
| myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term. Last 10 Donors: Adam James, Piotr H. Feret, Graham Shearlaw, Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins (View All Donors) |
| Author |
Message |
Dawit Koho

|
Posted: Sun 07 Oct, 2007 2:35 am Post subject: fixing ring mail leg |
|
|
Hi again
I am searching for sources for fixing ring mail leg.The best will be for early 14th , or any others analogies can help me.
I was thinking about two possibles
1. to fix it on the belt ,but I have it on one pair of trouser-leg and it push on my haunches.
2. to fix on reverse of quilted armour.
So I can´t decide, I know that about this topic ,aren´t so much source so ,I will he happy for some indicative evidence ,which support some variety.
Aren´t any come down ring mail legs also any younger age?
Thanx KOHO
|
|
|
 |
|
Brian Robson
|
Posted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 8:59 am Post subject: |
|
|
Mine are tied around the leg with leather thong in two places - just below the knee and around the ankle. There is definately evidence of this on several effigies.
The ankle tie simply stops it flapping about. The Knee tie holds the weight from below that point while 'bunching' slightly over the knee giving more room to bend it.
I then have it tied off to a belt I wear over my braes. I use two ties - one at the front - similar to my hose, and one 2/3rds of the way around the back.
The top of each leg has the mail fastened to a band of leather about 1 1/2 inches wide that goes around the leg and keeps the top fairly even. (It is flat around the top, but in future I may alter it to be shaped more like standard hose so the front fastening pulls up evenly around most of the leg)
I also thought about making some 'bracers' to hold them up - but I really didn't want all of the weight from my habuerk and chausses concentrated on the shoulders. It is better to get as much weight as you can as low as you can (i.e. the waist).
Hope that helps!
Brian
|
|
|
 |
Dawit Koho

|
Posted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 5:29 am Post subject: |
|
|
Thanx so you have these "legs" only below the knee.
And if I want to have it upon the knee?
Something like this, but there isn´t shown ,how they had it
[img] Codex Manesse,Heidelberg Univer.(1300-1340)
KOHO[/img]
|
|
|
 |
|
Brian Robson
|
Posted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 1:17 am Post subject: |
|
|
No, they come up to just below the groin.
The tie below the knee takes the weight of the mail that hangs below the knee. The weight of it above the knee is carried by the two ties to the belt.
I'll try and post some photo's sometime through the week.
Thanks,
Brian
|
|
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum
|
All contents © Copyright 2003-2026 myArmoury.com All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum
|