Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First time sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Charles Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: First time sword         Reply with quote

Hi all. I know it's a bit fruity of me to make a new topic as my first post, but I have been wandering around the internet today, and my urge for shiny sharp things has bitten. Since this seems to be the most intelligent sword forum I could find, I wondered if you could throw some advice my way? I am looking to pick up a sword for myself, and even though I do own a couple already, they are very much of the 'sharpened lumps of metal' variety. I think I paid about £40 for the pair! Time to go upmarket, I feel.

I am really looking for a nice, simple sword. Sharp and 'real', if you will, as I don't do re-enactment and thus don't need one specially built for that. Something historically accurate, without too much fancy detail (since typically, more detail always somehow looks worse), and especially something that will not break the bank. I don't get paid the world, and there are other things my wage must (sadly) go on.

I have already picked out a couple possibilities:
Albion Squire Line Knight
Arms and Armour Knightly Riding Sword

As you can see, I am looking primarily for a west European one-handed blade. Something that is made properly, and would be worth actually owning. Could anyone give me any observations or other possible swords to look at?

The scabbards are shockingly expensive though...
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Knightly Riding Sword and I am very happy with the way it handles, it has a simple but still fancy looking hilt and is eye catching without being too ornate. You can also pick up a basic but good scabbard for $85.00 from
Arms & Armor, though it does not come with a frog or other hanging system to the sword belt or baldric.
This is a fast sword and it cuts and thrusts very well!

Bob

Last edited by Bob Burns on Sun 04 Nov, 2007 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Charles, and welcome to myArmoury. And I don't think that it's "fruity" to make a new topic as a first post; many do, and you've already done some background research before asking your question. Happy

It looks like you're off to a great start already, looking at our reviews section and highlighting two excellent choices. You can of course find more information on those swords and brands by doing a forum search, and you may find a couple more online makers and manufacturers listed in our links section than are listed in our reviews.

Scabbards can range in price according to their historical accuracy and craftsmanship. My impression of Albion's scabbards, for example, is that they may be gorgeous top-notch work but they're very pricey. A more affordable option may be an independent scabbard-maker such as Christian Fletcher or Tritonworks; both offer a range of options and historical accuracy.

Holding off on a purchase until you've spent a while researching, both by reading books and exploring your options (as you've been doing already by checking out the reviews), is recommended. Albion and A&A both have sterling reputations so I doubt you would be disappointed with either, but tastes and goals change the most rapidly when first learning the more academic side of this hobby. Of course, the resale values on these items are pretty decent, so I'm not discouraging you from satisfying the short-term itch (I know I wouldn't have the patience myself Wink).

I realize all of this is very general advice, but I mostly wanted to welcome you to the site and reassure you that your tentative selections are generally considered to be good ones. Cheers,

-Gabriel L.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I am really looking for a nice, simple sword. Sharp and 'real', if you will, as I don't do re-enactment and thus don't need one specially built for that.

Not to discourage you from the Albion, since that would likely be my choice, but you should keep in mind that the Squire line swords do not come sharpened. I'm not sure, but I believe you can have Albion sharpen it for alittle extra.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
I'm not sure, but I believe you can have Albion sharpen it for a little extra.

They will, no problem. I think it's $25, unless it's changed.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First time sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic