Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Angus Trim? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Wehr

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Angus Trim?         Reply with quote

Has anyone had any recent contact with Gus? It's been well over a month since I've received an email from him about my sword that I've ordered from him and I don't know what else to do. This is my first true serious sword purchase so I'm a bit lost at exactly how to get this resolved.

If anyone has any suggestions, would they please let me know?

Sincerely,

John
Stephen Murray

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Angus Trim?         Reply with quote

John Wehr wrote:
Has anyone had any recent contact with Gus? It's been well over a month since I've received an email from him about my sword that I've ordered from him and I don't know what else to do. This is my first true serious sword purchase so I'm a bit lost at exactly how to get this resolved.

Sincerely,

John

He posts here, on swordforums, and on the forums at tinkerswords.com. You could send him a PM at any or all of these sites.
John Wehr

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Angus Trim?         Reply with quote

Stephen Murray wrote:

He posts here, on swordforums, and on the forums at tinkerswords.com. You could send him a PM at any or all of these sites.

It might help if he would answer my email, or my PM. I'm trying to get something resolved and I'm having either incredibly bad luck getting a hold of him, or I'm going to get screwed out of 600+ bucks.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Angus Trim?         Reply with quote

John Wehr wrote:

Sincerely,

John

Relax. You're not going to get screwed out of anything. Waiting is the name of the game in this business. Angus Trim is 100% reliable. Like most people in the business, he will usually (but not always) take much longer than the initial estimate to deliver your sword. This is a fact of life when buying high end swords.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
John Wehr

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Angus Trim?         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

Relax. You're not going to get screwed out of anything. Waiting is the name of the game in this business. Angus Trim is 100% reliable. Like most people in the business, he will usually (but not always) take much longer than the initial estimate to deliver your sword. This is a fact of life when buying high end swords.

That's what I had heard, which is why I went with him. Well, it seems like he's emailed me. Seems like my others have been bouncing around on his email. Odd.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Angus Trim?         Reply with quote

John Wehr wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

That's what I had heard, which is why I went with him. Well, it seems like he's emailed me. Seems like my others have been bouncing around on his email. Odd.

Good to hear that he got in touch with you and I also understand ( got used to ) that delays are sort of unavoidable with custom sword orders unless they are truly " Off the Rack/Peg " purchases of swords in stock.

I do get much more annoyed by bad communications and having to chase people to know what the problem is: I'm always pleased when problems or delays are brought to my attention by the supplier and this is much better customer service than hoping that the client won't notice that his sword is late !

Even when an order was delayed many times I have always been fine with it when the communication was up front about it.

Oh, and " Spam " blocking software can sometimes block your e-mails or some other weird e-mail technical issues: So when I don't get replies to e-mails it is good to keep in mind that just maybe the message wasn't received before assuming that one is being ignored. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Waiting!!!!!!!         Reply with quote

Greetings John Wehr, It seems to be the business standard these days. I have been waiting for quite a while on Albion to deliver their "Squire Line" Viking sword to me. One of their "basic" models but apperently they do not have anybody available to build it in a timely fashion. Gods forbid if you are dealing with any of the supposed "good" reenactor suppliers. They take your money fast enough but if they do not come through, you need to wait because they are a "small" company. I have come too realize, yes you want my money but can you deliver what I purchased? If you can't, then don't say you can. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I spoke with Gus and Tinker several weeks ago. Gus bought a hugh lathe/milling machine and has several months of staggering payments to make or lose the whole shebang (as we say down here.) I understand he was taking some fairly intesnsive military contracts to get this burden off his shoulders first. My guess is all the "fun" custom stuff is on the back burner for a while until he gets his purchase straightened out. Gus, like so many of our craftsmen fellows on this Forum are nor getting rich my any means. This is a labor of love for most of them and sometimes it just takes a while for things to settle down.

I agree, Gus is a great guy and you will hear from him but patience is a virtue when you start collecting swords.

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Angus Trim?         Reply with quote

Quote:

Waiting is not the name of the game in this business. The name of the game in business is for vendors to perform in a professional manner, as businessmen, and meet the expectations that they, themselves define. Please do not propagate the notion on this forum, that bad business practices are acceptable in this industry. They absolutely are not. It has always been a goal of this site to promote a more healthy industry surrounding our hobby and part of that promotion is to aim for better business practices, better products, and better informed consumers.

If it is a "fact of life" that deadlines are missed and delivery dates are extensive and long, then it is the vendors' responsibility to clearly outline that to customers. This empowers the customer to make an appropriate decision and frankly, makes it easier on the vendor.

If slipped estimates and communication problems are obvious to everybody else then they are certainly obvious to the maker. Given that it's obvious to the maker, a failure to appropriately set expectations and intentionally not disclose such information is, at best, bad business and perhaps much worse than that.

Note that these comments are not directed nor limited to Angus Trim but to all business people in this industry and any industry.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
I spoke with Gus and Tinker several weeks ago. Gus bought a hugh lathe/milling machine and has several months of staggering payments to make or lose the whole shebang (as we say down here.) I understand he was taking some fairly intesnsive military contracts to get this burden off his shoulders first. My guess is all the "fun" custom stuff is on the back burner for a while until he gets his purchase straightened out. Gus, like so many of our craftsmen fellows on this Forum are nor getting rich my any means. This is a labor of love for most of them and sometimes it just takes a while for things to settle down.

I agree, Gus is a great guy and you will hear from him but patience is a virtue when you start collecting swords.

Yeah, payment 57 is upon me this coming week {leaving 3 afterwards}, $3600/mo. For a one man shop, that's pretty heavy, and it got heavier after the winter's disasters........

swords are fun
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Yeah, payment 57 is upon me this coming week {leaving 3 afterwards}, $3600/mo. For a one man shop, that's pretty heavy, and it got heavier after the winter's disasters........

Congratulations on being so close to the light at the end of the tunnel, Gus. That's got to feel good. A one-man shop with a large equipment bill is a scary thing.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

Congratulations on being so close to the light at the end of the tunnel, Gus. That's got to feel good. A one-man shop with a large equipment bill is a scary thing.

Thanks Nathan

It does feel good........

I thought about throwing in the towel early in April, after the March disasters, including the final straw, the flooding of the shop.........

But I looked at things at that point, and realized that it was only a few more months, and I'd be done with it. It'll be nice to be able to leave the Navy work.......

This winter, a different business, a different business model......

swords are fun

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Angus Trim?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic