Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > Review: Albion: Gallowglass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Clark

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Review: Albion: Gallowglass         Reply with quote

A great many reviews have been made, and I tell ya, I love all of'em. You have many swords and other armaments, and many manufacturers, and they are all very insightful, informative and enjoyable. But I detect a lack in a certain Oakeshott Typology... Type XIX

I'd love for myArmoury.com to get a review of the Gallowglass. I have a passion for my heritage (Irish, among other things), and I fell in love with that sword ever since I set my eyes on it. I would love to get some insight on it from you guys, to satisfy me until I get my own hands on it.

Thank you, and good day.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Review: Albion: Gallowglass         Reply with quote

Michael Clark wrote:
A great many reviews have been made, and I tell ya, I love all of'em. You have many swords and other armaments, and many manufacturers, and they are all very insightful, informative and enjoyable. But I detect a lack in a certain Oakeshott Typology... Type XIX

I'd love for myArmoury.com to get a review of the Gallowglass. I have a passion for my heritage (Irish, among other things), and I fell in love with that sword ever since I set my eyes on it. I would love to get some insight on it from you guys, to satisfy me until I get my own hands on it.

Thank you, and good day.

Michael,
Welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy Stay tuned, as there is a review of the Gallowglass in the works.

If we have areas/types/etc. we haven't covered it's usually because a volunteer hasn't emerged to write about that topic, plain and simple. Happy

Type XIX swords are under-represented in the market, so it makes a certain amount that there wouldn't be many/any reviews of that type. Also, the Gallowglass was introduced late in August; the first swords were received in September. We have a lot of content in the works (several dozen pices at any given time), and it can take a while for things to get published (two articles I wrote last July are still unpublished for example), so again it's not surprising that we wouldn't have a review, even if the very first recipient of the sword reviewed it right after they got it.

Until the review is published, please have a look at these threads:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8773
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8138

Enjoy! And stay tuned. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael Clark

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thank you greatly, sir, for those thread links, and also for your kind words and welcome. You wouldn't believe how exciting it is to see others appreciating the fine beauty of the XIX, and specifically the Gallowglass. I am quite glad now that I registered for this apparently fantastic community, even if I did only join for the high-res pictures. :embarassed:

Quite understandable how the articles can get held up. I know a fair share of people who are journalism students, so I have a bit of an idea how articles, in most forms of media, can have their processes slowed.

Thank you, once more, on your informative and inviting response. I shall, indeed, stay tuned.
David Lohnes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just thought I'd bump this thread and see if there's any news.

When I first found myArmoury a little over a year ago I came with some long-held preconceptions about what constituted a beautiful sword: long with parallel edges leading from a thicker and blunt ricasso to a neatly rounded yet sharp point.

I didn't know anything about Oakeshott's typology, and as I began to work my way through the Spotlight articles, I kept looking for a sword that fit my preconception.

Type XIIIa, almost, but not quite parallel.
Type XVa, BLECH!!!!
Ah, but finally! the type XIX.

When I saw the Gallowglass, I thought, yes, that's what I'm looking for.

But how quickly I was disappointed I was when I began to realize the type XIX's rather lowly place in our common current estimation. As I continued to study, my disappointed perceptions gradually began to fall more in line with historical reality. I now find type XVa's like Albion's Talhoffer *quite* attractive.

But there's still a place in my heart for that long sword with parallel edges and a distinct ricasso.
And apparently they're not quite as bad as swinging an iron bar.

So I'd love to hear some more practical words from experienced people about how Type XIX's handle for longsword practice and how they would have functioned historically in various roles from the battlefield to the duel.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,
The review is in our publication queue with many other fine pieces. It's tough (okay, sometimes impossible) to know exactly when things will get published as there is a lot more that goes into publishing completed groups than most people would guess.

So the answer is still: stay tuned... Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > Review: Albion: Gallowglass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic