Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Historical banners and/or flags? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Historical banners and/or flags?         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just purchased a new display table for my expanding historical collection. In reviewing displays on-line that have really caught my eye, I'm impressed by those where there's a historical banner or tapestry as part of the presentation. See Manning Imperial with the Greek Key tapestry behind their Corinthian, or Castle Keep with a tartan behind their Claymore.

Does anyone hear know of any good sources on-line for obtaining historically authentic banners and flags? Roman legionary standards, the infamous Raven flag of the Vikings, a Hospitaller banner, etc?

Thanks for any advice on where to look! So far my Google-fu is failing me. ;>

Chris
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try to find re-enactment societies for those periods, they will likely have images of what you're after, and if they don't they will probably be able to point you in the right direction.
"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Surprisingly enough - Ebay.

Not the generic 3x5' nylon, but a company on there (don't laugh - WoWco) has these:

Edward Pennant

Henry Tudor Pennant

and

Richard Pennant

Also, there are decent Roman Banners there as well.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Historical banners and/or flags?         Reply with quote

Christopher Johnson wrote:
Hi all,

Just purchased a new display table for my expanding historical collection. In reviewing displays on-line that have really caught my eye, I'm impressed by those where there's a historical banner or tapestry as part of the presentation. See Manning Imperial with the Greek Key tapestry behind their Corinthian, or Castle Keep with a tartan behind their Claymore.

Does anyone hear know of any good sources on-line for obtaining historically authentic banners and flags? Roman legionary standards, the infamous Raven flag of the Vikings, a Hospitaller banner, etc?

Thanks for any advice on where to look! So far my Google-fu is failing me. ;>

Chris

Hi Chris
I'm not sure if you have it in the US, but in the UK (and some of the other former colonies, e.g. Canada, of same) the Order of St John run first aid, ambulance etc. services as a charity, using the eight pointed hospitaller cross, so maybe they have flags for parades and such. Just a thought.
Geoff
Alexander Borum

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ive been searching for something akin to what your seeking, i was just looking for someone, who made authentic custom made banners/flags, so far not much luck on that sadly.
-/ Alexander K. Borum
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if you're "crafty" you can go HERE for a tutorial on making period, dyed silk banners.
Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Alexander Borum

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"looks down on hands" i really doubt i could make stuff like that, great guide though and we do have some crafty dying ladies in my group...
-/ Alexander K. Borum
Christopher Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. Who would have thought so many banners and flags were hiding on eBay? Did find some good stuff for the Romans and the English, but still looking for other periods of history. I'm in the same boat with the last poster... these hands probably aren't cut out for beautiful tapestry making. ;>

Chris
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Flagsource offers a very nice Raven Banner although I do not know if it has an actual historical provenance.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Viking answer lady has a good article on historical/literary evidence for the Viking Raven banner. It might not help you directly in buying one, but it gives a good idea of what the banners probably looked like historically. After reading the article, I now really want to make my own Raven banner, though I'll make sure someone else carries it into battle for me. Wink

Edited to say:

Ooops! I forgot to post the link to the article: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/banners.shtml

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
The Viking answer lady has a good article on historical/literary evidence for the Viking Raven banner. It might not help you directly in buying one, but it gives a good idea of what the banners probably looked like historically. After reading the article, I now really want to make my own Raven banner, though I'll make sure someone else carries it into battle for me. Wink

Edited to say:

Ooops! I forgot to post the link to the article: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/banners.shtml

The coin shown in the link bears a strong resemblance to the raven banner made by Flagsource. Good luck making your own. At one time you could buy outdoor grade flag material from the company. However, when I tried to get some more a couple of years ago they told me that it was no longer available to the retail customer.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a photo of a Raven Banner that is available commerically. My Clan Society owns one and my wife made one for me in a similar design some time ago. You can see the resemblance to the banner pictured on the coin.

Attachment: 7.43 KB
viking_banner.gif

Lin Robinson

Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can check the Flags/Banners link on this website http://www.outfit4events.com/. They will work with you on the type of material you would like to use.
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Historical banners and/or flags?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic