Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying a sword in San Marino Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Buying a sword in San Marino         Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
I'm going to San Marino and I would like to know what are the prices of swords there, which brands will I meet there and maybe some other details about buying a sword there...
Thanks!
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a sword in San Marino         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Hello everybody!
I'm going to San Marino and I would like to know what are the prices of swords there, which brands will I meet there and maybe some other details about buying a sword there...
Thanks!

I haven't been there for a couple decades despite proximity, as far as I know fro other reenactors it can be a good place for low to medium range products.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm basicaly interested in Hanwei or MRL products so I think it would be medium price range?
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are going by Cesta Castle, take some pictures of the German 'gothic' gauntlets for us!
jamesarlen.com
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be a part of excursion so I probably won't have much time, but I'll try... Happy
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still searching for informations... Big Grin I look for 11th or 12th century sword which would be used in crusades (1-3)... So if you know which brand makes good quality replikas for medium price and could be found in San Marino, let me know...
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Still searching for informations... Big Grin I look for 11th or 12th century sword which would be used in crusades (1-3)... So if you know which brand makes good quality replikas for medium price and could be found in San Marino, let me know...

Rather than buying hastily in a tourist place filled with a bric a brac of trifle things and utter junk you could directly buy a good sword from Deltin: he is located in Friuli, so he is closer to Croatia than to most of the italian territory.

Having one of his weapons sent to your doorstep by mail shouldn't cost you much, or you could make a trip yourself by car to Maniago

I saw a San Marino vendor at Brescia's recent Exa weapons exhibiton, he had just low level indian stuff.

To sort decent stuff from bad would be a time consuming task during your visit, if you are with a tour definitely you won't have time to do much and buying hastily will just make you regret your buy later on
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Just one more thing, can you (or anyone else) tell me what are the usuall prices for the Del Tin swords?
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Thank you very much. Just one more thing, can you (or anyone else) tell me what are the usuall prices for the Del Tin swords?

I inquired some time ago so i can't remember, anyway the medievlas should be in the 300 - 400 euros range.

I would also consider an albion squire line, the medieval single handed is considered an excellent sword by an important italian fencing master whose name I could tell you only privately.

It costs just 300 euros bu it is just an albion knight with a simpler handle wrapping and a slightly simpler hilt, for the rest it is perhaps the best value for that money you can find in Europe (shipping from Denmark, Albion Europe, from the representative mr. Soren Niedzella).

As for Deltin, just drop him an email, you will get a price list quickly (maybe after the present holydays, factories are all closed in italy on August).
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. I think I know enough to make a decision now... Happy
Alessio J. Orlandi

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i live few Kms from S. Marino, and being there many times.

My first sword is from S. Marino, exactly from Medieval Store (www.medievalstore.net). One handed sword+drinking horn = 180 Euros. The sword is more or less a S. Maurice sword (quite similar).
Medievalstore's price start from 180 euros and rise up to 250 euros circa depending on the refinements (pommel, hilt and so on). My sword is quite heavy despite its dimensions (if i'm not wrong 74cm blade) and blade is 4mm thick at the hilt. Balanced at 4 "fingers" from the hilt. Good steel, very resistant. I think the "boss" of Medievalstore is from east europe (his name is Roland i suppose). It was told me that recently his shop moved from the old city down to the "modern quarters". There should be a big signal showing the way to it.

There are other two or three interesting shops in the old city. One sells more or less the same things as medievalstore, plus some Del Tin stuff. It's managed by an Italian or S.Marinese guy. The other shop is managed by a German and has got very interesting stuff, very well done, but higher prices (there was a very common sword at 400 euros, but veeeery well manifactured anyway)

Sorry, but i lost the paper with all the addresses on it :-(

Sorry for my poor english too.

Have fun in S. M.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. I would consider this first sword you talk about because it is the style I want and i need a resistant sword... And I would definitely something from Del Tin if I saw it...
Again, thank you very much!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I won't see San Marino, the trip is cancelled. But, I found some swords that I like here in Croatia. First, there is this sword - http://minishop.t-com.hr/replikart/ProductDet...mp;gid=38. It is dated to 1219 I would like to know could it also fit into 12 century with this type of hilt, pommel and the blade.
Second, there are Generation 2 Norman, 12th century and the Third crusade sword. 12th century sword and the third crusade swords are actually the same sword... Do you think Gen2 swords look authentic enough for the period or should i rather buy Windlass Sword of Reval (of course if it can fit into 12th century) ? And what about quality of Windlass and Gen2 blades? As much as I know Gen2 are more durable swords but they probably doesn't handle as well as Windlass?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying a sword in San Marino
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic