Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing : First version of Vendel 1 helmet - Thorkil Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Introducing : First version of Vendel 1 helmet - Thorkil         Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I would like to share with you first version of Vendel 1 helmet, made by me.
Hole helmet was made solely by me, including decoration. I have only commissioned the moulding in a professional foundry.

I am attaching two photos of my reproduction and one photo of original find. More (and bigger) photos you will find here
http://www.thorkil.ovh.org/vendel1_eng.htm

And now about the helmet.

The bowl :
- two halves heat tread and hand forged of 2mm middle carbon, constructional steel,
- two halves welded together,
- finishing - not polished, only cleaned to achieve more authentic look and to show facture of the steel after "hot forging".

Decoration:
- crest, eyebrows and plates (plaques) casted of brass,
- the look of the decoration is exactly like on original helmet, with every detail.

Helmet has hooks for aventail, like original has.

My opinion about the helmet:
I am very proud of this replica, as it is first Vendel helmet that I have made with such details. I have spent a lot of time for researching (and for work, while making this item.

However... The helmet is not ideal.
- two halves were welded with using nowadays techniques (electric tools). But I plan to reconstruct also this aspect in my future productions,
- in original helmet decorated plates have been made with using press-blech technique . In mine replica they are casted. Why? Making first version of this helmet was big experiment for me. First, I made molds of the plates, as I wasn't sure if I will be able to use historical press-blech technique. But, I made few experiments with press-blech technique and now I am sure that this will work and looks very good, because I made first plate in this technique, so I am going to make this way next helmets,
- the crest in original helmet was made of several bronze plates and casted "animal heads" at the front and back of the helmet. I have casted the crest together with "animal heads", as making it with historical technique will extend the cost of helmet a lot. I hope I will have opportunity to reconstruct technique used in original helmet, one day,
- original helmet had decoration also on spectacle. In this version there isn't any decoration in that place, but next helmets will have it;
- this version has only one row plates around the bowl, but next helmets will have more plates, like original find has;
- decoration is made of brass, not in bronze,
- in my opinion nasal is a bit too narrow and the bowl is a bit too .... how to write it in English... sides of helmet should be more vertical, as they are too round, IMO.

So, next helmets will be better, because making first version was one, big experiment and I already have wide experience, now :
1) they will have decorated plated made in historical technique (press-blech),
2) they will have more than one row of decorated plates,
3) they will have decoration on spectacle, as well,
4) the nasal and bowl will have better shape.

Enjoy the photos and feel free to comment.

Best regards from Poland, Thorkil.

P.S. Sorry for my English. I hope everything is understandable.

Attachment: 89.38 KB
31a.jpg

Attachment: 88.84 KB
31c.jpg

Attachment: 82.68 KB
31d.jpg

Attachment: 47.17 KB
vendel_1_a1.jpg

NEW ONLINE SHOP : www.thorkilshop.com

NEW ADDRESS of my web site: www.thorkil.pl

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thorkil-Grzegor...7530780383
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

outstanding, but you knew that already. you know if you ever jsut wanna get rid of this one and build one proper i'll give it a good home Wink
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a beautiful piece. One question : would this have a mail curtain attached?
Bon coeur et bon bras
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys.

Chuck, this helmet already has an owner. Sorry. Wink I made it for my friend in Germany. He ordered Vendel 1 with only eyebrows and crest. I added the rest for free, as I wanted to make it so badly. Some time after having got this order, I got next orders for Vendel 1 and for Valsgarde 8, so next helmets are in progress, already.

Jean-Carle : Yes, original helmet had hooks for aventail.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This helmet is simply gorgeous ! I have to get richer to get one of your vendel helmets one day... Happy

Outstanding work Thorkil. Happy

As a side note, I wonder why so many vendel helmets seems to exists in nearly perfect condition, in comparison with later viking helmets ?

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succčs !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again you surprised me.It is simply work of art.
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like your Vendel 1 very much! I look forward to seeing more of these from you!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo, Michal, Steve - thank you. Happy

Hugo Voisine wrote:

As a side note, I wonder why so many vendel helmets seems to exists in nearly perfect condition, in comparison with later viking helmets ?

Hugo, there is not certain answer for your question. This is one of mystery of Viking period. There was a discussion on myArmoury forum about this. I think it begins at this page http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=22

I wrote there this : "And something, what is my own and my wife's idea : we know from Viking and Pre-Viking graves only those highly decorated helmets, like from Vendel and Valsgarde and Ultuna. If we assume that those were helmets for show, to establish respect, to mark high position of the owner, we could wonder that maybe there was the rule, that only that kind of helmets (only for show, not for fight) could be buried in grave in Scandinavian culture. We know from pictorial depictions, for example, that helmets were worn by warriors (for example depictions of simple conical and spangenhelmets), but none of them has been found so far in Scandinavia, when there are finds of that kind of helmets from Poland, Germany, France, Czech Republic etc. This is very intriguing, in my opinion."

But this is only mine and my wife's wondering about this question. Please, don't tread this as a academic argument.

Last edited by Grzegorz Kulig on Sat 29 Sep, 2007 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with everyone who commented before that this is an incredibly beautiful piece of work and " HIGH ART ".

You obviously know a lot more than most of us about what makes one of these historically accurate in construction methods as well as in superficial appearance and it's a learning experience just reading your detailed post.

I think various levels of historical accuracy are valid choices too keep the price manageable using modern methods: One can be satisfied with a piece looking right or one can try to do things as close to the way we know or assume we know they were made in period.

I think that pushing your skills and knowledge to get closer and closer to period perfection is commendable and I look forward to seeing the next versions.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am speechless!! That is the most spectacular helmet repro I've ever seen!! And this is only an experiment?
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Thorkel,

As the owner of a couple of Valsgarde/Vendel helms by Ivor Lawton, I'd like to congratulate you on you craft. Very very nice!

Mmmm do I fell a commision coming on.

Best wishes

Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys!
Jean, Edward, David - thank you for compliments. Happy Every armourer likes them. Blush

I haven't been writing on forum for a while, because I am very busy and wrapped up in next project - Valsgarde 8 helmet, this time. I hope it will be ready in few days. I will share the photos with you as soon as possible. I am really excited and would like to share my happiness with whole world! Wink

Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yay Thorkel! The whole world can't wait to see your new project. ;-)
Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Torkel,
beautiful helmet by the way, and for your archives here are a couple of pics of the helmets mentioned by my friend Dave Huggins earlier. they are of the Valsgarde helmet and Vendel 1, like yours. As you explained the helmet you have made may only be an experimental one with incomplete details, but I would certainly buy one and wear it with pride.
Cheers,
Bruce
Slawa.

Attachment: 41.71 KB
valsgardeandvendel1.jpg

Attachment: 61.28 KB
[ Download ]
Shayan G

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous. Truly, truly beautiful. Congratulations on your creation, and on your talent!
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi, Bruce, Shayan - thank you.

Bruce - thanks for the photos. I have already seen some photos of replicas made by Ivor Lawton. However, on the photo there is Valsgarde 7 helmet and I have almost finished replica of Valsgarde 8 find. I hope there will be proper light to make good photos. Wink [/b]

Bruce Tordoff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin
Cheers Thorkil,
I look forward to seeing the new Valsgarde helm, with great anticipation, I may be placing an order with you in the near future.
Best regards
Bruce, aka, Brussi Tjordulf
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very impressive sir! I have to admit that I know very little about what makes such a helmet accurate but to my largely uneducated eye this one looks very nice indeed! Coppergate... coppergate... Benty Grange, Benty Grange... Wink
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Grzegorz Kulig
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Russ. It's nice to hear so kind words from another craftsman. ;o)
This is helmet is very accurate, but I just want to make it better. And I will, in near future. Happy
Coppergate and Benty Grange helmet - no problem. Wink However I would need to wear gas mask, because preparing the horn is really stincky work. Laughing Out Loud Wink

Bruce and others, who wait for photos - the helmet is ready. Finally! Cool Unfortunately, it was already too dark, when I fished it. So, photos tomorrow. Today I can only show another helmet I made lately. But it should be in new topic.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing : First version of Vendel 1 helmet - Thorkil
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic