the blade only shoots out with a a ring around your finger attached to a strong piece of leather or string, or metal bar of some sort. That would make it so that you can eject the blade without slicing into your fingers on accident. So when you pull the string it would release the spring and fire the blade out, then once the blade is extended the locking mechanism is activated as seen the in the video posted a couple posts above, then just like in that video you have to pull the blade back in using a method similar to the one in the video.

PS Sorry for lack of grammar, im in a hurry.

Funny, I had the exact same idea about using a piece of string! Happy
In my version, there's two ways to activate it: a switch on the "elbow side" of the mechanism and a ring in the front linked with the switch with a piece of old guitar-string.

This weapon was designed to work in our show and "stab" other stunt fighters. So the blade isn't sharp and doesn't lock in to place. Still, it had the same effect as in the game and even received a cheer from the crowd.
Y. Kuipers

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay guys, here's the Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3PwQdaVclE

And here's about all the parts, before assembly:

That artwork looks really great, by the way. If I have the courage and the time, I might try to construct a segmented one as shown.
Though, the hardest part would still be to make it retract with a flick of the wrist... that goes far beyond my limited mechanical knowledge. :P
Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Game thinking here as far as I'm concerned ! Taking advantage of a lost finger might make sense but losing a digit to be able to use a specialized weapon that would have few if any advantages compared to just pulling an ordinary dagger, just doesn't seem useful or rational to me !

Many, many things do not make sense, seem rational, or have any useful purpose in film, television, or gaming media, but practicality isn't the point. Crafting a believable framework into which such seemingly absurd things can exist and function outside of reality so that we may enjoy them is! I think many in this thread have taken the item in question a little too seriously from the standpoint of our own reality and not simply considered it a fun fantasy weapon. Who cares if it is or isn't "practical"? How much of the arsenal in James Bond's world falls into the silly, gimmicky category? Oddjob's Bowler hat, the yo-yo saw, the Ghetto Blaster... that doesn't mean we didn't enjoy them.

I in no way meant to imply that the explanation was necessarily a rational one outside of the game itself. I don't think it'd be a particularly bright or glorious initiation ceremony which leaves one minus a finger, but then, one need not look far to find more bizarre happenings all around us. I do believe that providing backstory on the character's missing finger - such as the designers have here - lends a great deal to the depth and feel of the game.

It's nice to see the discussion and enthusiasm brought about here in an Off-topic post, and for those of you who take the time and effort to make real your desires, I salute you.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > retractable dagger?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: