Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wooden war maul question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Clarke

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Wooden war maul question         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, my good friend Jessie has been wanting one of those war hammer maul things with the wooden handle and large wooden block for a head. He can't find one, so I decided to make him one for his birthday. I know how to work with wood pretty well so i have that covered, but when I talk to him about it, he says that he would really like one with those thick metal bands or straps that wrap around the head, held in place by large bolts. I do not know how to do that. I don't know where to get them or how to put them on the wooden head and get a very tight and secure fit. I was thinking that there may be something that I could bend around the wood head, and then tighten it with a wrench or something, and not one of those thin steel bands that are tightened with a screwdriver. I have some basic knowlage when it comes to red hot steel and I could handle something like that as long as it is very basic. (I could heat a band up red hot and bend it around the wooden head, and where the 2 ends meet, maybe I could bolt them together somehow.....this is about the limit of my abilites.)
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Maul, etc.         Reply with quote

Hi John........I work with making this sort of gear pretty much full time now.....and what I'd be doing is sniffing around to try and find steel pipe of a resonable diameter....you'll only need a few inches of it. Sometimes the metal supply companies or metal manufactures will cut you off some from workshop leftovers. If you can get some treated pine outdoor log slightly bigger than the pipe then your almost there. Actually, if you make the same thing a bit longer, put a metal band on both ends with a ground spike in one end and a small steak in the other, then you got yourself an authentic type of field anvil !

Cheers !

Attachment: 53.68 KB
[ Download ]

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merv that's a great picture, where did you come across that? I've never heard of such a thing. Very cool.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is how I did it:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7501&highlight=

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/Osterberg/conan/hammer/

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Field Anvil         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Merv that's a great picture, where did you come across that? I've never heard of such a thing. Very cool.

Hi Gavin.......Yes, I am constantly suprised whats lurking around in museums, books, auctions and private collections. I am always finding ( on-line mostly ) things that I never knew existed.......or, sometimes one assumes that some particular thing must have existed like the field-anvil, but to actually see one is suprising.
I dont mean to skip the subject of this post, but, in fact, the anvil is made the same way as a maul so it is interresting. Perhaps there is an original maul out there too somewhere ?

Cheers

Attachment: 93.74 KB
[ Download ]

Merv ....... KOLR

Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: War Mallet         Reply with quote

Hi........Just came across the only commercially produced "war mallet" that I know of.
I believe that they were mostly used as an auxillery weapon, ja ?

Attachment: 52.19 KB
War Mallet.jpg

Merv ....... KOLR

Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: War maul         Reply with quote

I just came across a very interresting photo of what appears to be a period engraving of a battle c1420 which shows two Mauls being used in combat. It also has some other unusual items like a glaive on a short two-handed mounting.
Unfortunalely the site its from is in the Finnish language however all the other images on the page are of original period items. The armour is also notable, eg, the guy on the left in the spotted 'skirt'.
If theres enough interrest, we could discuss this pic in another thread.

Cheers

Attachment: 89.51 KB
European, c1420.jpg

Merv ....... KOLR

Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merv-

Cool pic, thanks.

At a guess the 'spotted skirt' is a splinted style with the splints on the inside.

-Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: War maul         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
I just came across a very interresting photo of what appears to be a period engraving of a battle c1420 which shows two Mauls being used in combat. It also has some other unusual items like a glaive on a short two-handed mounting.
Unfortunalely the site its from is in the Finnish language however all the other images on the page are of original period items. The armour is also notable, eg, the guy on the left in the spotted 'skirt'.
If theres enough interrest, we could discuss this pic in another thread.

Cheers

Hello!
It's an interesting picture! I have a finnish friend, if you posted the link, I could ask him, to translate it for us. Or at least some parts of it.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wooden war maul question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic