Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword naming Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Douglas Peters

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: sword naming         Reply with quote

So anyone name any of their swords? What sort of names might yall use? Would a piece require a certain level of craftsmanship, or maybe "individuality" to deserve a name?

I've yet to name any of my swords, but maybe I just haven't become attached enough to one. I'm not quite sure if I would just give it an English name, or if it's a viking sword for example maybe research some kind of Norse name for it. As long as the sword feels "right" in hand I think a name is fine, but then again I've never held a custom level sword.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nah, I just call them by what they are. "Darkwood Pappenheimer, Hanwei smallsword, etc." But then again, I do have names for my electric fencing foils, in particular "piece of ......" (darn things never work,lol)
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ran across a guy on SFI who named his Badger Blades... regular, everyday names too. It was rather cute, actually Happy

I call my swords by the names given to them by the maker... Redeemer... Elven Leafblade... Gaddhjalt, etc. Probably the only sword I've ever named would be one I gave to a role-playing character of mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only have one sword I would even consider naming; however, the Auld Dawg already gave Carmen a good name!
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't see any problem naming swords. I believe it's fairly well documented that the Norse warriors or smiths named their swords with some regularity. Patrick would probably be able to verify/denounce that claim.

Cheers!

-- Carl Croushore
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just use the makers name and maybe a description.

For example I now have:

The "A&A GBS".
The "A&A Custom"

And will soon add:

The "CF/AT Redeemer"
The "Albion Regent"

After that I need to get a Rapier...and Aaxe...which will probably be named "Pimp Needle" and "Axe".

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I that always liked the idea of using Latin words for names, for example i used the Latin word "Robur" meaning strength for the name of my sword for a while, it never really stuck, but i still use it every once in a while. To my thinking though, Latin is good because it was the language of educated people for so long, and because a great many inscriptions seems to be in latin. So naming the sword with a latin word has always seemed fitting. I can see, however, using viking or celtic words as well.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my take on it.

Don't set out trying to give a sword a name. Some swords just don't deserve one. If the sword has a special meaning to you then give it a name. If not, don't force it. The sword won't be any better, and the name will probably sound corny. Make it something that has a meaning to you on a personal level, not some flowery sobriquet that sounds of if it came from the latest Dragonlance novel.

I've named two swords in my 20+ years of collecting. "Milestone" by Vince Evans and "Big Johnsson" by Peter Johnsson (Peter translated that for me into Swedish but I don't know how to spell it). Both names are straight and to the point , without being overly complicated and have significance.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: sword naming         Reply with quote

Douglas Peters wrote:
So anyone name any of their swords? What sort of names might yall use? Would a piece require a certain level of craftsmanship, or maybe "individuality" to deserve a name?

For me, it's a combination of both, and other factors as well. My first named sword(my Hanwei Kami katana) was actually named by my sensei, and it also serves as my "nickname": Tetsukaze, or Iron Wind. The name was inspired by the heft and mass of the blade, and the way I cut with it.
For those swords that I named myself, it was the level of craftmanship and attention to detail given by the makers, the individual qualities of the sword, the way feels, handles and performs, the way that I bond with the sword, and also the intent/inspiration of its design.
For instance, the first sword I named was my Albion Riding Sword; when I first took it out of the box what impressed me most was not so much the level of craftmanship, but the feeling that it had a "soul" for lack of a better word. This combined with its size, and the sweet way that it handles, reminded me of those petite women that look so sweet and innocent, but yet inspire a certain amount of "respect"; in other words, everyone avoids being on her bad side Happy . So I named her after a former co worker of mine who fit that description to a T: Alicia.
My AT Banneret, with an Aquilonian upgrade by Christian Fletcher with oxblood dyed leather I named Narqueltaure, or October Forest in Tolkein's Quenya language, because of the color of the leather combined with the "grain" of the steel in the blade; it just had an "Elvish" feel to it.
My Darkwood Teardrop Plate Pappenheimer I named Ridolfo, after Capo Ferro; basically since I'm using a German sword to study Italian rapier.
Overall, if you have any swords that just have a "feeling" to them that you can put a name to, then go for it. If not, maybe sometime on the future there will be a time where you get that "feeling". My suggestion would be to name the sword based on whatever "feeling" you get from it, with whatever language you feel is appropriate Wink

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've said it before but I often think that naming swords in the present day is a bit melodramatic. As Patrick says they tend to end up with silly names that do sound as if they were inspired by a fantasy novel. I've often thought that the names of a sword should actually have something to do with the sword. For example calling your sword "Bonechopper" when the most chopping it's done is pool noodles seems a bit silly. Of course people don't like necessarily want to accurately name their swords today. After all "Wallproper" or "Mantlesitter" sound a little less then cool. I think Patrick has come up with the best compromise, giving his swords names that aren't ostentatious and meaningful to him.

I realize I'm in a minority on this, but heck I even went back and forth on having Rob put that inscription on the baskethilt for me. I finally went with a nice historically accurate sentiment that I hope isn't melodramatic.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
David McElrea

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Baron shall be named "Ceaite'ath-Eldogad'amanrohirish'hazad(ugeail ne hamin do'eleithien bisha'aneal)", which is Turn'ealdanoreanananan for "Grim harbinger of spontaneous yet carefully planned violence from the North by North-Western lands (which have a pleasant view of the sedate yet violent sea)".

I mean it. Really. No... really.
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
My Baron shall be named "Ceaite'ath-Eldogad'amanrohirish'hazad(ugeail ne hamin do'eleithien bisha'aneal)", which is Turn'ealdanoreanananan for "Grim harbinger of spontaneous yet carefully planned violence from the North by North-Western lands (which have a pleasant view of the sedate yet violent sea)".

I mean it. Really. No... really.

How about just "Bob" for short?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David McElrea

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose that would be easier.... makes for a much simpler introduction I'm sure. That'll do. Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I've often thought that the names of a sword should actually have something to do with the sword. For example calling your sword "Bonechopper" when the most chopping it's done is pool noodles seems a bit silly. Of course people don't like necessarily want to accurately name their swords today. After all "Wallproper" or "Mantlesitter" sound a little less then cool. I think Patrick has come up with the best compromise, giving his swords names that aren't ostentatious and meaningful to him.

That's why I used to have a dirk named "Finger-Biter" or "Doofus-smiter......."

It bit me while cleaning it.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David McElrea

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I have to come clean...

I have a bronze sword from the BA Foundry-- replica of an Irish sword. The hiltwork is being done right now in antler and boxwood. I have decided to call it "Beann", which is Irish for (among other things) "tine"-- as in an antler tine. It just seemd to fit the sword somehow-- not too pretentious (to me at least).

Of course when one chooses a name, one always hopes to find something that won't be shortened to something too silly or annoying. I have a suspicion that the other swords might call him "Benny" though...

David
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure, I've named some of my swords. The exact criteria varies from piece to piece, so it's kinda inconsistent.
My usual criteria is whimsical -- whatever mood I was in at the time, I guess. Some examples:

DT 2104 Viking sword -- "Ceiling Biter"
Vince Evans S-hilt broadsword -- "The Mermaid's Song"
A&A St. Maurice sword -- "Space Cowboy" (listen to some Steve Miller Band to figure that out...)
EB Erickson S-hilt broadsword -- "Old MacDonald"
A&A Claymore -- "Schehallion"
DT Gothic Hand-and-a-half sword (5155?) -- "Thalhoffer's Toothpick"

And, a couple swords that are no longer with me....
India-made medievalish sword-like thing -- "Medieval Monstrosity"
India-made Brass Scottish-style basket-hilt -- "McApu"

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I've said it before but I often think that naming swords in the present day is a bit melodramatic. As Patrick says they tend to end up with silly names that do sound as if they were inspired by a fantasy novel. I've often thought that the names of a sword should actually have something to do with the sword. For example calling your sword "Bonechopper" when the most chopping it's done is pool noodles seems a bit silly. Of course people don't like necessarily want to accurately name their swords today. After all "Wallproper" or "Mantlesitter" sound a little less then cool. I think Patrick has come up with the best compromise, giving his swords names that aren't ostentatious and meaningful to him.

I realize I'm in a minority on this, but heck I even went back and forth on having Rob put that inscription on the baskethilt for me. I finally went with a nice historically accurate sentiment that I hope isn't melodramatic.

I like Mantlesitter!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Up until quite recently I referred to any particular sword by a generic description (Scottish Baskethilt) or the name the manufacturor chose (Halstatt or Arbedo). Now I am trying to collect a sword from most every major category. And, as my collection grows, generic names are not descriptive enough and manufacturor's labels can seem somewhat obscure and impersonal. So.... What I have done is to imagine if there was a great military hero/villain that may have carried a similar sword... if so the name of that person becomes the sword's name. So I have swords with names such as Odysseus, Turnus, Ambiorix, Olaf, Magnus, Wallace, Don Quixote and Rob Roy.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Ryan Brault

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i would find a saxon translation for something like "head-cleaver", you can't go wrong with that, i haven't named any swords that iv'e bought, although a have named personal swords iv'e made for myself, i guess i could name them like i name my guitars, name them after ex-girlfriends.
"OH SWEET METAL CUTTING PARADISE, THY NAME BE BEVERLY"
George Hill

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a friend who has named both of his Paul Chen Katanas. One is 'clothesrod' after the sword of a fellow Mushashi dueled, and the other is named 'little crow' due to the relationship between crow demons and the founding of a school of Ninjitsu, which he studies.

I thought this a little melodramatic, and after a period of contemplation, I arrived at the park to practice with him with my wasters. I informed him that I had decided to name my wasters, as he had named his swords. The Longsword waster is now "Dinglehopper." But I don't use it much, I normally use a somewhat short single-hand sword waster, with a bit of padding.

As I took that one, and my buckler, and faced him with it, he asked if it had a name.

I responded, "Oh yes, this one's name is 'scrotal smacker.' "

Whilst I have never actually hit him there, or even aimed there, his stance has changed a great deal since that day. I do believe that the name of a weapon should strike FEAR into the heart of thy enemy. For a practise weapon, this one has the perfect name.

(It's also my way of encouraging him to get a cup without actually injuring him.)

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword naming
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: