Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sailing off into the sunset and leaving my wife... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Sailing off into the sunset and leaving my wife...         Reply with quote

Well, my life has just changed dramatically. I have just moved to Maine where I'll be attending the Landing School Of Boatbuilding And Design. If all goes well, I'll will have a brand spanking new career as a boatbuilder. I'm really looking forward to making money doing something I actually enjoy. So, for the next year I'm going to be living in Kennebunkport.

Now for the bad part...my wife will be staying in upstate New York. She has a good job there (including free health insurance for both of us!) and we really can't afford to have her move with me. It really sucks because we haven't really spent more than a few days apart since we've been together. But I know it's only a temporary situation and we'll have a better life after I'm out of school. I probably won't be able to post here as often as I have in the past but I try to not let my position as a top 15 poster slide too much.

Constant and true.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We went through a similar experience a few years ago.

My wife decided to return to college and get her masters degree. Since she's a teacher this meant that she was gone all summer long for three years, leaving the kids and I to fend for ourselves. It was difficult, but in the end it was worth it. She now has a job that she enjoys more than the old one, and it was a *huge* increase in her salary.

Sometimes getting ahead in life means living with inconvenience for a while. Good luck.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Sometimes getting ahead in life means living with inconvenience for a while. Good luck.

Thanks Patrick. I agree completely. I've heard quite a few similar stories to yours. It's going to be tough but in the end well worth it.

Constant and true.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Best wishes for the both of you , Jay .....
Good luck with school .....keep us posted on how things are going !

Slàinte, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Frederick B.

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jay, it's great that you're attending boatbuilding school.
BUT ... (here's where I rain on the parade) .
The real challenge will be making a living from the trade.
Most of the work available these days is finishing the interiors of glass hulls.
Wages in Maine quite frankly suck; that is *if* you can get a job at a well known yard such as Hinckley's.
You *will* be one hell of a good finish carpenter after you're through there, that is for sure.
There may be more money to be made in Port Townsend WA. than on the East coast when all is said and done.
My Nephew works there for Brion Toss the traditional Rigger.
http://www.briontoss.com/

Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Rick
David White

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good luck Jay!

Keep the wind at your back.

dave
Jim Lindsey

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good luck, Jay! I wish you all the best in your new endeavors.

It kind of reminds me of when I spent years on the road. From September 1990 until February 2000, I was the pedal steel guitarist for country artist Ty Herndon. When Ty got is record deal with Epic and we started touring in 1995, I was gone from home all the time. We'd be out for weeks or months at a time and then home for only a few days (about two or three), then back out on the road again. I understand all too well what it's like being separated from home & family and I know it's difficult. However, my wife and I always made the best of it and looked at things like this ... we might be apart for a while, but when back together, we always had something new to share. It was difficult, but not really all that bad. Happy

Again, wishing both of you all the best!

"And so it shall be that in the days of peace, one sword shall keep another in its scabbard."

Have a great day ! Best Regards,
Jim
Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay,
I'll add my voice to the chorus of "Good Lucks".
Mike
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Jay, best of luck to you.

About a year ago I walked away from the daily rat race and decided to be a polisher full time. Nobody, and I mean *nobody* gets rich polishing. Most don't even make a living. I certainly took a significant pay cut. And I've never worked harder. I work long hours, usually 7 days a week. No paid vacation, no paid holidays, no health benefits, only the occasionally run to the hospital for stitches... Wink

So this was either the stupidest thing I've ever done or the best thing I've ever done. Right now I'm pretty sure it was a good thing... But it really doesn't matter now. It is the choice I made. If necessary I'll make new choices when they arise. But if you don't try...

And when I'm down about it I remind myself of one of my favorite poems -- The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost.

Quote:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I...
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Sometimes you just have to choose the path that's right for you. It may mean sacrifice, it may be difficult. But it sounds like you have a wife who, like my lovely wife, fully supports your decision. So good for you. Go for it. And good luck.

Keith Larman
http://www.summerchild.com
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good luck, Jay.

Do you need anyone to look after that Massey/Parrel leaf blade? I wouldn't want it feeling neglected. Big Grin
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Finally I'm back online...         Reply with quote

Hi folks. Well, I finally managed to get back online. When I got to Maine I found out that not only do I not have my own phone line, I also have no local number for my current ISP. I am renting a room in a house that is owned by a semi-retired couple. There are really no apartments in Kennebunkport so a room is the best I could do. I hope to have my own phone line and internet access in the next two weeks (hopefully sooner). Right now I'm visiting my parents in MA and using their computer. School is going very well so far. We have been furiously sharpening all of our plane blades and chisels which has given me some needed experience with a grinder. I should be able to put a nasty edge on a sword now. Just in case, I'll start with a cheap sword, though. Because school lasts for just one year the hours are looong. We have to be in the shop by 7am and don't leave until 5pm or later (depending on what we're working on). There are easily two or more years worth of learning crammed into the year we're in school. It's been really tough being away from my sweetie but we're starting to get into the groove of being on our own. Unfortunately, because of our schedules, we won't get to see each other again until mid October. That really sucks! After that we should be able to get together at least once a month. Thanks to all of you for the well wishes. It really means a lot to me. Once I get my internet connection back up and can stop in here and SFI, Maine will feel even more like home.
Constant and true.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sailing off into the sunset and leaving my wife...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic