Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What to buy, when I get some money. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Miller

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: What to buy, when I get some money.         Reply with quote

So here I am, wanting to expand my collection, or rather, wanting to start a collection, as having one piece hardly counts as a collection. I have been looking at some Albions, but those are at the upper end of my price range

So, assuming an upper limit of 1000 U.S.D., here are my options.

The Crécy from Albion

The Albion Caithness

Del Tin 5173 Schiavona ( I am particularly interested in this piece)

Armour Class Mortuary Hilt Sword

A&A Saxon Military Sword

or a custom made side or Cut and Thrust sword.

I would especially like opinions from owners of these swords, or from people who have handled them.

I include the Crécy because I like it, but I already own a longsword, the Albion Talhoffer, and I would like to get a single hand sword next.

Advice?
Matthew Miller

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also interested in the Albion Liechtenauer, for practice purposes.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello there,

as for the swords you mention I am glad to own several Albions now thanks to Soren who brought them to us.

The Crecy is a really nice hand and a half, which is relatively short compared to perhaps the Thalhoffer (I have the fiore, same blade, different fittings). Though it is really quick and seems a lot more cut orientated than the former. The design is nice, though the fuller converting into the diamond shape blade is not perfectly done.

For the single hander I only have the Yeoman, which is really a beast of a sword. It is short and quick but has even enough blade presence not to make it thrust orientated. Which I would consider it useful only as a second task against light to non armoured enemies as the blade is really wide.

The Liechtenauer is a nice training sword that I can only compare to my DelTin 5143, the latter is really unsuitable for partner training, it is much too soft in the blade and the fittings are not so refined as in the Albions. Though my Liechtenauer gives some strange clicking sound in partner work it is still and absolutely tight, I just imagine the where metal contacts metal there is always slight movement even if parts are wedged into place. To make a long story short. I like the Liechtenauer as a trainer very much, it is quick enough, the turning points seem to be good for me, it is not overly flexible, nor is it too stiff, the handle is a little on the long side, which is good for a trainings weapon. Though some people said it might be heavy, or has too much weight in the blade, this is just the taste of people I think.
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got a Crecy. I recently ditched all my non-Albion swords and won't buy any other production swords. I'd rather have two of these than 10 Windlass swords. (Just personal preference). I like the look of the Patrick Barta custom stuff but that is in a different price league. I have the Albion Agincourt as well as a few others. I don't think you'll be disapointed with any Albion that you go for.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, you've made quite the diverse list and each item on it appeals to me in a different way. I'm not sure I can make a quick decision immediately after reading this post but wanted to reply and say that the A&A Saxon Military Sword is a real interesting piece from many perspectives. It's quite a nice sword and much more versatile than one might immediately presume it to be. I've had mine for well over a decade and have cut many things with it.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see you have the Armour Class Mortuary listed......as you can tell from my review of it, my avatar and from many past posts...

this is the gem of my collection...if had to part with all my swords( both repro & vintage) my A-C mort. would be the only one
I'd never let go. Everyone that has ever picked up my A-C mortuary has been gob-smacked with how if handles and cuts.

Lots of of other excellent choices you have listed....this is the only one I can comment on. Good luck on your quest.

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Matthew Miller

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Upon further consideration I have chosen my next sword, the Albion Norman. It fits what I am looking for at the moment and is well within my range.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Sep, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What to buy, when I get some money.         Reply with quote

Matthew Miller wrote:
The Crécy from Albion

The Albion Caithness

Of the swords on your list, these are the only two I've handled. I can't say that I'm a big fan of the NextGeneration Crecy. I don't really know why; it just didn't do anything for me. There were many other swords of comparable type and size that I preferred better. I just couldn't connect with it I suppose. The like the FirstGeneration Crecy much better; if you can find one of those, I suggest you bag it! And find another one for me, too... Cool

The Caithness was a very impressive piece. It really surprised me. If you like the Caithness, you'll also enjoy the Laird. I handled a Laird during a RT party and couldn't put it down! In fact, I thought the Caithness/Laird handled better than the Knight.

The Norman -- ah, a fine choice! Upon looking at the Norman, its appearance is rather utilitarian but it's still not without an austere attractiveness. When I held the Norman, I thought it handled exceptionally well. Also, it's a superb cutter. I think you'll be very happy with your selection. Happy

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What to buy, when I get some money.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic