Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A good swordplay - jousting - medieval game? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: A good swordplay - jousting - medieval game?         Reply with quote

Any of you could point me to good computer game based on viking, medieval ore renaissance swordfighting and battling?
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Age of Empires II (get the expansion too)- it's what started my interest in the middle ages

Medieval Total War - Fun, more detailed than all of the others, I'd say, but I think AoE2 has it beat by a long shot

Empire Earth - some parts of the game deal with the middle ages, although it touches on all parts of human eras - stone age to digital :P

Stronghold II - one of my all time favorite games, focuses on castle warfare and is extremely addictive. Imagine sim city meats the middle ages. You need to be an expert at economy related issues as well as warfare. Words cannot express how fun this game is Laughing Out Loud

I'll try to think of more. If you had to pick a single one from these lists, go to AoE2. Stronghold II would be my second choice though.
Chris Kelson

Reading list: 26 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mount & Blade may be exactly what you're looking for: http://www.taleworlds.com/
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mount & Blade is highly recomendable, and quite adictive, for a public beta.
It also features a large series of free mods, such as 1066 sicily, or the 100 years war...
Hours of fun...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A good swordplay - jousting - medieval game?         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
Any of you could point me to good computer game based on viking, medieval ore renaissance swordfighting and battling?

It sounds to me like Bruno's more referring to real time action games, rather than strategy games.

I didn't like Stronghold 2 that much. I found that there was too many different things to have to micro-manage all the time. Whereas Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader seemed to get the balance right, the extra additions for Stronghold 2 seemed to make the game less fun.

Of course, I'll readily admit that I'm significantly poorer at strategy games than many other people. That doesn't stop me from playing them, but I lack the skills that many elite StarCraft players (and the like) possess.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though it's a bit old, Blade of Darkness is a decent PC game for medieval-style battling: http://pc.ign.com/articles/153/153870p1.html

Actually, even although there's quite a few elements that aren't realistic, the combat set-up for the Legend of Zelda series, from The Ocarina of Time onwards, has arguably been the most realistic sword fighting in a game.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote=\"Elling Polden\"]Mount & Blade is highly recomendable, and quite adictive, for a public beta.
It also features a large series of free mods, such as 1066 sicily, or the 100 years war...
Hours of fun...[/quote]

Thank you all for your help.

I downloaded Mount and Blade but I got stuck at the configuration page, the DONE button doesn\'t activate.

I admit being lazy since I rarely read instructions manuals (maybe I\'m not alone).

Are there known issues?
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Thief series, especially the newest (Thief: Deadly Shadows) might also be worth checking up. They're stealth games rather than combat games, but you'll almost inevitable come across a few fights during the course of the missions, and in some cases you get to use swordsmanship movements that smack of Marozzo--at least to my inexperienced eyes.
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have to love the Thief series...not necessarily the most accurate as far as historical swordsmanship....but great games nonetheless. Assassins Creed also looks to be a rather fun game with at least a little medieval combat thrown in.
Dan
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, I have never had issues with M&B install. My vote for a historical/medieval themed game is still M&B.
The weapon play, and the horsmanship are pretty much the best out there.

Good luck!
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would vote for "Mount and Blade" as well. It focuses mainly on the combat with no magic or potions to muddy the waters. The weapons and armour are a bit eclectic, but I'm hoping that would improve with the next version.

I've never had problems with installation either, and I've played 3 different versions of it as well as a couple of the mods. May I suggest downloading it again? It could be that your first download got corrupted somehow. Happy
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
I would vote for "Mount and Blade" as well. It focuses mainly on the combat with no magic or potions to muddy the waters. The weapons and armour are a bit eclectic, but I'm hoping that would improve with the next version.

I've never had problems with installation either, and I've played 3 different versions of it as well as a couple of the mods. May I suggest downloading it again? It could be that your first download got corrupted somehow. Happy

Done it twice.

really strange, and no hints in the dedicated forum, apaprently.

I just can give my character a name and play with various settings, the done button remains inactive.

Thank you all anyway, maybe I will switch to Vista
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah! you need to place all the available points before the game lets you finish character generation... This includes your weapon points.
just click the + signs untill there are none left.
Should work

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Ah! you need to place all the available points before the game lets you finish character generation... This includes your weapon points.
just click the + signs untill there are none left.
Should work

Yup, thats it. Assign all your attribute points ect then it will say "Done"
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Worked!

Now I must learn how to play, for the moment I cannot even kill dummies .. waiting for kids to help.
Lee Craven

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be sure and check out the mods available once you get familiar with the game.

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,9469.0.html

These are the real jewels of M&B.

As for killing dummies, it's a matter of timing, and getting your perspective right, which can be hard when you are trying to get your head around 3D spaces on a computer monitor.
Bob Hir

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rune:

http://runegame.com/

Whether the normal game, or the Halls of Vahalla (get the Rune Bot mod), excellent sword action, etc..

If your a Viking fan, this is a must have, running like 9$ on ebay now adays..
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mount and Blade mods actually include swords from Albion. They got the names changed after awhile for copywrite issues in some of the mods...

But it's still the only place you can actually get in a fight with an Albion Talhoffer without going to jail. Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hehe...
My character runs/rides around in my real world armour;
Light mail and Plate, Mail leggs, Guard Helmet, kite shield, Spear, and Balanced Sword. :P

Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I gotta say thanks for bringing M&B to my attention I downloaded it a week ago and it is awsome. Makes a nice break from WOW !. That said i think they were discussing this game on the History Channel. does anyone else remember that?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A good swordplay - jousting - medieval game?
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: