Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > best priced backsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: best priced backsword         Reply with quote

hello, i want to buy a scottish type backsword for training use but the range of price that i have seen are very high
someone could tell me vhere i can look for a sword of that type that is both handier for training and good priced?
thank you
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are going to fence with it - look at the Hanwei Practical Backsword here - http://kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2075.htm - That is probably the lowest price you will find for this model and K of A is a good company to deal with. I can't speak for the quality and durability of this piece, but I doubt you'll do better for a sword $200.00 or less.

If you can afford to pay around $450.00, you can get something much better at www.darkwoodarmory.com
Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can also think about Armour Class Mortuary sword or Early Basket, they are here: http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/17Century_Main3.htm#17c14.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may want to check this out. I have a friend who has a Hanwei Basket Hilt Backsword and he loves it.http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=CAS%20Iberia&srch=eqCATE%20CODEdatarq%3Dcas%26eqWWWCAT_2datarq%3Deuropean
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recommend you go for Armour Class rather than Hanwei. I've got one of both, and the Hanwei does leave a bit to be desired. It gets deeper nicks than the AC and the AC is usually a lot better balanced.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll have to put in another nod towards Armour Class.....you may spend a little more, but in the end...they
are so worth it.

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times.......my A-C Mortuary (pictured far right)is the pride of my collection (vintage pieces included).

Everyone and I do mean "everyone" that's handled my Armour Class mort has been in awe. The "Early Basket-hilt" from them would more than likely fit the bill for what you seem to be looking for.

Too, if Scott @ Darkwood is still using Del-Tin back-sword blades in his wares...that would be my 2nd choice.....great work from him as well.

Good luck on your search...and take your time to do all the research....it pays off.

Cheers,

Bill

Attachment: 41.36 KB
Mortuary collection 11-5-06 #2.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I opted for working with someone in the states, by going with Darkwood, and I love my basket. Scott is great to deal with, and a real nice guy to chat with.

I've held an AC mortuary in hand and it is a very nice piece, I just didn't want to deal with shipping overseas.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
I'll have to put in another nod towards Armour Class.....you may spend a little more, but in the end...they
are so worth it.

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times.......my A-C Mortuary (pictured far right)is the pride of my collection (vintage pieces included).

Everyone and I do mean "everyone" that's handled my Armour Class mort has been in awe. The "Early Basket-hilt" from them would more than likely fit the bill for what you seem to be looking for.

Too, if Scott @ Darkwood is still using Del-Tin back-sword blades in his wares...that would be my 2nd choice.....great work from him as well.

Good luck on your search...and take your time to do all the research....it pays off.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I can testify that even fitted with a "crowbar" reenactment blade it's a well balanced and comfortable sword... Really nice.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
I recommend you go for Armour Class rather than Hanwei. I've got one of both, and the Hanwei does leave a bit to be desired. It gets deeper nicks than the AC and the AC is usually a lot better balanced.

Cheers,
Henrik

And it is a Scottish sword made in Scotland. Perhaps you'll want to expand your budget a bit if possible.

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Stephen Hand

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say that I have a lot of trouble recommending a good quality, reasonably priced backsword for my students. The Hanwei swords looked alright as an entry level sword, but we found to our cost that they aren't manufactured correctly (why, oh why do people insist on "improving" on what was done historically?) and break. Armour Class are a lot better, but take an age to make.

A couple of companies are looking at making backsword trainers and I will be interested to see how these turn out.

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen Hand
Editor, Spada, Spada II
Author of English Swordsmanship, Medieval Sword and Shield

Stoccata School of Defence

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > best priced backsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic